Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zokora

Options
  • 15-09-2006 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Last night I think we saw why we bought Zokora. A strong running central midfielder who will only get better as he settles into the club/team.
    Also very impressed with Chimbonda and Ekoto.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Couldn't agree more with you ... i think Zokora showed great athleticism and put himself about everywhere ..he had a good turn of speed aswell .... i think our back four look pretty solid aswell now especially now that Ledley's back

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i was extremely impressed at what i saw last night.
    i thought chimbonda is going to be a real addition to the squad down that right flank, and cool as a cucumber, but not as cool as ekotto at left back.
    some very smart moves, a great passer as well.

as for huddlestone, wow. he was awesome. i still think we miss carrick in a big way, but i also think that we have great quality and depth that shows that we can still play a great game when we lose one or two important players.

i am still so unhappy with defoe though. i really dont like him. he didnt figure in much. hes just not a team player, and he doesnt seem to have the strength or height to compete. he is only at his best when running at the opposition, and he never seems to put himself in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I agree that Zokora was very impressive, looks set to be an excellent player for us.

Overall I thought we could have pushed on a bit more, Defoe didn't really link up with the midfield at all. I thought the full backs were also very good, particularly Chimbonda and the central defence was solid. Keane was lively when he came on but shouldhave scored, maybe a lack of confidence the way he tried that shot rather than rounding the keeper around the outside?

Having seen that the sub kepper looked a bit dodgy at the end of the first half we never really tested him in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

zokora, ekotto, dawson were mamoth last night.

job done.

fav part was when their right winger tried to should ekotto, the poor fella bounced off him onto the ground. classic, now lets get on a run in the pl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I must say I was somewhat sceptical about the respective abilities of zokora and chimbo but so far the have shown they are worthy additions to the squad. Chimbo has been epic for so far imo getting up and down the wing and tackling hard and zokora looks like he could be a more than worthy replacement for Carrick. I must say though im still somewhat sceptical about ekkotto. its good that hes physical but he gives away too many frees. He has shown glimpses of brilliance though so hopefully he will settle down a bit.

I think it was a good game last night. We were always comfortable and never looked like we werent gonna take all three points (although according to the papers slavia started out brighter, we never settled and by the 60th minute we were under real pressure:rolleyes: ). It would've been nice to be a bit more optimistic in the second half but job done imo. should easily make it to the group stages now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Zokora, he's gonna be fantastic. There's a learning curve from French football (look at Essien). I think if Jenas/Tainio/Hudds can get their acts together and put in performances like last season, Zokora could show us what he's capable of, like in the world cup.

The problem with Chimbonda is that he hasn't had the support from midfield to really make his presence felt, and certainly not the movement upfront. Ekotto looks good, intelligent, good dribbler. I still prefer Pyo personally, but the competition will only lead to good things.

Advertisement