Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left Bank

Options
  • 15-09-2006 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Going to the Left Bank next week for the Director gig. Haven't been there before, anyone on what's it like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Ya its quite good, not the biggest venue in the world, see the Directors play there a while ago before I knew who they were and it was a good gig.

Make sure you don't take the name literally as you may end up on the wrong side of the river in Fiddlers Creek...

Great naming convention The Left Bank when its clearly on the Right Bank !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

JoeyJJ wrote:
    Ya its quite good, not the biggest venue in the world, see the Directors play there a while ago before I knew who they were and it was a good gig.

Make sure you don't take the name literally as you may end up on the wrong side of the river in Fiddlers Creek...

Depends what way you're walking. If you walk the other way then surely it is on the left bank. :p

I've been there and it is a nice venue if a little bit small.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

JoeyJJ wrote:
    I seem to recall this being mentioned sometime ago. The right or left bank would surely depend on which direction you are viewing it from and would alternate accordingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bubthatub

muffler wrote:
    I seem to recall this being mentioned sometime ago. The right or left bank would surely depend on which direction you are viewing it from and would alternate accordingly

yeah but if your walkiin down past it and it is on your right hand side the name dosnt magically change to the right bank

No people its the flow of the river, the river flows west so if you are on the bridge facing the direction the river is flowing its on your right whalla !!

• Advertisement

bubthatub wrote:
    yeah but if your walkiin down past it and it is on your right hand side the name dosnt magically change to the right bank
    What if you are walking UP past it - it has to be on your left then :D

Okay then. If I walk over a bridge, does the left bank become upstream or downstream and does upstream become the left bank with the downstream the right bank? Then when I turn around, does the downstream become the right bank and the right bank becomes the upstream with the left bank being the right bank? Finally where does port and starboard come into all this? ;)

Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit.
    Just after seeing this masterpiece from smashey - translated it means I am a d**khead :D

Bull**** baffles brains.

Obviously true.

It goes with the flow of the river and its on the right bank!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

JoeyJJ wrote:
    It goes with the flow of the river and its on the right bank!!!
    my sentiments exactly, and because i made the effort to correctly spell the garavogue in my predictive text, i refuse to cal it by its other name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Why? its not like the pub called Left Bank now was called the Garavogue for years and years correct me if i am wrong but wasnt it opened sometime around 1998-1999 direction so to refuse to call it by a new name seems strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

Kenneth G. Wilson (1923–). The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993.

bank of a river, the left, the right

The left bank of a river is the one on the left when the viewer is looking downstream. The right bank is on the right-hand side.

http://www.bartleby.com/68/15/715.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I believe it's a reference to the Left Bank of the Seine in Paris, which is regarded as the city's artistic quarter. It's still wrong though.

gustavo wrote:
    Why? its not like the pub called Left Bank now was called the Garavogue for years and years correct me if i am wrong but wasnt it opened sometime around 1998-1999 direction so to refuse to call it by a new name seems strange

its ben the garavogue since i started drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I doubt theres many still calling McHughs "The Journeyman"

I still call it the Journeyman sometimes:(

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

gustavo wrote:
    I doubt theres many still calling McHughs "The Journeyman"

Surely you mean Gullivers

Left bank don't make directions easy. "Just follow the Garavogue downstream and it's on the right bank." - "The Garavogue? isn't that another pub?" :confused:

well the fact that its on the right side of the river (and no it doesnt depend on which way you look at it, from the rivers perspective it's the right side) makes me call it by its old name, and if the name is in refference to the left bank of paris i wont call it by that either as unlike a lot of eople who go to the place i'm not pretentious.

GG66 wrote:
    Surely you mean Gullivers
    QUOTE]

Next thing we will hear about Woolworths !! Moodys shop etc...

Maybe we should open a Sligo nostalgia thread !!!

• Advertisement

I was just thinking about that while I was having a burger in Wimpys and then I went shopping in Johnsons :D

Advertisement