Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Cinema Opens!!!

Options
  • 15-09-2006 4:31pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Finally after almost 15 years, Balbriggan once again has a cinema. The cinema official opening ceremony is today (Friday 15th sept)!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

That's good news indeed. So has anyone been to it yet? A friend of mine lives in an apartment just above it, so I'd a sneak peak inside when it was still bricks and mortar!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

wont actually be open to public til sometime in october. anyone get down? i was working late so never made it :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Didn't make it down either,but it is really nice to see new facilities popping up locally:)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

there's pics on www.balbriggan.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Morph&#233 wrote: »
    wont actually be open to public til sometime in october.

i think the 6th October is the date set for the 1st film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

It will no doubt always be full of local scobies, making it unbearable to be in....

The screens look fierce small too....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is there a link to info abotu the cinema?

Seen the pics on Balbriggan.net and googled with uot much luck

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

all the same. the cinema didnt actually open on the fifteenth. that was just the opening ceremony. Its supposed to be open tonight but i doubt it will be.

also can not find any linkage to a possible cinema website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

There is no content yet as the cinema is obviously not open yet.

www.newsavoycinemacomplex.com

Cinema opens next weekend.

• Advertisement

wonder what they will be showing?

Apparently due to some legal issues they can't show any new releases or US/UK titles for 9 months.

They will be showing mostly Bollywood, French Arthouse and Cinematic Plays for the first 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Islamic feminist comedies & Japanese homo action cartoons too.
    Oh, and a month-long Vatican "road-trip" series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've made some great home movies, maybe they could show them too?

That sounds strange,I wonder why?

That could be pretty cool though like the ifc on our door steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Moonbeam wrote:
    That sounds strange,I wonder why?
    SARCASM!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bluetonic wrote:
    Apparently due to some legal issues they can't show any new releases or US/UK titles for 9 months.

They will be showing mostly Bollywood, French Arthouse and Cinematic Plays for the first 9 months.

where you hear this? there's an add in the Fingal today stating they will be open this friday (fri 13th...not a great day to open! :eek: ) and the listings are all recently released films like The Departed

sirpsycho wrote:
    where you hear this?

I refer to the sarcasm post above.

Anyhow, anyone fancy buying it? Closed and redeveloped in 12 to 24 months is my prediction.

http://www.cumisky.ie/rm/listings/l0059.shtml

Group investment?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Wonder if they have the old reels from the original cinema, in which case it'll be showing Jaws, The Blue Lagoon and Close Encounters of the Third Kind!

Still, it's good that the place won't have to let the bingo crowd in on Fridays any more, which at least partly did for the old cinema.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote:
    I refer to the sarcasm post above.

opps, didn't read them :o

blastman wrote:
    Wonder if they have the old reels from the original cinema, in which case it'll be showing Jaws, The Blue Lagoon and Close Encounters of the Third Kind!

Still, it's good that the place won't have to let the bingo crowd in on Fridays any more, which at least partly did for the old cinema.

Add to that the Last Unicorn! Mad days sitting up in the old cinema... u'd never want to be in late and have to sit near the front...

I wonder will they be having the Wavin Childrens Christmas party in the new cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Ah, those were the days. Nearly better than Christmas itself.

Anyone been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Haven't been in but had a stroll up the town over the weekend and it certainly seems to be a magnet for the, eh, undesirable youngsters of the town.

Meh if it keeps them away from everywhere else then I'm happy :)

Haven't been in but had a stroll up the town over the weekend and it certainly seems to be a magnet for the, eh, undesirable youngsters of the town.

Meh if it keeps them away from everywhere else then I'm happy :)

You mean there are desirable ones somewhere in the town!

I went along on friday hoping to see The Departed that was listed. I arrived there and found that the only films on were: "Accepted", "Isolation", "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". We were tempted to go back for another pint in the Central but decided to give "Isolation" a go, just to see what the cinema is like. It was as expected, nice and clean, smelling of new carpets although I doubt that will last much longer ...see comment by peachypants above... If they keep the "undesirables" out and get in proper films then I'm sure they will take off.

sirpsycho wrote:
    I arrived there and found that the only films on were: "Accepted", "Isolation", "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

I can't believe they are showing a film that is available for rent in Extra Vision.

• Advertisement

Which one?

"The Wind that Shakes the Barley" i still being shown in a few Dublin cinemas and texas chain saw massacre is apparently a enwly released one.

i don't htink they are oging ot manage to keep the undesirables out but on the brightside it may give bored kids things to do other then drink on the streets and annoy people on a Friday/Saturday night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement