Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Ericsson P990i for €370!!!

• 15-09-2006 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

FYI for all u phone geeks thinking of splashing on a highend phone in Ireland.

Just bought a Sony Ericsson P990i in Derry. Sweet phone.

Here’s the deal:

Only two border stores, Derry and Newry, are able to set up contracts for customers with Southern addresses.
    All phones on Vodafone UK are currently free if you take out a years contract and go onto their £30 a month tariff.
    One of the add ons is a free months line rental.
    The first 6 months are half price if you get their ROI tariff.
    A £100 deposit has to be paid.
    The contract can be transferred to someone else at any time.

Total cost
    £0 (First months line rental free)
    £75 (5 months half price)
    £180 (6 months full price)

£255 Total

@1.46 €/£

€370

So I had to pay €146 deposit today and will have to pay another €224 over the next year if I can’t find someone to transfer the contract too.

Not bad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

what shop is that any contact details.also do you need a uk address.and finally can you use the sim card in ireland or just uk.
    thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ginger Samurai

drdre wrote:
    what shop is that any contact details.also do you need a uk address.and finally can you use the sim card in ireland or just uk.
    thanks in advance

Vodafone Derry
    Richmond Centre
    Tel: (028) 7130 8898

U don't need a UK address

U can use the SIM in Ireland to receive calls for free but it will obviously be more expensive to make calls in Ireland if u use the Vodafone UK network.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

What are Vodafone UK like for unlocking the phone?

What are Vodafone UK like for unlocking the phone?

It's a bill phone so its not locked

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

Do Vodafone UK carry the Nokia N80? That would be perfect. I can't buy from 3 as they 'have not received the unlock codes from Nokia'

• Advertisement

Do Vodafone UK carry the Nokia N80? That would be perfect. I can't buy from 3 as they 'have not received the unlock codes from Nokia'

Yeah I was playing around with it in Derry. It'd be the perfect phone for me if it had a touch screen. You could get it in the same way

Yeah I was playing around with it in Derry. It'd be the perfect phone for me if it had a touch screen. You could get it in the same way

what documents do you need to get a bill phone.as i want to try and get the nokia 8800 sirocco.it looks cool.

drdre wrote:
    what documents do you need to get a bill phone.as i want to try and get the nokia 8800 sirocco.it looks cool.

Credit card, ID, utility bill (I used my Vodafone Ireland bill)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,173 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

great post :) anyone else tried this yet? are they cool with setting up the account yeah?

also whats the p990i like and is it a vodafone uk store or a carphonewarehouse?

• Advertisement

Credit card, ID, utility bill (I used my Vodafone Ireland bill)

is it a vodafone shop.as i am o2 billpay not vodafone.cold i still get it.
    also how do you pay the monthly line rental, do you need a bank account in uk.

Cyrus wrote:
    also whats the p990i like and is it a vodafone uk store or a carphonewarehouse?

The P990i is great, a few software glitches that will hopefully be sorted soon.

It was the Vodafone store in the Richmond Centre in Derry.

drdre wrote:
    is it a vodafone shop.as i am o2 billpay not vodafone.cold i still get it.
    also how do you pay the monthly line rental, do you need a bank account in uk.

Presume an O2 SIM would be ok as the phone isn't locked

You can pay from your Irish bank account, I used my AIB account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭wba88

how long is the offer on for do u know? so overall u paid €370 and €150 deposit (which u got back)? am i right or totally wrong? thinkin bout the p990i, N73 (looks good), N80, N91 etc

wba88 wrote:
    how long is the offer on for do u know? so overall u paid €370 and €150 deposit (which u got back)? am i right or totally wrong? thinkin bout the p990i, N73 (looks good), N80, N91 etc

Yeah that's right.

Dunno how long the offer runs...

has anyone else done what ginger samurai has done.and does this work on an o2 sim card or just vodafone.also does anyone know how much a new nokia 8800 sirocco will cost on a vodafone uk simcard

lads just a note of caution, i wouldnt assume all phones are unlocked especially the newer nokias

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I'd happily take a trip to Newry to save a few quid on a new Nokia, but I'm on O2 as well, so I'd need to know if it was unlocked.

Might give them a call if I get a chance.

jrey1981 wrote:
    I'd happily take a trip to Newry to save a few quid on a new Nokia, but I'm on O2 as well, so I'd need to know if it was unlocked.

Might give them a call if I get a chance.
    im also on o2.when you find out please tell me as i would like to go up and get a new nokia 8800 sirocco.i love the design.

I'd be very surprised if the 8800 Sirocco was one of the free handsets on offer, given that it is retailing for about €1000 sim-free at the moment!

Didn't get a chance to call them today...will see if I get a moment tomorrow.

• Advertisement

jrey1981 wrote:
    I'd be very surprised if the 8800 Sirocco was one of the free handsets on offer, given that it is retailing for about €1000 sim-free at the moment!

Didn't get a chance to call them today...will see if I get a moment tomorrow.
    yeah it should be free, if not then around 99pound or something.its like a normal 8800 and thats free.

Phones4u have it on Vodafone from £299.95

Vodafone Newry
    Unit 33, The Quays Shopping Centre, Newry, BT35 8QS
    Tel: 0845 4400194

jrey1981 wrote:
    Phones4u have it on Vodafone from £299.95

Vodafone Newry
    Unit 33, The Quays Shopping Centre, Newry, BT35 8QS
    Tel: 0845 4400194
    what the 8800 sirocco.thats still alright price.anyway are you going to newry to get the bill phone.

Yep the 8800 Sirocco is £299.95 on the Phones4u site

Need to call them before I actually go to Newry!

At those prices, it's worth getting 2 phones! I'll ask if they have the Nokia E50 as well about the Sirocco.

jrey1981 wrote:
    Yep the 8800 Sirocco is £299.95 on the Phones4u site

Need to call them before I actually go to Newry!

At those prices, it's worth getting 2 phones! I'll ask if they have the Nokia E50 as well about the Sirocco.
    thanks jrey, i would be interested in going and getting the 8800 sirocco.or even if they have a 8800 in black cheaper.
    thanks.how far away is newry.is it just all motorway driving.

Tried calling the no. I found today, but I just got through to Voda customer services.

Will have to wait til Monday to call now - I found some other direct contact details for the Newry store, just hope they are up to date.

Newry is about an hour or so by car from Dublin, nearly all motorway.

Want to be sure I can get a phone or two before heading up there.

jrey1981 wrote:
    Tried calling the no. I found today, but I just got through to Voda customer services.

Will have to wait til Monday to call now - I found some other direct contact details for the Newry store, just hope they are up to date.

Newry is about an hour or so by car from Dublin, nearly all motorway.

Want to be sure I can get a phone or two before heading up there.
    thanks for your help.

No problem. If you decide to head up there, let me know.

jrey1981 wrote:
    No problem. If you decide to head up there, let me know.
    i will only head up if i can find out for sure that i can get this upgrade on an o2 simcard.I think the OP was on vodafone so it might be difficult.
    also can you find out if its possible to bring up a pay as you go simcard and transfer it a bill up there.

• Advertisement

Had a call back from the Derry shop today. Have emailed the Newry shop as I couldn't find an actual number for them.

The 8800 or 8800 Sirocco is not available from them.

Highest spec Nokia they had was the Nokia N73, but the phone would cost €50 on the cheapest ROI tariff, and it would be locked to Vodafone.

Anyone know how much you have to spend / how long you have to be with Vodafone UK for them to unlock your phone?

It doesn't look so attractive now...

Perhaps you should see if Phones4U can connect you to their ROI tariff DrDre, as they do have the 8800 Sirocco...

Advertisement