Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a frame painted

Options
  • 15-09-2006 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever painted their bike frame, or had it painted? What's involved and how much does it cost? Do you need to go to an auto-respray place or are there places that do bikes especially?

I've often thought that if/when I invest in a decent new bike, the first thing I'm going to do is get the frame painted matt black. Strikes me that the first thing a thief will look for when selecting a target is a good brand name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some bikes have decals that just peel off, I would like to remove all component labelling too, might need paint stripper.
    Places will powder coat bikes for you, but it would be pricey.

Have you thought about just doing it yourself? The crapper the job the less likely a thief will take it.

A bit off topic but has anybody ever used reflective paint on a bike? or glow in the dark paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

Has anyone here ever painted their bike frame, or had it painted? What's involved and how much does it cost? Do you need to go to an auto-respray place or are there places that do bikes especially?

I've often thought that if/when I invest in a decent new bike, the first thing I'm going to do is get the frame painted matt black. Strikes me that the first thing a thief will look for when selecting a target is a good brand name.

I have painted frames using car spray tins, came out ok but not as good as a professional job, plenty of little drips to sand down. Not worth the hassle unless you're good at spraypainting already. Have also painted lots of frames using matt black Hammerite (using a brush), this came out ok actually and gives a good tough finish. The most time-consuming / boring part of painting is getting the surface prepared beforehand.

Re disguising the brand name on a brand new bike, I'd say you'd be better off wrapping the frame in duct tape / electrical tape / strips of old inner tube - then you'd have an ugly finish that might deter the casual thief, plus your original paint is protected from nicks and scratches and when you're ready to sell the bike you can easily restore it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Good suggestions, especially the duct tape one. Thanks.

Advertisement