Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ask.....

• 15-09-2006 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Ok, theres this girl who works in a place where i have lunch. She also works in a pub nearby to on the weekends. Now everytime i see her she waves at me and she seems quite shy, she's foreign i know, but never actually spoken to her, now when i go for lunch she comes past and gives me the biggest shyest smile ever and seems to fancy me. I just don't know how to approach her. Do you think that calling her over and just handing her my card with my mobile number circled is to "movie thing"? it's just bursting into conversation with her in the middle of a restaurant after so long is weird!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

lol Awwww.... I wouldn't do the whole business card thing; it comes across as too much of a You-Know-You-Want-Me kind of thing! Why don't you ask her for HER number? Tell her you'd like to take her out sometime or whatever. You don't have to "burst into conversation" - save that for the date. Just ask if you could have her number and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

The "Handing her your card" thing would maybe give her the impression that you are too full of yourself.

Maybe drop your fork and ask her for another and while she gets it, tell her she has such a beautiful smile that you can't help coming to that restaurant every day. THEN ask her out for coffee or something. A bit of flattery goes a long way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I am in a similiar situation only she doesnt wave or smile at me...in fact, she runs away :(

but seriously, I am and I dont really know how to approach the situation either. I think im just gonna leave it be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Epicpriest

Lust4Life wrote:
    The "Handing her your card" thing would maybe give her the impression that you are too full of yourself.

Maybe drop your fork and ask her for another and while she gets it, tell her she has such a beautiful smile that you can't help coming to that restaurant every day. THEN ask her out for coffee or something. A bit of flattery goes a long way!

Wow, maybe i should tell her i'll give her half if i win the lotto! haha, what if she doesn't have great Engwish =). Maybe i should just say when she comes up "you know i only come in here to see you don't you" and smile or something?

Also, don't almost all these these Easter European women in ireland come over with their boyfriends and stuff? Or is that just myth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

great stuff......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Epicpriest wrote:
    Also, don't almost all these these Easter European women in ireland come over with their boyfriends and stuff? Or is that just myth?

A friend of mine would pick up his lunch in a spar near beaumount hospital every day, Same deal as the OP, So after a couple of weeks of Smiles and brief conversations he asked the polish girl to go for a drink, She was excited to go with him, but mentoned about going back to his place in an extended conversation, because her husband would be in her house, He thought YIKES!! and ran :-)

Never seen any rings on this girl, she seems youngish, maybe 20?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52059804#post52059804

have you seen the above thread? weird coincidence here.

Best of luck

damonjewel wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52059804#post52059804

have you seen the above thread? weird coincidence here.

Best of luck

Wow, well this is strange. It doesn't sound like the right location. The place i go to is right in the middle of town in a busy shopping centre place. And the girl i'm on about usually waves at me first and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Epicpriest wrote:
    Wow, well this is strange. It doesn't sound like the right location. The place i go to is right in the middle of town in a busy shopping centre place. And the girl i'm on about usually waves at me first and stuff
    Someone is obviously bored & trying to wind you up, don't pay any attention. You should try asking her if she had a nice weekend on Monday when you see her or something like that. In a similar situation myself, guy working here always full of smiles etc but I would always say Hi & get no reply. Now he says Hello like its a new word so I thought maybe he had pretty bad English but have since found out his English is quite good! Maybe I'm misreading friendly for something else, lol!
    Well I won't lose any sleep over it anyway :)

Good luck btw ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Epicpriest wrote:
    Maybe i should just say when she comes up "you know i only come in here to see you don't you" and smile or something?

I'm a charming fcuker (:)) and trust me that is the way to go! say it in a smiley genuine way though, not like a sex offender.

hahaha, i'm usually quite charming, when i'm out and stuff and with poeple i know i have no problem. but approaching someone working in a place i eat is kinda different! especially seeing that when i ask her it's gonna be like in front of the lads i work with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

6th really is a charming fupper! It's kinda scary. It's almost if he has some special powers.

On topic again....

you like her say hello, chit chat over the next few weeks and it will all fall into place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

If I were you OP I'd just go with "how was your weekend, etc..." line and play it from ear there. The ask her out for a few drinks, cinema, etc.

If you're the tiniest bit unsure about pulling off the line 6th suggested, then don't do it. It could really backfire in your face, and make you look a bit sleazy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The card thin wouold be awful. SHe seems to like you, go say hi, ask her out somewhere?

You don't have to go with your friends everytime, go on your own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dump the card idea. Ask her out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭smk135

why the hell would you even think of giving her your card when you say yourslef that she's shy??!!

just either go up and ask her for her number when your mates/colleagues arent around or see what happens when you chit chat to her.

I think asking for her number is best because if i was in her situation (presuming you're not just being full of yourself and she does actually like you!!!) i'd be delighted to give you my number, whereas if it was a random dude i wouldnt. but it's different because you've been going there regularly and have got to "know" her from afar, so it's kind of flattering to ask her for her number.

pff i think i just made no sense but couldnt be bothered going back over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

if a guy gave me a card or his number i'd think he was a sleeze. ask her for his

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

A way of getting around the problem of your workmates being there everytime you are there, you could pretend you mislaid something, go back an hour later or whatever, and specifically ask her about the phantom phone/wallet/keys. At least you have a way of initiating conversation then too ;)

She may be uber shy if you ask her out in front of a table full of lads...she would immediately go on the defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

6th wrote:
    say it in a smiley genuine way though, not like a sex offender.

lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Man this is crazy. I've got the same thing going on with a girl where I go for lunch. It's gotten to the point where I walk in and she looks over her shoulder with those eyes that silently ask "the usual?". Then I get the biggest stupidest grin and have to go sit down like a tard, grinning in the corner.

:D:D Hi! :D

Advertisement