Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subscribers, Guaranteed Search Function?

Options
  • 15-09-2006 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I'm spending way too much time checking if questions I'm asking all over the site are being answered by browsing through all the menus. I miss my homepage of:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?showposts=0&do=process&s=&searchuser=USERNAME

I'm just wondering, if I subscribe will I be guaranteed the use of the search function? I read a post a while back of a subscriber who subscribed for this function only and it was taken away. It was never guaranteed back then which is fair enough, just wondering have things changed? Search, for what I use boards, just makes everything so much easier.

The boardtracker wont carry out the above search, and if it can, I haven't figured it out:o I haven't researched the firefox plugins and I'm not sure of what they are capable of. The above search link I posted returns every thread I have posted in and returns the results as thread title, last poster, date etc. and will bump any thread with a recent reply to the top of the list, so even if a thread I've posted in 5 months ago has a new reply, it will be bumped up. It's a great way of keeping track of every thread you've ever been involved with on boards.

If this is possible with the firefox plugin or boardtracker, could somebody please explain how to carry out this search?

If not, what is the cost of subscription? I know Tom and Regi both play poker, can I chip dump on Prima with you instead of going through paypal? :D

Or else somebody could make me mod of some random forum:)

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I use the subscribed threads (with no notification) feature... it's quite similar... just go into your UserCP and any thread you've posted in, that has been posted to since appears on the list... you don't even have to manually subscribe to threads, since it'll subscribe automatically if you post.
    I couldn't be arsed with boardtracker either... it's a poor replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Boardtracker is pretty much useless in my opinion. The Firefox plugins are better, but all they're doing really is just typing your search into Google. I would definitely subscribe if it meant I was guaranteed full search functionality.
    cormie wrote:
    If not, what is the cost of subscription?

It says it in the "Paid subscriptions" section of your User CP. €5 for one month, €13 for three months or €50 for a year.
    cormie wrote:
    Or else somebody could make me mod of some random forum :)

Wouldn't do you much good, not even smods have access to search at the moment :)

Well actually all mods and mods only can search for a users posts here

That was restored for mods only last week to help identify muppetry.
    It can give funky results though if you type in the wrong spelling or a user that doesnt exist as I found out when I first used it :eek:

As for the subject in general,a full search is normal on any vbulletin board that I post on so I guess it will be back once whatever issues there are with the servers/delay and page loading is/are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies. I'm still not sure if subs get full search functionality back though:confused: Searching through google with the ff plugin wont be much use, I've tried that before and it doesn't yield the same results as the above link. I might check out the subscribe to post thingy.

Tom/Regi, who want's a heads up game on Prima for $5? I'll let you win :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Do you use the Subbed menu to subscribe to the forums you use most often? Fairly handy to have them all in one spot, it might help a little without the search function present.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

cormie wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I'm still not sure if subs get full search functionality back though:confused:
    No. They do not.

Thanks for the info. Just have to sweat it out so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Tristrame wrote:

That was restored for mods only last week to help identify muppetry.
    Thanks for that. The last 20 posts works for me, the IP comparison doesn't.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

IP comparison works on the premise that you can compare IPs accross the fora you moderate. As you don't moderate any, it won't work for you.

The link is modutils.php and is supposed to be used by mods to check for muppets.

Ah, thanks.

ohhhhh... Someone got shiny stars :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Really? I though that was just for the fora (private or not) that you have access to. In fact, I did some testing on that, and I think that this is the case.

Does that make sense?

I dropped you a PM hull.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Apart from "searching will be greatly improved for all users in the next 8-12 weeks or less", I have nothing to add to this thread except that I lol'ed at Hullaballo's tagline!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

In your user CP, use Edit Options to ensure that your Default Thread Subscription is not switched off.

To see all threads you have subscribed to, use Quick Links > Subscribed Threads.

Voila. No need for fancy search.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Tristrame wrote:

If thats only for mods, why's it working for me then? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Me too.

Click

Sssshhhh... Must be available for subscribers also :D

Since Tristrame posted up that link, we have discovered that the last 20 posts part is usable by everyone on boards. It's just that the code was originally just meant for mods. :)

Apparently it's ok to keep using that as a search tool, although, I'm not sure what good it is for non-mods!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

A horrible thought just occured to me:

You see on the Boards Tracker search page there is a little icon mid right that looks like this:
    collapse_thead_collapsed.gif

You have clicked that, right.... to expand the various options? (Or am I seeing something only I get access to.... ?)

DeV.

Yeah I have Tom but that doesn't allow me to search the for the same results as in link I posted above. See if I put in my username in the boardtracker search, it only returns threads started by me, where as, with the link I posted, it returns results with every thread I've been active in. I'm going to start using the subscribe feature from now on anyway and see how that works:)

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cormie wrote:
    Thanks for the help everyone.

NP, cormie. Glad to see you take advice. :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

Since Tristrame posted up that link, we have discovered that the last 20 posts part is usable by everyone on boards. It's just that the code was originally just meant for mods. :)

Apparently it's ok to keep using that as a search tool, although, I'm not sure what good it is for non-mods!
    I'm usefull

Yay \o/ :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Don't you stalk users hulla? See what they are up to?
    I know I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Would it help the search if most of the old threads were deleted? Like, from 1998?

i used to post on another forum, and they'd have a special forum for the best threads to go in. So the mods of each forum would lock a thread before the prune, and put it into the Archives forum, and everything else would be deleted at the end of the year for instance.

The forum in question never has any trouble with search or bandwidth or whatever.

Just an idea, I'm sure ye've all thought of it already anyway!

Would that help though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

DaveMcG wrote:
    Would it help the search if most of the old threads were deleted? Like, from 1998?

i used to post on another forum, and they'd have a special forum for the best threads to go in. So the mods of each forum would lock a thread before the prune, and put it into the Archives forum, and everything else would be deleted at the end of the year for instance.

The forum in question never has any trouble with search or bandwidth or whatever.

Just an idea, I'm sure ye've all thought of it already anyway!

Would that help though?
    I for one would hate that solution :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Tristrame wrote:
    hmmm the one problem with that is it shows reported posts, which I don´t think non-mods should see.

Advertisement