Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popes comments about Islam.

• 15-09-2006 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I am pre-empting possible issues on a controversial topic in the news. Please keep all related comments to what happened in this thread and please remain within the guidelines of the charter. Thanks.

Here is the full speech (so people can understand context)
    http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=94748

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Even before reading the full speech I pretty much knew his words were being taken out of context. He quotes what someone else said, hardly worth getting worked up about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I got bored of reading it all as it mostly a load of crap about, well I'm not quite sure. But it seemed more like he was using that statement from some old emperor as an example of what a load of rubbish all religions used to spout much more often about destroying each others infidels and he then seems to go on about saying thats a load of old cobblers. Really he should have found a better example to use of some ancient Islamic text saying that the daft christians were all just about using the sword to spread their gospel though, but it didn't really seem like he was actually attaking Islam at all.

Just proves that hes a bit daft really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

The quote about forced conversions to Islam will get the headlines, but indeed this is not really his point. At the same time, he is implicitly suggesting that Mohammed preached religious tolerance in his early years (when he needed to be tolerated), but changed the message to one of expansion when he was powerful enough to do it. Essentially he’s suggesting the message was tailored to suit Mohammed’s needs, but even that's not his core point.

I think his key point is really that he sees reason as a Christian core value, meaning the faith can happily exist and grow in a secular society. He contrasts this with what he sees as the irrational or “absolutely transcendent” view of God in Islam.

If he sticks to the ideas he’s outlining, it could actually be an exciting message for his Church. However, the openness of Catholicism to intellectual enquiry has hardly been a core value for so terribly long. For example, up to fifty years ago, Teilhard de Chardin was prevented by the Church from publishing his works during his lifetime. They set out a vision of the spiritual significance of evolution. When they were finally published after his death, the Vatican issued a warning saying
    … it is sufficiently clear that the above-mentioned works abound in such ambiguities and indeed even serious errors, as to offend Catholic doctrine.

For this reason, the most eminent and most revered Fathers of the Holy Office exhort all Ordinaries as well as the superiors of Religious institutes, rectors of seminaries and presidents of universities, effectively to protect the minds, particularly of the youth, against the dangers presented by the works of Fr. Teilhard de Chardin and of his followers.
    In 1981 they confirmed this warning was still in force.

If the Pope is moving to accept that views such as those set out by Teilhard are welcome in the Church, then indeed he can claim to have a position that far outstrips the ability of other faiths to cope with modernity and change. Otherwise, I’m not so sure the Pope can make this claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Statements like that of the pope make me sad. He could easily have shown that he doesn't necessarily agree with such a quote. That would have made things a whole lot better. He decided not to though.

A figure like the pope should be careful not to break bridges that are built between faiths. The late Jean Paul II made a great amount of effort to build bridges and I hope that Benedict doesn't ruin all his work.

I know that this was only a small part of his entire speech (and I have read the speech) but even within their original context, these statements are offensive and ridiculous.

The worst part of this is that this contributes to spreading wide-spread ignorance of Islam and spreading the idea that Islam was spread by the sword... which of course it wasn't. The verse stating "There is no compulsion in religion" was not just for the early times in Mecca (as was stated in the speech) and proof that people were not forced to convert to Islam is that there were (and are today) a number of Islamic states where non-Muslims were free to have their own faith.

His statements show a great deal of ignorance of Islam on his part. Either that or he intentionally misled the people. Only God knows his intention for sure so we must give him the benefit of the doubt but I would hope that he decides to educate himself on Islam before deciding to discuss any aspect of it again in the future.

In an age where things are getting increasingly difficult, people should be trying to make their best efforts to ensure we all live in peace.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the_new_mr wrote:
    That would have made things a whole lot better. He decided not to though.
    Well for one thing he could have picked a better time for such discussions with tempers running high in many parts of the world for both political and religious reasons. Imprudent if nothing else. Interesting speech if nothing else.
    The late Jean Paul II made a great amount of effort to build bridges and I hope that Benedict doesn't ruin all his work.
    Whether one agrees with much of his philosophy or not(I don't) we won't see the like of John Paul II for a while I'd say. Huge figure of the 20th century.
    I know that this was only a small part of his entire speech (and I have read the speech) but even within their original context, these statements are offensive and ridiculous.
    Depending on your viewpoint they very well may be. The issue I have is how fast the effigy burning starts. Again this may be purely down to the times at hand, but the "Muslim world" seems very quick to take offense and start aggressive demonstrations. It feels to an outsider that some factions are almost "looking for trouble" and bringing many Muslims who may otherwise have brushed this off along with them. "Ordinary" Muslims need to stop giving these factions power.
    The worst part of this is that this contributes to spreading wide-spread ignorance of Islam and spreading the idea that Islam was spread by the sword... which of course it wasn't.
    The fact is that both Christianity and Islam were spread by or on the back of the sword. Christianity when Rome and later empires took it on board(sth America anyone). To be fair to Islam it at least laid done rules for the prosecution of such.
    The verse stating "There is no compulsion in religion" was not just for the early times in Mecca (as was stated in the speech) and proof that people were not forced to convert to Islam is that there were (and are today) a number of Islamic states where non-Muslims were free to have their own faith.
    Equally you could argue that the instruction of death to apostates in Islam is totally at odds with the idea of no compulsion. There are other examples of saving one's neck by converting to Islam in The Prophet's time. As for the status of non Muslims in Muslim states back then one could argue that they didn't have religious freedom or equality anymore than non Christians had in Christian states. Again Islam at least laid down rules of conduct, hence in the 12th century I know which one I'd perfer to reside in, but it was naturally slanted heavily towards Islam and Muslims.
    In an age where things are getting increasingly difficult, people should be trying to make their best efforts to ensure we all live in peace.
    Agreed. As I said although I fully support his right to say what he likes, it was imprudent of him to discuss such at the moment given the likely reaction. The Catholic church itself would have gotten a bit twitchy not too long ago when faced with outside critique. They've largely adopted a ignore it attitude of late. Perhaps he didn't register that in the current climate certain factions of Islam may not be in the same place. Also bridge building goes both ways.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote:
    we won't see the like of John Paul II for a while I'd say. Huge figure of the 20th century.
    Unfortunately for all of us, I think you're right. This kind of reminds me a little of how in Kingdom of Heaven (not the best film ever it has to be said), King Baldwin dies and Guy de Lusignan takes his place. A bit of an exaggeration I know but you get the picture.
    Wibbs wrote:
    The issue I have is how fast the effigy burning starts. Again this may be purely down to the times at hand, but the "Muslim world" seems very quick to take offense and start aggressive demonstrations. It feels to an outsider that some factions are almost "looking for trouble" and bringing many Muslims who may otherwise have brushed this off along with them. "Ordinary" Muslims need to stop giving these factions power.
    No doubt some people are probably milking this situation for all its political worth in the Muslim world and inciting effigy burning and the like. Also, as you pointed out, everyone's nerves are at their end and sometimes things like this are the final straw that breaks the camel's back.

However, I doubt very many Muslims are prepared to just "brush this off" as you put it. I didn't attend any effigy burning and I don't wish to kill the pope or anything crazy like that but I took serious offense to such a statement and am a little angry too. Every single Muslim I've talked to is really upset about this and I believe that we have every right to be. I'm not the kind of guy to get upset over nothing but this is most certainly something.
    Wibbs wrote:
    The fact is that both Christianity and Islam were spread by or on the back of the sword. Christianity when Rome and later empires took it on board(sth America anyone). To be fair to Islam it at least laid done rules for the prosecution of such.
    I think you'll find that it wasn't. And even if it was (and it wasn't) then this is completely against Islam. If you're going to make statements like that Wibbs then you must back them up with facts.

Allow me to be so lazy and quote something I said in a different thread which is very fitting here.
    the_new_mr wrote:
    I'd like to straighten out a few points here that some people seem to be quite ignorant of. One is that forcing someone to become Muslim is completely forbidden in Islam. The famous verse:

Al-Baqara:256
    "There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejecteth false deities and believeth in Allah hath grasped a firm handhold which will never break. Allah is Hearer, Knower."

And here's the reason for revelation for the above verse. Pagans in Mecca who may have worshipped God but also falsely worshipped idols alongside God largely favoured having boys instead of girls to the extent that they used to perform the disgusting act of burying baby girls alive!! An act completely forbidden in Islam of course.

Anyway, some of these pagans used to say to God "Oh God! If you let us have a boy, we will make him a Jew". So, what happened is that several pagan families had Jewish boys in their families. Later, when some of these pagans rejected their false worships and embraced Islam, they began to put pressure on their Jewish children to embrace Islam as well. Verse number 256 from chapter 2 was revealed protecting the decision taken by the Jewish youth showing that you cannot force someone to become a Muslim. Islam after all, like any religion, is an action of the heart.
    Wibbs wrote:
    Equally you could argue that the instruction of death to apostates in Islam is totally at odds with the idea of no compulsion.
    The idea of death to apostates is not part of Islam. This is something I am completely in agreement with now. Like you say, it goes against "No compulsion in religion" and also some other verses in the Quran. This is not just my opinion but the opinion of a large number of scholars.
    Wibbs wrote:
    There are other examples of saving one's neck by converting to Islam in The Prophet's time.
    Once again, please back your statements up Wibbs.
    Wibbs wrote:
    it was naturally slanted heavily towards Islam and Muslims.
    How so?
    Wibbs wrote:
    Also bridge building goes both ways.
    Agree with that. In fact...
    www.bridges-foundation.org
    They're site seems to be down at the moment. Here's something they set up though. An interesting read I think you'll find.
    http://www.knud-holmboe.com/
    He's some guy. A real hero of Islam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I have to say the whole reaction to the rather selective quoting from the speech give by the Holy Father smacks of opportunism from where I’m standing.
    Certainly if the quotation had been voiced as the personally held view of the pope there would be cause for concern, but this is plainly not the case once taken in the context of the overall lecture.

And while it must be said that the_new_mr is a highly effective spokesman for Islam the vision of Islam as a peaceful all-inclusive religion it is not one that the majority of non-muslim people would identify with. A religion is judged as much by its creed (and I’m willing to accept the view espoused by new_mr_mir is the ideal), equally it is judged by the actions of its practitioners ( the various attempted church burnings make a lie of the idea of inclusiveness ).

Without a doubt the people who burned churchers are evil people and I agree there are far to many of these people within the faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

RTE and most stations really covered the story badly when it appeared first, simply quoting the selective quote then, saying there was controversy and showing images of the protests in pakkistan. Reporting on the reaction. They didn't put it in context or explain it like hobbes did. They 'reported it' this habit of RTE reporting international news stories like this without gving an analysis is really sloppy. Like saying today george bush said this ... without saying well he may have said that but the the reality is this.

Anyway listening to RTE this morning and the group show had someone making the points Rev H said, that it was pretty clear some muslim leader looking for political power selectively quoted and translated this german speech and sent it out like press release to stir up reactions in his followers. And the countries he mentioned Iran and Syria???

No mention of Saudi Arabia where the reactions against the cartoons was initiated from the muslim side by all accounts.

wes wrote:
    Without a doubt the people who burned churchers are evil people and I agree there are far to many of these people within the faith.
    One thing I would say on that, is that I don't believe myself that Islam has more of 'those people within the faith' than say christanity by default.
    But rather (and its my own view) that islam has allowed itself to be radicalised through the rise of the Wahhabi sect. Its seems to me that the islam vs everyone else is getting generated by this. The uproar about the popes speech seems to be part of this.

• Advertisement

One thing I would say on that, is that I don't believe myself that Islam has more of 'those people within the faith' than say christanity by default.
    But rather (and its my own view) that islam has allowed itself to be radicalised through the rise of the Wahhabi sect. Its seems to me that the islam vs everyone else is getting generated by this. The uproar about the popes speech seems to be part of this.

I think the power of the Wahhabi's comes from there oil money. They fund mosques the world over and hence have a great deal of influence. I am not fan of the Wahhabi's and we would be better off without them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the_new_mr wrote:
    However, I doubt very many Muslims are prepared to just "brush this off" as you put it. I didn't attend any effigy burning and I don't wish to kill the pope or anything crazy like that but I took serious offense to such a statement and am a little angry too. Every single Muslim I've talked to is really upset about this and I believe that we have every right to be. I'm not the kind of guy to get upset over nothing but this is most certainly something.
    Eh no it's not. All that happened was that another religious leader from another faith when giving a speech quotedthe view of Islam a long dead emperor. A view extant at the time. A view that in this speech at least the Pope doesn't agree with. How often do you hear Muslim leaders decrying much of the west and indeed aspects of Christianity. How many Christians are demonstrating.
    I think you'll find that it wasn't. And even if it was (and it wasn't) then this is completely against Islam. If you're going to make statements like that Wibbs then you must back them up with facts.
    The Prophet himself built a small religious empire in the Arabian lands on the back of battles with other tribes. While Islam has obviously gained converts through other means then and now much of it's early success was down to military action. Fact.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Can anybody publish a list of Things That Don't Offend Islam?
    Just so the rest of us can thread lightly:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

dathi1 wrote:

I hope thats not sarcasm. You do know that the pope quoted a reference that Islam was spread by the sword. I'm pretty that would offend any people of any religon.

In all this mess people missed the other news of the US Christian league demanding the retraction of a religous cartoon in the US (and got it).

*shrug*

I guess the answer is to be a bit more mindful of what you say about any religon.

Let me just start by completley condemning the attacks on the churches. The people who carried out this act are a complete disgrace to humanity and this kind of thing has no foundation in Islam whatsoever.

I'd also like to say that this is the second time I'm writing this post because we just suffered a power fluctuation causing the computer to restart :( Maybe God did it so that I could write a particular phrase better.
    Wibbs wrote:
    All that happened was that another religious leader from another faith when giving a speech quotedthe view of Islam a long dead emperor. A view extant at the time. A view that in this speech at least the Pope doesn't agree with. How often do you hear Muslim leaders decrying much of the west and indeed aspects of Christianity. How many Christians are demonstrating.
    It's a little more than that. The Pope is the leader of another religion and not just another figure of another faith. Also, he didn't choose to say that he doesn't agree with said quote at the time. And although he has since said that he doesn't agree with that quote, did he really need to say it in the first place? Saying that he doesn't agree with violence in religion is one thing but quoting a quote like that which is clearly and obviously offensive towards the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him) is quite another and was, in my opinion, completely unnecessary.

Anyway, since the Pope has now clarified his position (although some say that technically speaking he was apologising for the reaction and not the action itself), I don't see any need in going into this further so we should probably just leave it at that. Peace and respect is the way forward.
    Wibbs wrote:
    The Prophet himself built a small religious empire in the Arabian lands on the back of battles with other tribes. While Islam has obviously gained converts through other means then and now much of it's early success was down to military action.
    Sorry Wibbs but that's only half the truth. Although it is true that there were a number of battles, the truth is that these were almost always in self-defense. The only other two situations where military action was/is allowed is either to defend everyone's right to religious freedom or to fight against oppression. Islam was never spread by the sword. It goes against the very core of Islam. Islam means submission to God and to be a Muslim means someone who has submitted themselves to God. This can only be an action of the heart.

Fighting sucks. There's no doubt about it. But, unfortunately, it is sometimes necessary. A verse from the Quran.

Al-Baqara:216
    "Fighting is ordained for you, even though it be hateful to you; but it may well be that you hate a thing the while it is good for you, and it may well be that you love a thing the while it is bad for you: and God knows, whereas you do not know."

Also, the following link explains the whole thing very well. I'd urge everyone to read it.
    http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam/AskAboutIslamE/AskAboutIslamE&cid=1123996015820
    And while it must be said that the_new_mr is a highly effective spokesman for Islam
    Thanks :) I am honoured to be doing this. Anything good I do is only because God lets me do it. I ask for His forgiveness for anything I may do wrong.
    A religion is judged as much by its creed (and I’m willing to accept the view espoused by new_mr_mir is the ideal), equally it is judged by the actions of its practitioners ( the various attempted church burnings make a lie of the idea of inclusiveness ).
    No doubt. See top of my post. We should always try not to hold an entire faith (or faith community) accountable for the actions of a stupid few.
    Wibbs wrote:
    Well, just to be accurate, Wahhabism cannot really be classified a sect. Also, Islam cannot stop the rise of anyone. There is nothing to facilitate this function. It doesn't have a central authority. It belongs to everyone and it belongs to noone. I believe this is one of its strengths. It only really belongs to God.

Still, it's very true that some people are too ready to take opportunities like this to their advantage. Still, I think we have to remind ourselves (again) that for many people, this is a case of the last straw that broke the camel's back.
    Hobbes wrote:
    In all this mess people missed the other news of the US Christian league demanding the retraction of a religous cartoon in the US (and got it).
    Good for them!!
    Hobbes wrote:
    I guess the answer is to be a bit more mindful of what you say about any religon.
    Hear hear!! (or is it "here here" ? :)) If everyone can respect everyone else and everyone understands that there is no good to be gained from offending someone else's religion (whilst at the same time having the right to intelligently and respectfully disagree with it) then the world would be a much much better place.

I pray to God that we have peace.

A quick google later and had a quick read about the cartoon retracted after the appeal of the Christian league. I'm very happy about this. The description of the cartoon ridiculing Jesus (peace be upon him) is completley disgusting. I just don't know how or why people draw things like this. Even if someone is a complete athiest, surely it's just common courtesy not to do things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Sadly it looks like murder of a nun might have being a result of all this. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5354862.stm

I have respect for the muslim faith but I'm losing respect for its followers :(

dent wrote:
    Sadly it looks like murder of a nun might have being a result of all this. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5354862.stm

I have respect for the muslim faith but I'm losing respect for its followers :(

They are not followers. If they were they wouldn't of committed murder. Incidently there is no direct link as of yet to the nuns death and this incident (its believed to be though).

A quick google later and had a quick read about the cartoon retracted after the appeal of the Christian league. I'm very happy about this. The description of the cartoon ridiculing Jesus (peace be upon him) is completley disgusting. I just don't know how or why people draw things like this. Even if someone is a complete athiest, surely it's just common courtesy not to do things like this.
    George Orwell was right to a certain extent. The newspeak is what you can say and what you can’t say. That’s to be followed by offensive religious icons like cribs in Hospitals. In England flying the national Flag is also haraam in certain areas.
    the_new_mr would you have a problem with Catholics protesting outside clonskegh mosque over the death of the nun?

Just remember the_new_mr is not on trial here and those sort of questions are best left for the humanities forum.

To answer it somewhat. People are allowed protest, why would anyone have a problem with it unless it wasn't peaceful or was intent on screwing up everyone else in some way.

However the protests would be somewhat skewed. For example killing another person in Islam is considered one of the worst possible things you can do and I think gunning a nun in the back would pretty much guarantee a one way ticket to hell.

The actions of the minority does not reflect the religon as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

dathi1 wrote:

What if a Muslim religious leader made a speech on the world stage referring to historical situations e.g.
    1. The Crusades where Christian armies invaded, conquered then slaughtered all who would not convert to Cristianity?(Fact)
    2. The Spanish inquisitions?
    3. The world domination by Christians who invaded every continent and forcibly "civilized" their people by "converting"them to Christianity ( think South America, the Incas, Africa, the slaves etc etc etc.)
    3.The holocaust against Jews by Christians. (To name but a few)
    The Christians of this world would be up in arms, and the prevalent Western holocaust against the people of Islam would be intensified.
    The leader of the Roman church has, I feel, deliberately provoked this outrage to fuel Anti-Muslim feeling in the Western world. In a vain hope to gain new recruits for his church who, by their own actions, are losing followers(and donations) with a rapidly dwindling priesthood and followers, while Islam (and Paganism) are statistically growing in strength and numbers. The Western world is brainwashed by media propaganda and biased programming into fearing the Islamic people and religion. We are witnessing a holocaust against the people of Islam, and the Pope knew exactly what he was saying and the effect it would produce. Why doesn't he just apologise? Peace be with you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

mysteria wrote:
    What if a Muslim religious leader made a speech on the world stage referring to historical situations e.g.
    1. The Crusades where Christian armies invaded, conquered then slaughtered all who would not convert to Cristianity?(Fact)
    3. The world domination by Christians who invaded every continent and forcibly "civilized" their people by "converting"them to Christianity ( think South America, the Incas, Africa, the slaves etc etc etc.)
    The Christians of this world would be up in arms, and the prevalent Western holocaust against the people of Islam would be intensified.
    The leader of the Roman church has, I feel, deliberately provoked this outrage to fuel Anti-Muslim feeling in the Western world. In a vain hope to gain new recruits for his church who, by their own actions, are losing followers(and donations) with a rapidly dwindling priesthood and followers, while Islam (and Paganism) are statistically growing in strength and numbers. The Western world is brainwashed by media propaganda and biased programming into fearing the Islamic people and religion. We are witnessing a holocaust against the people of Islam, and the Pope knew exactly what he was saying and the effect it would produce. Why doesn't he just apologise? Peace be with you all.

I agree with you 100% there mysteria.

mysteria wrote:
    That the church has committed numerous crimes and atrocities in the past is well documented and has been acknowledged by the holy see.
    To blame the catholic church for the holocaust shows a lack of understanding as to what happened, catholic churches where actively involved in getting Jews out of Germany and other occupied countries at the time.
    But then if you think about it we’ve already had the pope compared to Hitler and other mass-murders (which to a catholic is a pretty big insult since he is meant to be Christ representative on earth), so if you look around at the protests against Islam by Catholics worldwide and the mosques getting burnt you can see the answer to your question.

I did not blame the RC Church for the Holocaust, I pointed out that the Nazi attrocities were committed by Christians. There is a difference between Religious policies and the actions of it's followers but that applies to every religion. I feel the Ratzinger should show Christian qualities of humility and apologise. He's supposed to want peace in the world , is'nt he? Instead of stirring up inter-religious hatred with inflammatory comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

the_new_mr wrote:
    A quick google later and had a quick read about the cartoon retracted after the appeal of the Christian league. I'm very happy about this.
    Just to be clear of the context, this withdrawal seems to be at the request of the author and not because of any official action.
    the_new_mr wrote:
    The description of the cartoon ridiculing Jesus (peace be upon him) is completley disgusting. I just don't know how or why people draw things like this. Even if someone is a complete athiest, surely it's just common courtesy not to do things like this.
    You will understand that I don’t know if the author of the cartoons is an atheist, nor do I feel an intense need to pen cartoons mocking the idea of the virgin birth. But an atheist perspective might help explain why people might.

By ridicule, atheists display the fact that these doctrines hold no power over them. Hence, in a sense, it is akin to an act of prayer and so rightly protected as a matter of freedom of conscience.

Before anyone pretends that disrespect is in some way unacceptable, let us recall that the Quran states that the Christian idea of God having a son is a ‘disaster’. Should Christians burn copies of the Quran, or symbolically cut the offending words from copies of the Quran as a protest? Should they continue such protests until they get an apology for this text, and the Quran is edited to remove the relevant words?

Profession of a faith, or of no faith, inevitably involves doing things that cut to the heart of the beliefs of others.
    mysteria wrote:
    We are witnessing a holocaust against the people of Islam
    We really aren’t.
    mysteria wrote:
    the Pope knew exactly what he was saying and the effect it would produce. Why doesn't he just apologise?
    As I understand it, he’s now saying something to the effect that compulsion cannot be part of spreading the faith. I would assume within that he’s accepting that his own crowd haven’t exactly been saintly either. What is it that he’s said that you feel requires an apology? I’m not being smart – I’m just wondering if this whole thing isn’t a ball of smoke. ‘Pope says Islam is evil’ might be reason to get worked up. If that’s not what he’s saying, then what’s there to be worked up about?

What would happen?? Nothing would happen. This happens nearly every day???? Amadinijad? You don’t see Christians on the street calling for fatwas or burning Muslim effigies. We all know why. I agree with you on the Christian slaughter in the past and even present (Iraq, Israel by proxy etc).
    I can say that without the sword Ireland today as a result of the fallout of the Roman Empire probably would not be Christian. I know a fatwah won’t be issued against me or anybody else for making such a statement.
    I'm sick listening to so called moderates from monotheistic faiths making excuses for Islamic violence, Zionist violence and Christian neocon(Bush) violence. Its all one God in the end...get real.

This thread is a getting out of hand. Back on topic or its getting locked or moved.

"I know a fatwah won’t be issued against me or anybody else for making such a statement.
    I'm sick listening to so called moderates from monotheistic faiths making excuses for Islamic violence, Zionist violence and Christian neocon(Bush) violence. Its all one God in the end...get real.[/QUOTE]"

With respect daithi you're not the Pope, or a religious leader making inflammatory statements to the world media ( or are you? ). I'm not a moderate from a monotheistic faith, I honour the Pantheons of every religion because Spirituality transcends religion. Religion is elitist and divisive as we can see by the furore caused by Ratzsingers statement.

mysteria wrote:
    With respect daithi you're not the Pope, or a religious leader making inflammatory statements to the world media ( or are you? ).

Lets tack this baby back on course and avoid the rocks of hobbes.
    Firstly the remarks that where made by the pope where not made to media but rather to the group of peers.

Maybe you could quote for me the section of the lecture you feel the pope should apologise for, just so we have a frame of reference to the actual slight you feel was committed.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    Just remember the_new_mr is not on trial here
    Very true.
    and those sort of questions are best left for the humanities forum.
    Might be a plan as these things have a habit of getting a bit OT
    To answer it somewhat. People are allowed protest,
    Indeed they should protest if they feel offended. Also they should have a good idea s to why they're protesting in the first place. I suspect many of the rabid types have little clue. It appears that much of the protest has the hand of the religious heirarchy behind it. This guff always kicks off just after friday prayers.
    why would anyone have a problem with it unless it wasn't peaceful or was intent on screwing up everyone else in some way.
    That's precisely the problem I have with it Hobbes. The reaction tends towards the rabid wild eyed threat scenario all to quickly(at least from what we see all too often in the various media and I know this is an issue in of itself too).
    For example killing another person in Islam is considered one of the worst possible things you can do and I think gunning a nun in the back would pretty much guarantee a one way ticket to hell.
    Correct on the nun bit. In fact Mohammed states quite clearly that no Priest(and presumably nun) is to be attacked in war or any other state. As for the first part of your sentence, that like in most religions would be up to debate. Indeed the oft quoted "thou shalt not kill" in Christainity and Judaism is better translate as "thou shalt not murder". Unlawful killing is forbidden. The law in this is the crux of it. Islam expressly forbids the killing of innocent people. The difficulty comes with that definition of innocence. As an example, mocking the prophet or Islam would be considered a crime against both and would be punishable in both this life and the next. In the prophets time quite a few people who mocked the Prophet were killed for it, either on his instruction or with his approval afterwards. Among others Al-Huwayrith, Sara, Asma bint Marwan, the one eyed shepherd who sang a song mocking Mohammed(who had a unstringed bow driven through his good eye for his troubles), Kab bin al-Ashraf (here's a few quotes from the sources).
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/052.sbt.html#004.052.271
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/059.sbt.html#005.059.369
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/muslim/019.smt.html#019.4436
    The actions of the minority does not reflect the religon as a whole.
    Naturally. However, the largely complicent silence of the majority on matters such as this, just may.
    mysteria wrote:
    Many do and regularly to their own and various media outlets.
    True. How long ago was that? Even so we don't have catholics rioting in the street when somebody who brings up moral equivalence points this out.
    Nobody expects them I've heard.
    Which you could accuse Islam of doing in it's territories too. Organised slavery was practiced far longer and way after in the Islamic world than when the Christian west outlawed the practice. Who do you think supplied and controlled the African slave trade(and still practice it in some places).
    He also gassed Catholics, Christians and other religious types too you know. That comparison is loopy and woolyheaded TBH. It's in the same area as accusing Islam of "honour" killings. Sure it's emotive reasoning I'll give you that.
    The Christians of this world would be up in arms,
    Well they wouldn't. How many authors, filmakers and others have been killed, injured or threatened by Christians when a percieved anti Christian book, movie etc has appeared? Did John Cleese get a death sentence fatwah on his head for the life of Brian. Imagine a film with Buddha in the same vein. Imagine the Pagan life of Brian. Now cast your mind further and imagine "The life of Ahmed" that followed similar themes in the life of Mohammed? World war 3 aint in it. Compare and contrast if you will.
    and the prevalent Western holocaust against the people of Islam would be intensified.
    Huh? Right so. That would be the freedom to practice their faith in the west. The regular burning of mosques, their exclusion from social, academic and economic life in the west. Their lack fo freedom to protest, sometimes very provocatively in the west. Yep I can see the wholesale slaughter alright.
    The leader of the Roman church has, I feel, deliberately provoked this outrage to fuel Anti-Muslim feeling in the Western world.
    Possibly, but I fail to see why. It's strikes me as paranoid to suggest same. Surely he could have fueled anti Islamic feeling far more easily. Then again anti western feeling seems very easy to ignite in some sections of the Muslim world.
    while Islam (and Paganism) are statistically growing in strength and numbers.
    Well the stats for Islam are contentious and are largely down to birthrates. In any case many ex Muslims in many countries would be quiet about their apostasy as too many Muslims wouldn't be reading from the same hymn sheet as the new mr. The stats for Paganism(which technically could be applied by the Abrahamic faiths as anyone outside their remit) are even harder to quantify. I find it interesting you lump Islam and Paganism together. The attitude to Pagans in Islam and indeed any of the Abrahamic faiths is not exactly welcoming judging by the texts.
    The Western world is brainwashed by media propaganda and biased programming into fearing the Islamic people and religion.
    and the Muslim world is just as led by their media and leaders if not more so. Could we be even having this debate in some parts of the Muslim world? No would be your answer.
    We are witnessing a holocaust against the people of Islam,
    As Schuart said, we're really not. In any case if we are how come their numbers are growing according to you?
    and the Pope knew exactly what he was saying and the effect it would produce.
    You know that for sure? I didn't know mind reading was part of Paganism. Have you read the speech or are you taking your opinion from equally biased sources?
    Why doesn't he just apologise?
    He did and he explained the context. Why did he have to? 1) Good manners. 2) Because the violent reaction from too many sectiosn of the Islamic world might have gotten even further out of hand.
    I honour the Pantheons of every religion because Spirituality transcends religion.
    Which is laudable and cuddly, but trying telling a Muslim that(or Christian or Jew for that matter) when the biggest precept of their faiths is that there is only one God with Mohammed (Jesus, Moses, delete where applicable) as his messenger. Pantheosn don't apply. In fact suggesting such would leave your listeners bemused at best.
    Peace be with you all.
    and to you and yours.

Advertisement