Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden guest house cost?

Options
  • 15-09-2006 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Hi cHaps,

Just wonderin (as it's Friday) :rolleyes: what the cost of a basic timber guest house would be all in ? would my SSIA (around €20k) be anywhere near able to cover it or am i totally in lala land ?

Cheers.

Fatboy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What size? what spec? throw out a few oul figures and we can have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Depend what you want, how big is it to be?? Bedrooms?
    All year living or just summer??
    Need more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

The thing is, we have an old ruined cottage on the site which we would love to do up, thing is, that would cost upwards of 50k and there are more issues with planning (very near a stream, totally derelict etc) and planning is pretty nigh impossible where we live these days...

So, just wondered about a wooden house / log cabin. Ideally for all year round use, only needs 1 bedroom, bathroom sitting/kitchen, doesn't hafta be big, just warm and weathertight....

Thanks for replying..

Fatboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Snivilian

Check out gardenroom.ie

might help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Snivilian

gardenroomS.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Well to give an example, I have recently got a shed built, 6x5m it has a shiplap exterior on 2" battens ,blizzard pro-T membrane, 10mm OSB3 and 4x2 stud walls
    I have insulated it with 100mm Moy Isover glassfibre insulation in the walls.
    the shed cost 4400 erected.
    I have triple glazed windows and insulated doors in the shed but I am sure that you can get a much cheaper option.
    I would guess depending on size and spec somewhere in the region of 10-15 k if you are careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A timber look might be better that building it out of timber completely, such as CJs timber cladding above.
    Flat or pitched roof woulf affect price, i'd go for i pitched roof with a fancy timber fascia for effect but maybe with a cheaper roof covering.
    Including the extras like sparks and plumbing, and he fact that it's going to get a better interior than a shed. i'd say its still possible, but going to be close to your SSIA.
    Where in the country are you.

Oh, an remember that you'll need planning permission for this too, that will be a bit extra, but it wont be a big submission.

Advertisement