Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding fine - Garda attitude

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

his point was he COULD argue it but he wouldnt be right.

".......(admittably it would be ideal if discretion were used, but its supposed to be be black and white)......." discretion IS used, thats why you dont get done when your alone on a straight dry motorway and get caught 5kph over the limit and anyone who says they got done doing 63 in a 60 is talking through their arse.

At the end of the day, if you were speeding and you were 5 or 25 kph over the limit, your still breaking the law and it doesnt matter if you were caught by a guard wearing camo hiding in the bushes or caught by a guard in fluro vests and blue lights flashing parked on the side of the road, your still breaking the law so dont cry over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

This may be an exaggerated guess, but if you don't wear a seat belt you could be half-way out the windscreen before the airbag deploys properly.

you're not too far wrong there, i've seen a few cars after accidents where the airbag deployed and the people weren't wearing their belts, one car had the shape of the passengers head pushed out in the windscreen (non-shatter windscreen) so it looked like like it was melted around hteir head.

i do know of a guy who got caught doing 110kmh in a 50, and his reply to one of the questions the garda asked him was that he was slowing down (the road was coming down a bend on a hill into a village with a bad s-bend at the start of the village). nutzzy is that excessive enough for you or should he have pushed it a little further???

the limits are there for a reason and when you have to go and tell a family that their son/daughter/mother/father aren't going to be coming home, as over 400 nurses/doctors/gardai did last year, then maybe you'll understand why the limits are there!!!

as the saying goes they're limits not targets!

47.—(1) A person shall not drive a mechanically propelled vehicle at a speed exceeding a speed limit applying in relation to the vehicle.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence.

(3) In this section "speed limit" means a limit which is—

( a ) an ordinary speed limit,

( b ) the built-up area speed limit, or

( c ) a special speed limit.

Section 47 Road Traffic Act, 1961.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

egan007 wrote:
    I was passenger with my friend who was driving.
    He was stopped by the garda after being caught by their speed trap
    doing 100kmph on an 80kmph stretch of a national primary route.

The fine was accepted no bones about that.
    What was a pain in the ass was the guarda's response to an answer my friend gave.

Guard:
    Why were you doing 80 in a 100 zone.
    Friend:
    Because I did not see you.

This guy is a very honest guy and tells it like it is - right or wrong...what ever you think.

So the guard behind the guard that was giving the ticket bends down and looks in the window and says with a smirk on his face - you are not supposed to see us - and winking the head like darby o'gill.

This is bull - the guards keep harping on about 'High visibility' campaigns yet it's clear that they are just being sneaky.

I would like to point out that this is not a rant about the speeding fine it's about the agenda of the guards.
    Their speed traps are Clearly 75% Money baskets 25% Slowing people down.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=garda+high+visibility&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
    Your friend's a dumbass... thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You're nothing if not decisive, Lundi!!!

Fully agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

magpie wrote:
    If they wanted people to slow down they would make sure their presence was visible from space.

What would be the point of that? We would have to put a guard on every street corner. Why not just obey the speed limit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

and they say its not about money... look at this for a typical example in the uk
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=403966&in_page_id=1770

Again I would argue that the guards have no resources here. I would be fully surportive of more cars equipped with on-board video equipment. Catch the muppets who drive dangerously and aggresively with proper motors and video equipment. ANPR (auto number plate recogntition) is available in Ireland is certain area's across the country. The next time you watch a uk cop show and they are showing a chase take a look to see if the letters ANPR are on-screen. Here's a link to explain all http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/police203.htm

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just because a road once had a higher speed limit, that does not mean that it was necessarily appropriate. The original limit may have been set when there was a lot less traffic on that road. It may have been reduced downwards in an attempt to help reduce accidents/injuries/deaths.
    ...or it may have had a motorway built to 'replace' it. Sections of the N4 which have been replaced by the M4 are now 80km/h despite not becomming less safe. If anything they are safer as less traffic would be using them. Their speed limit was reduced from 100km/h simply because the road was renamed to Rxxx.

this thread is gone way off topic and has turned into a rant as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

LundiMardi wrote:
    Your friend's a dumbass... thread closed.

Finally some sense on this thread, to the OP do you have a problem with the Garda or something? your friend made a comment which would sound like he was being a pri*k to anyone that he said it to and instead of the Garda losing the rag etc he just made a smart comment back and you have a go at the Garda because of it. I actually wished the Garda had to do a full check of your friends car and pulled him up for tyres etc and then at least you would have something to complain about.

how many threads do we have to have on the motor forum complaining about the Garda doing there jobs? they wouldnt have to stand out along the road with speedtraps if people like your friend actually obeyed the speed limit.

it could have been very easy for the guarda to sy, Im not happy with your name and address and arrested him to "verify" his name and address and then youd be walking home!

• Advertisement
Advertisement