Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Game is your Favourite?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Madrox

Final Fantasy VIII
    1. VII
    2. IX
    3. X

VII is the best game ever. period. The battle system, story, characters. All of it just add up to make a masterpiece. Also Sephiroth is the coolest, most bad ass enemy ever. There will never be a better game of enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Final Fantasy VIII
    My order of favourites is exactly as Madrox's. VII was my favourite, loved it. The stoyline was so complex, I was sucked right in to the whole world and spent hundreds of hours immersed in it. Have played it through again only this summer, right to the full getting all the materia and beating the weapons.
    I adored IX also, wonderful story, great gameplay & CGI was amazing. Vivi was the outstanding character in that game. I never played VIII, will get around to it someday. X I loved, the story was great also and it was the perfect next step on from IX. Some of the characters were otstanding, in particular Auron.
    Can't wait for XII!! Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Final Fantasy IX
    I voted VIII cos my one broke... You always want something you can't have...

My real fave is prolly VII followed closely by VI. Still haven't gotten around to playing IV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Final Fantasy VIII
    VII was the greatest game I ever played. It had such a deep story and so many sub plots I know I left out half of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Final Fantasy VIII
    Roonels wrote:
    well its gotta be VII....i mean wat a piece of gaming quality! the characters were simply savage! ill never forget when aeris got killed...i swear it hurt! i couldnt beleive and had to put down the controller to take it all in! if thats not a good game i dont know what is!!! they should make a movie from it! :D

They did,did they not?Is that not what advent child is about?

My vote has to go for ffvii aswell.Truely an unreal game,so pleased i got it up nd running on xp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

maxi-twist wrote:
    They did,did they not?Is that not what advent child is about?

Not quite, Advent Children is about a bunch of crap that happens about two years after the game ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Skiesonfire19

Final Fantasy X-2
    7, Well of course 7 'was' the best, it was the one that introduced the world to final fantasy (Outide of Japan). Killer story line! And it is also clased as the 'best rpg ever', with good reason.

8, I wasn't so fond of by comparrison, but it was great! The sory was a bit to.. Stupid.. But it was still an amazing game to play! (I also share my name with a main character of the game too).

9, Was amazing to play! Killer story line! And I loved the card game!

10, My favourite! Everythiing about this game was perfect, except it was too easy to complete! Well, with the exception of pennance, I stil haven't killed it!

10.2, Rubbish! Terrible story, terrible everything! Worst of the series!

I loved both final fantasy movies too!

And what about Dirge of cerberus? That's an amazing final fanasy game!

Skies

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Final Fantasy VIII
    7, Well of course 7 'was' the best, it was the one that introduced the world to final fantasy (Outide of Japan). Killer story line! And it is also clased as the 'best rpg ever', with good reason.

8, I wasn't so fond of by comparrison, but it was great! The sory was a bit to.. Stupid.. But it was still an amazing game to play! (I also share my name with a main character of the game too).

9, Was amazing to play! Killer story line! And I loved the card game!

10, My favourite! Everythiing about this game was perfect, except it was too easy to complete! Well, with the exception of pennance, I stil haven't killed it!

10.2, Rubbish! Terrible story, terrible everything! Worst of the series!

I loved both final fantasy movies too!

Skies

You really liked X over VII? I found X a huge disappointment. Way too linear. Which really annoyed me as I thought at the time that the "next gen" final fantasy was going to be vast. I think this seems to be a bit of a problem with games that have voice actors rather then reams and reams of text.

Then again, I've found everything since VII a huge disappointment. I missed out on IX as I found VIII so bah, mediocre. I'm hearing now though that it was actually quite a good game. hmmm. must hunt down a copy :D

Has this been released over here? I'm fairly certain I saw it in Game a few weeks back, I didn't look too closely and I didn't want to pick it up and look at it in case anyone saw me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Skiesonfire19

Final Fantasy X-2
    Yeah I loved x, best of the series in my eyes!

And yeah Dirge of cerberus is out, I got it just before christmas. And I really enjoy playing it! Vincent is bad ass!

Skies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AileStrikeZaku

[Bitching]
    You can't have a "which FF game is your favourite?" poll, with only SELECT ff games. :mad: And why have you only put in from 7+? There was quite a FEW final fantasy games left out! 1 through 6, Mystic quest, Final fantasy Legends 1 through 3 (on GB), and then tactics and tactics advance. I think there was two titles (one an EXCELLENT remake of one of the original FF, and another about chocobo :confused: ) on the Wonderswan Colour. I mean, Had you of at least mentioned 1 -6, I wouldn't be ranting.....
    [/Bitching]

That rant aside, MY favourites would be 6 ( or 3 if you origianlly played it in the U.S.) and then Final Fantasy Legends 2 on the Gameboy.

6 - Awesome. Story line was fab. Characters where fun! It was really the high-point of the whole magic/summoning system....

Legends 2- A quick burst of fun! Needless to say, coz it's for GB, it's not fantastic graphics or anything, but the in-game humour and neat game-play made for a good afternoon of fun.

so there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Final Fantasy X
    IX and VII are just amazing. People criticise IX because it's girly, too friendly, too soft, crap storyline .... whatever, but I thought it was excellent. Great storyline, interesting characters. Plus the music from both VII and IX is great too.
    Replaying 7 at the moment, then moving onto Dirge Of Cerberus. I started to play X but haven't finished it yet - will go back to it in a few months or something. Why does everyone hate X-2 so much?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Selphie wrote:
    Why does everyone hate X-2 so much?

The story is crap, the music is painful for the most part, the battle system is flawed and dull and they turn some of the best characters from FFX into screaming school children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Final Fantasy X
    I see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kamaz

Final Fantasy VIII
    VII!

Awesome part! It's difficult that's why I love it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

1. FFX
    2. FFVII
    3. FFVI

FFX was best for me, it was also the first FF i played properly, really loved the story, characters, world and music. Auron was badass! Kimhari had that cool tribe/hunter thing going on, Waka and Lulu had a reasonably intelligent love story going on (Chapu...), never liked Yuna that much, but Rikku and Tidus brought up the cheerful/goofy end, while having unique and interesting backgrounds. The story really shocked me in a well developed way with great plot twists (Tidus and Auron's true nature) and the music was really amazing, especially the gagazet music, spira unplugged and suteki da ne. THe battle system was way slower but more tactical and complex than usual, great for bosses but annoyng for random battles

FFVII was great too, but it lacked polish, its story was all over the place, especially that crap with Cloud not knowing who he really is, but it was still interesting with a good battle system

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Icarian wrote:
    FFVII was great too, but it lacked polish, its story was all over the place, especially that crap with Cloud not knowing who he really is, but it was still interesting with a good battle system

I got the impression he did know about his past. He just repressed it because he didn't want to let Tifa know he failed to be come a SOLDIER. Other than that it was a bit of a mess, mostly due to the bad translation more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Fresh2000

Final Fantasy X-2
    i went for FF X but to be honest... FF XII is the bestest for me

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Guinea

Final Fantasy X-2
    FF-X is the most powerful gaming experience ever created. With FF-VII a very close second. So what if Tidus is a jock douche-bag? The rest of the game is mind-numbingly tactical. And could Bahamut be any more perfect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

Final Fantasy VIII
    VII and X are the best ones with VII a little bit behind...IX and X-2 are absolute jokes trying to expand the audience (x-2 with the all female cast was ridiculous...) X is like a film so interesting but a bit mushy at times (tidus and yuna) but VII is just perfect...i hear its coming out on PS3??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Final Fantasy VIII
    I got VII on cd-rom thinking at the time it'd be a cool game to play on my PC. The controls are all done through the number pad. Its a really cool game id like to play with PS controllers but diffidently wasnt designed to be played on a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Final Fantasy IX
    1: Vii
    2: Viii
    3: X

Vii was brilliant, sephiroth is the perfect bad guy, was a prophetic soldier then turned bad just adds to the eerieness of himself! Plus all the side quests were brilliant.

Viii Poeople give this such a bashing and I dont know why? It wasnt bad at all, in fact I was just talking the other day to another FFFan and he rated it top. OK so the ending was screwed up but everything to that point was amazing.

X A great game. I didnt like the fact that there was no world map tho! That grievance particularly annoyed me.

I also Personally hated iX but i am going to go back and play it. it was all too girly for me, and I hated Zidane... with a passion! Such a crap lead character with his stupid tail.

ps: The music in Viii when ever the sorceress is around is absolutely amazing.

Viii Poeople give this such a bashing and I dont know why? It wasnt bad at all, in fact I was just talking the other day to another FFFan and he rated it top. OK so the ending was screwed up but everything to that point was amazing.

The central cast were quite poor. The junctioning system allowed you to absolutely piss all over the enemy with little to no effort. The game also featured the worst plot twist in the history of storytelling. It's been a while since I've played it so I'm sure there's plenty I've forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Final Fantasy VIII
    VII is best, massive storyline, great characters & baddies, best fighting system (materia rules :) ), hardest ever boss (ruby weapon, if you don't know what to do) and the ability to dress up as a woman.

X is great too, but i think VII had better storyline (X's twist about auron/tidus was obvious) and better characters.

XII is very like X in look and system (sphere grid and license grid are similar), but so far (not finished yet) storyline is kinda boring and characters are bland.Actual gameplay makes it brilliant though.

VIIIs characters and ending let it down, with junction/draw system being unimpressive (and sometimes quite annoying). Graphics looked like cardboard cut-outs, VIIs simpler blocky designs actually much better. Had brilliant card game though.

IX has crap storyline & characters (withe the exception of Vivi who is one the best in the entire series). Big problem is that Zidanes storyline is actually a copy of Vivis and Vivi does it better. Learning skills from weapons/equipment can be very annoying when it restricts you to weaker weapon in order to get skill you want, although this adds another element of difficultly which is not necesarily bad). Also, had pointless/incredibly difficult mini games that gave no usable rewards (skipping game) and card game that made no sense.

X-2 had potential (i like job system) but seeing as it turns into something from a japanese pop video by the end and has that annoying version of girl power crap(girl who can kick ass bare handed = girl power, ie Tifa, not bunch of screaming jumping up and down schoolgirls) it disappoints. I do like the fact that the endboss was actually mentioned in X, and didn't just come from nowhere (some-one, can't remember who, mentions a mech built to destroy Sin in the past, but says it was lost)

VI has too many charcters and the fact that you only get summons and the ability to learn magic half way through the game made it feel unbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Final Fantasy VIII
    FFVII one of the best games I ever played. Moved me to tears!

Only played VII and VIII, VIII was a bit of a let down but still a good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

Final Fantasy IX
    I don't know what it was but 8 just had something extra over me.Probably had to do with the well drawn characters or the modern love storyline. Easy to see why 7 is top do, yet i can't help think would that still be the case if final fantasy 8, 9 etc stories were the first the Playstation audience encountered.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Final Fantasy VIII
    joeybloggs wrote:
    I don't know what it was but 8 just had something extra over me.Probably had to do with the well drawn characters or the modern love storyline. Easy to see why 7 is top do, yet i can't help think would that still be the case if final fantasy 8, 9 etc stories were the first the Playstation audience encountered.........

actually, a lot of the people i know who prefer VIII to VII played VIII first, i think that whichever one you play the whole way through first must have a special place in your heart, especially if its the first rpg you ever played. ( i played VII first)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Juza1973

Final Fantasy IX
    I played FF VI first but my favorite has always been FF VIII

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nzamcdza

Final Fantasy VIII
    7 hands down, amazing game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement