Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Doberman bitten by our cat.

Options
  • 15-09-2006 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

My Female doberman pup Bonnie - while trying to make friends with our cat was attacked and bitten by him yesterday evening. I know that our cat has had the patch to himself for 10 years but its a pity he just does not try to get along with the doberman pups - it could be in his long term interest to do so.:p

I noticed this morning that my Doberman is limping slightly so am wondering is it just a thing that will pass or should I bring her to the vet. I don't see any cuts on her front right leg. Do dogs need tetinius injections like humans if bitten by another animal. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

As long as you cannot actually see the wound I wouldnt worry, cat claws sting like hell, that probably more the problem.
    I dont think (I could be wrong) that there are many inter-species things transmissable from cat to dog except general wound infection).
    But, if he is still limping after 48 hours, then yes, vet.

Probably going to be difficult to convince a 10 year old resident kitty to share his territory with a big dog. Be sure to lavish attention on cat and almost ignore dog (when hes around) for at least a week. Try to convince kitty that dog-presence means MORE love for him, rather than less. ;)

And goes without saying, but never ever leave these two alone in the same room together without keeping a careful eye on their every movement. Until you are SURE they are ok together. You could end up with a blind and badly torn up doggy. Wheras kitty can jump on high up and knows all the best hiding places, doggy cannot and does not, specially if eyes have been scratched by cat-claws!

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You're going to have to spend a lot of time teaching them to be gentle together, talking to them and petting them gently, and rewarding gentle, calm behaviour in both.

The puss is probably feeling pretty edgy with an incomer getting all the attention that was once his?

Advertisement