Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Sligo a city?

Options
  • 15-09-2006 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if Sligo is a city now or what? I've heard it reffered to as a city recently in the media occasionally i.e. Sligo city centre? Does it have city status?
    I'm interested 'cos here in Kilkenny (other side of the country!), it's had a city charter for centuries but don't it's officially recognied by government in the same way as Galway, Cork, Waterford et al. Any ideas?
    Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

It's technically a borough, not a city, according to the charter.
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

mfitzy wrote:
    Hey all,

Just wondering if Sligo is a city now or what? I've heard it reffered to as a city recently in the media occasionally i.e. Sligo city centre? Does it have city status?
    I'm interested 'cos here in Kilkenny (other side of the country!), it's had a city charter for centuries but don't it's officially recognied by government in the same way as Galway, Cork, Waterford et al. Any ideas?
    Cheers..
    The definition of a city completely varies. I believe at EU level it's anything with over 100,000 people but here charters etc tend to define it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Sligo is a designated "Gateway City" along with a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

It was created a city as by royal charter in 1613.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

dingding wrote:
    It was created a city as by royal charter in 1613.

Nope - it was a borough like Drogheda, Wexford, Clonmel etc
    This was the real founding of Sligo which grew up around the castle.
    James 1 of England granted the first charter to the town in 1613. It read “the town and all the hereditaments with the precinct thereof were created and incorporated the Borough of Sligo consisting of mayor and twelve burgesses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement