Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone nabbed for following Gardai?

Options
  • 15-09-2006 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Last night I was driving on the N11 at 3am. In left hand lane, gardai stopped at red lights, lights go green, I overtake at 60km and pull into the left lane once overtake is complete, keeping to 60. Once they got some speed up they overtook me then and must have been going about 80-100 after that. Would have liked to have gone that speed myself (empty dual carriageway, 3am) but you never know they could put on their lights and pull me over:rolleyes: Has this happened to anyone before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Well as far as im concerned garda cars arent exempt from the rules of the road unless they have their sirens on. That means under normal driving they too have to obey the speed limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

cpoh1 wrote:
    Well as far as im concerned garda cars arent exempt from the rules of the road unless they have their sirens on. That means under normal driving they too have to obey the speed limits?

Nope, it's "in the course of duty", which probably doesn't require the sirens to be on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

cpoh1 wrote:

the cars may not be exempt, but the #~ick driving it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

No need for sirens at 3am and a clear road.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Could be argued as 'progression' apperently speed limits are a guideline not a requirement when it comes to your driving test :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

A friend of mine's father was done some years ago for overtaking two cars driving erratically. He overtook at some speed (~130mph). It transpired that one of the cars was an unmarked police car in the middle of a high speed pursuit.
    He very nearly lost his licence for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hard to know what the Rules of the Road are at times.

At lunchtime yesterday, I saw a motorbike guard pull over a cyclist who was following the luas down Middle Abbey Street.
    Thought fair play to the guard for enforcing the law although I didn't know cyclists were not allowed do this.

20 minutes later, a squad car drove from Store Street down to O'Connell Street following a luas on the tram lines.

Now I'm confused. Maybe you are allowed on the tram lines after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Simple: The rules of the road - never mind driver etiquette - don't apply to our boys and girls in blue - on or off duty apparently! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

cormie wrote:
    Last night I was driving on the N11 at 3am. In left hand lane, gardai stopped at red lights, lights go green, I overtake at 60km and pull into the left lane once overtake is complete, keeping to 60. Once they got some speed up they overtook me then and must have been going about 80-100 after that. Would have liked to have gone that speed myself (empty dual carriageway, 3am) but you never know they could put on their lights and pull me over:rolleyes: Has this happened to anyone before?

There are alot of people on boards and it seems like the highlight of their day is seeing guards in the course of their duty. There seems to be some sort of fascination with the boys in blue may I suggest you all go and sit outside Templemore college to get your kicks. At least that way ye might get your post count up quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

muletide wrote:
    There are alot of people on boards and it seems like the highlight of their day is seeing guards in the course of their duty. There seems to be some sort of fascination with the boys in blue may I suggest you all go and sit outside Templemore college to get your kicks. At least that way ye might get your post count up quicker

:D brilliant - a new hobby perhaps - mule spotting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

dubstub wrote:
    A friend of mine's father was done some years ago for overtaking two cars driving erratically. He overtook at some speed (~130mph). It transpired that one of the cars was an unmarked police car in the middle of a high speed pursuit.
    He very nearly lost his licence for that.

He should have. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

muletide wrote:

That's no use. they'll be too new to be abusing their powers or talking to the public like sh1te at that point.

People are p1ssed off at the way certain Gardai behave thmselves, as its difficult to look at someone flouting the rules they are shoving down your neck.

Exemptions in the line of duty not withstanding.

They come here to vent. If you don't wanna read these posts, I suggest you don't. Just let folk get it off their chests in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

overdriver wrote:
    That's no use. they'll be too new to be abusing their powers or talking to the public like sh1te at that point.

People are p1ssed off at the way certain Gardai behave thmselves, as its difficult to look at someone flouting the rules they are shoving down your neck.

Exemptions in the line of duty not withstanding.

They come here to vent. If you don't wanna read these posts, I suggest you don't. Just let folk get it off their chests in peace.

What a non-issue. Garda car was going over the speed limit - This link says they are entitled to. The Garda car and the OP had absolutely no interaction; the OP didn't get a fine, points, or even pulled over.

Consumer Issues is probably the most appropriate forum to "get it off their chests" anyway; this forum seems to have less and less to do with motoring each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Something very similar happened me about a year and a half ago, you'll get a laugh out of this...! I was driving out on the N4 on my way out to Maynooth and was overtaking a car which was in the inside lane. I Saw this Garda car behind me and it was taking me a little bit longer to overtake this car as I was aware of the Garda car behind me, the guy in the car beside me that I wanted to overtake, suddenly decided to start speeding up to the maximum speed limit when he saw I was overtaking him, (had previously been sauntering along slowly at 55MPH) and didn't want to have to break the speed limit to get past him and I was aware of this Garda car at this stage which was stuck up my arse.

Next thing the Garda starts flashing me and blowing me out of it with the horn. I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing! I knew I wasn't getting pulled in but I pulled into the inside lane once I got ahead of the lad beside me and the Garda glares at me, shakes his fists and speeds past me at what appeared to be about 85-90MPH.

No sirens, no lights, just plain ignorance from a pri*k who's only worry was probably that his dinner was going cold.

I went to the Garda station in Maynooth & reported him for it, had his reg no and description of car (he headed on down the N4 towards Kilcock).

The Garda taking my complaint asked me how I knew he was a Garda, so I brought him to the front window of the station and pointed to the white car parked at the gate of the station with the blue lights on top and yellow stripes down the side and said it looked just like that car, the other people in the station were in stitches, the Garda kept asking me, "and you want to make a complaint about a Garda???" Should have known better to expect anything to come from it, such is the state of the service that the Gardai provide...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This post wasn't Garda bashing, they we're doing over the speed limit, it was safe to do so, everybody else was too. It was 3am. It was safe.

The post was just to see if anybody has ever been pulled over for keeping up (keeping safe distance etc) with a Garda car who is doing more than the limit.

Oh and I personally couldn't give a rats ass about my post count. 99% of my posts are asking for, or giving advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Darragh29 wrote:
    Something very similar happened me about a year and a half ago, you'll get a laugh out of this...! I was driving out on the N4 on my way out to Maynooth and was overtaking a car which was in the inside lane. I Saw this Garda car behind me and it was taking me a little bit longer to overtake this car as I was aware of the Garda car behind me, the guy in the car beside me that I wanted to overtake, suddenly decided to start speeding up to the maximum speed limit when he saw I was overtaking him, (had previously been sauntering along slowly at 55MPH) and didn't want to have to break the speed limit to get past him and I was aware of this Garda car at this stage which was stuck up my arse.

Next thing the Garda starts flashing me and blowing me out of it with the horn. I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing! I knew I wasn't getting pulled in but I pulled into the inside lane once I got ahead of the lad beside me and the Garda glares at me, shakes his fists and speeds past me at what appeared to be about 85-90MPH.

No sirens, no lights, just plain ignorance from a pri*k who's only worry was probably that his dinner was going cold.

I went to the Garda station in Maynooth & reported him for it, had his reg no and description of car (he headed on down the N4 towards Kilcock).

The Garda taking my complaint asked me how I knew he was a Garda, so I brought him to the front window of the station and pointed to the white car parked at the gate of the station with the blue lights on top and yellow stripes down the side and said it looked just like that car, the other people in the station were in stitches, the Garda kept asking me, "and you want to make a complaint about a Garda???" Should have known better to expect anything to come from it, such is the state of the service that the Gardai provide...
    Where? Did I miss the funny bit? If the car you were trying to pass speeded up, why didn't you just pull in behind it? I don't believe for one minute that he shook his fist at you! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

eoin_s wrote:
    What a non-issue. Garda car was going over the speed limit - This link says they are entitled to. The Garda car and the OP had absolutely no interaction; the OP didn't get a fine, points, or even pulled over.

Consumer Issues is probably the most appropriate forum to "get it off their chests" anyway; this forum seems to have less and less to do with motoring each week.

Talk about missing the point. I did say

".
    Exemptions in the line of duty not withstanding"

My post was in answer to the poster who was giving out about what he percieved to be an anti-Garda post.

Advertisement