Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newfoundland Pup... your thoughts??

Options
  • 15-09-2006 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭

Just heard that a friend of a friend has bought a Newfoundland pup.

He lives in a semi detached house in one of the newer suburbs of Dublin in a different county!!! ...so the usual sort of place with regular sized back garden sort of thing...

Now I think that is not really a suitable set-up for what is classed as a "giant breed"

Or am I wrong. Given enough walks (and swims!) can this work out o.k for all involved? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Once the dog is given enough exercise then i dont think it would matter....as long as he's not concered with a huge dog takeing up most of the front room :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I don't think garden size comes into it, my own dogs won't step foot outside the back door unless i take them out and certainly have no interest in running around the garden. All their exercise requirements are met by me taking them for walks/runs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

As long as your friend is willing to give the dog the exercise they need & has a spare sofa just for the dog - all will be happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Bond-007 wrote:
    As long as your friend is willing to give the dog the exercise they need & has a spare sofa just for the dog - all will be happy :D

Spot on!

I had a newfie for 14 years he loved his long walks and swims. He also loved lying on the hammock in the garden too!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

My great dane requires infinitely less exercise and room than my demented collie. Yama (the dane) is happiest when allowed to spend her day asleep on the couch. Neither are as bad as my hairy lurcher (sighthound x gsd we think) who requires at least 2 hours of a walk & a minimum of an acre of garden to stop her bouncing off the walls. I love my BooMonster - I just sometimes wish she'd sit still....

A newfie in a small back garden with plenty of exercise and stimulation will be fine. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement