Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii details and poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

never actually bought a zelda before...I think this will be my first time :D Wii Zelda. Then role on 2007 with Sonic and the secret ring :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Duck hunt is part of Wii sports yeah ?

Have to see what games bro is getting so we dont clash :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

My bro said he will probabley get one.I'd say wario ware would be the most fun with a few mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

So getting this on launch! Just got a part-time job in Game so I'll get it a bit cheaper aswell!

Good luck first year college exams, I know what I'll be doing all Christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Yup, with zelda and whatever good games are available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Oh this sounds nice alright. Is white the only colour available at launch (or at all?) It'd be my preference anyway but I'm just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Yeah, White only to the best of my knowledge.

White is the new black anyway. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Yup, I'll be there on the 8th/23.59 on the 7th, First name on the pre-order list in Gamestop. Cannot bloody wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

smyths is generally cheaper for games then anywhere else........that...and i dont really like giving my money to Game/Gamestop

Im gonna get Zelda, Warioware and Trauma Centre and ExciteEruck.....cooking momma sounds awesome too :D

:( actually december 8'th is usually when all the country folk, come up to the "big smoke" :D to do their christmas shopping....its gonna be bedlam!!

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I reckon I'll be buying mine in gamestop, mainly because I like the way I can go into the liffey street or henry street branch and get the staff's genuine opinions on what I'm buying, rather than being greeted by some random teen looking to make a few pennies who will tell me "it's great" regardless of the game. That and It'll save me a bit of a walk-even if it's only 2 minutes out of about 40 to get into dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Going to have to call a few mates and get my order in asap, this machine is going to be great and its good to see that Nintendo are returning to the now rare thing called "free pack-in game", Wii Sports bundles with every machine, sweet!
    Anyhow, €250 seems reasonable, and together with a couple of games and an extra controller still comes in at less than €500, not too shabby at all.
    And at least the small differential between the US and Euro territories means we can check out reviews and opinions on the launch titles so as to avoid and Perfect Dark Zero moments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Games line up looks good, but I'm put off a little by it only doing 480p; bit of a waste of a HDTV...but the price is decent.
    Prolly get a 360 when the first drop in price happens...until then it's PS2/GC/PSP.
    PS3 ain't gonna happen unless they bring out a wipeout title for it...the only other killer app (GTA) will be on 360 and with the launch delay it looks like HDDVD might win out over blu-ray at least in europe...so along with the obscene price, that's PS3 all but dead in my eyes....and that's coming from a dedicated sony fan...

The majority of people DON'T have a HDTV so, I'm quite indifferent about the whole 480p decision. Also, Wouldn't LCD tv's be ruined by the wii's remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The Wiimote doesn't use the screen, but a bar you place in front of it, so that doesn't affect it.

I'll be hooking it up to my HDTV, doesn't bother me it won't look as good as my 360, it's not what I'm getting a Wii for. Getting mine December 8th too, will probably take that day off like retr0 :)

I've got the day off for a holy day AND it's the "culchies day out" so they're will be a mass exidos of people from around my town leaving the beaturful Wii's all to myself.

4 copies of Zelda anyone? :D

Timans wrote:
    The majority of people DON'T have a HDTV so, I'm quite indifferent about the whole 480p decision. Also, Wouldn't LCD tv's be ruined by the wii's remote?

Given the uptake of HDTV sets due to the continuing fall in prices, and the fact that this will probably be nintendo's only released console over the next ~4yrs, it would have made sense to future proof it somehwat IMO.
    But then it probably would have needed a sizable boost in processing/GPU power and that would have pushed the price up. But the GC did 480p through component....how can the Wii be deemed next-gen, apart from some innovations over the previous generation?

How so on the wiimote? [edit]Ahh just saw Koneko's post....you thought the wiimote used an IR/laser pixel sensor or something?

Wertz wrote:
    Given the uptake of HDTV sets due to the continuing fall in prices, and the fact that this will probably be nintendo's only released console over the next ~4yrs, it would have made sense to future proof it somehwat IMO.
    But then it probably would have needed a sizable boost in processing/GPU power and that would have pushed the price up. But the GC did 480p through component....how can the Wii be deemed next-gen, apart from some innovations over the previous generation?

How so on the wiimote? [edit]Ahh just saw Koneko's post....you thought the wiimote used an IR/laser pixel sensor or something?
    Yeah, I thought it might have been the same type of technology that a light gun would use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Most of my mates / relations who have kids have been saying they're prebooking Wii's for xmas, seems like its gonna be popular, I reckon the DS has alot to do with it aswell as PS3 delay.

Most of my mates / relations who have kids have been saying they're prebooking Wii's for xmas, seems like its gonna be popular, I reckon the DS has alot to do with it aswell as PS3 delay.
    Yeah, Defo.

The ps3 would've taken a lot of the Wii's market of kids I think.

Wii fo lyf. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Wertz wrote:
    How can the Wii be deemed next-gen, apart from some innovations over the previous generation?

According to Ninty themselves the Wii isn't next-gen, it's new-gen.

• Advertisement

jonnybadd wrote:
    According to Ninty themselves the Wii isn't next-gen, it's new-gen.
    Nifty Ninty again. :D

I do think they will pull it off. A lot of people think it's a gimmick that will be a flop but that's what a lot of people said about the DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

madrab wrote:
    I fecking hate the way something thats $250 means that it will be €250
    we will automatically lose €50 & knowing the irish market it will be
    €263 or something stupid like that, & wasnt it meant to be a "cheap" console? i dont consider its price to be that cheap & for just a bit more you can get a 360

sorry ill stop ranting now

You miss-understand the situation. Americans pay close to 0% tax on electronic goods. We dont. Hence when it sells over here the price is nowhere near a proper conversion. Its also why all electronic goods give a price in dollars, because tax rates vary from country to country, but not to any large degree in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Mmmh... wiill probably buy one from an e-taiiler -- get some other stuff off the biig iimporters, too (cheaper Wii-poiints cards for one).

Gettiing iit thiis year, tho -- won't waiit untiil 2007!!

Hmm,

Obsessive? I Think SO! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Roommates buying one :D heeheehee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Mmmh... wiill probably buy one from an e-taiiler -- get some other stuff off the biig iimporters, too (cheaper Wii-poiints cards for one).

Gettiing iit thiis year, tho -- won't waiit untiil 2007!!

You need to hold off on the Wii point cards for now, it could be like the points system for stars catalogue, the codes from one region wouldnt work in the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Good poiint; tho ii siincerely hope not.
    Anyone from Dundalk know where ii can pre-order one? (waiitiing untiil next week to do that, let the retaiilers get the iinfo fiirst ;)

Wiill also stop doubliing my ii's startiing... now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

K.O.Kiki wrote:

Good man :)

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Good poiint; tho ii siincerely hope not.
    Anyone from Dundalk know where ii can pre-order one? (waiitiing untiil next week to do that, let the retaiilers get the iinfo fiirst ;)

Overheard staff talking to some bloke in Harvey Norman's yesterday about the wii...I'd say it's a good bet they'll have a few....maybe xtravision too? As for the rest of the town? Pfft. Oh maybe virgin megastore and possibly CD world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

walked around cambridge today and Wii is the talk of the gametown, all the stores already have adverts etc up for it, saw that wii video playing in one of the others.

Though Game havnt started pre-orders yet, they're only doing registering for pre-orders.

Advertisement