Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Cinema Opens!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Moonbeam wrote:
    Which one?
    The one I had highlighted in the original qoute.

There is no way a cinema with a reduced capacity of 5 screens should be showing something which can be obtained around the corner for rental, and which came to cinema on the 23rd of June this year.

A cynic would call that mismanagement of the cinema, then again sure why would someone want to mismanage it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

The should be showing The Departed instead of shaken barley rubbish.

[edit]
    Looks like they're be showing it from Friday - newsavoycinemacomplex.com now redirects to:
    http://sites.cinemas-online.co.uk/New-Savoy-Cinema-Complex/
    [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Ok boys and girls. I'm just home from the new balbriggan cinema. Went to see the departed at 1025 on saturday night. late show. Arrived in the lobby. Bought my ticket. Machine didn't work so she wrote our tickets in pen. Meanwhile the other attendent smash's his fist onto an earwig on the counter. Funny stuff so far. I get in queue. It is about 95% young lads. 16 to 20 age group. Most are locked out of their heads. Alot of skipping the queue and making threats to each other etc. Just typical 'young lad' drunk behaviour. Total scumbags. We cannot go into the theatre yet as the first showing is not over. We wait out in the lobby with about 50 scumbags for 15 minutes after the movie is meant to start. Eventually we go in. The cinema itself is awesome. Nice seats. About 160 seats. Smallest ceinema i have been in but not too small and has a good sized screen. Savage sound too. Now the sh1t starts. Movie is on but 3 young lads (18ish) are locked. Totally locked and jumping the seats. One row to the next. An olds couple in their 40s moves away. The young lads behind me start saying they will slap them drunk lads up etc. It's a terrible experience cannot concentrate on the movie at all. The drunk scumbags jumped the seats all night and laughed out love at each others genius. One of them then went out and came back with a bag of chips stinking the whole placeout with salt and vinegar!!! really fcuking annoying. Verdict? Great cinema but more scumbags than i have ever ever ever seen in my life. Makes uci coolock or liffey valleylook like malahide and killiney. 95% blokes in gangs of 6 - 10 acting all rowdy etc. Maybe you'll have more luck on monday. But i won't go again on saturday. Not cause i'm scared of 18 year old scum but because they ruined the movie for me. Totally distracting. I was very close to wanting to get up and drag one of them young lads out by the hair. but I was with my GF and not my mates so just ignored it. No security to remove them. Ther eis one security guy in the lobby but he is about 5ft tall and 50ish and looked more scared than anything else. It's inevitable a fight will break out here some night and place will be wrecked. You cannot let young drunk scumbags into the cinema at 1030pm on a saturday. simple enough rule. People were actually leaving because of it. Shouting and laughing and jumping rows of seats throughout the movie. I know I should of got up and gone out to get managment or something but didn't want to miss any of the movie (which by the way is excellent).
    anyways, hope you all have better experiences, but balbriggan is a disgusting dive of a place now. I've lived here 28 years and in the past 6 years it is gone so bad its shameful. lads wearing tracksuit bottoms and a vest and gold chains came out of the 745 showing before we went in. they looked like the kind of guys you don't want to mess with. Not branding them though as Im sure they wer enot jumping rows of seats during the movie. in fact maybe them lads should have been in my show and we'd see how long they would stand for young drunkards ruining it for them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

I was at the 7:45 showing and it was fine in there, no trouble from anyone. Most of the people seemed to be couples in the 30+ age bracket. I was very impressed with the cinema overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I went into the cinema last night and was quite impressed with it. Wonder when they will sort out the ticket printer though?? The cinema was nice and clean, nice and spacious and the sound was perfect. I thought the picture was a bit off a times, due to lines in it. The lines seem to have come from the projection window being dirty. The one other issue I had was that it took them ages to turn off the light in the projection room and it lit up most of the cinema, once that was switched off the room was grand.

Good stuff to have a cinema back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

100GSOMA "but balbriggan is a disgusting dive of a place now. I've lived here 28 years and in the past 6 years it is gone so bad its shameful"

God thats some overreaction to a few scumbags being prats on a Saturday night!!!! Believe it or not they are everywhere else also, not just in Balbriggan!! Still it does seem like there is a serious security problem in the Cinema. Was there on Sunday night - no scumbags in sight ( except on the screen - Departed was brilliant, lots of scumbags!, twists, great acting, Di Caprio and Nicholson esp). Still plenty of teething problems in the Cinema had to queue for 20 mins then they started the film before time and lots of people missed the beginning. Still despite all that basically "its all good" as they say -fantastic to have the cinema and please support it cos we dont want it to close down.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Quite a fiesty little first post! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I haven't been to the cinema myself yet, but I was talking to a friend (actually a mate of yours, 100gsoma!) who was at it yesterday and he said the same thing, there's basically a lack of security which means you get scumbags spoiling the film. It's the sort of thing you need to put a stop to early on or it will put people off going and that would be a shame. I hope it doesn't come to that, we've waited long enough to get a cinema back in the town.

Nice to hear that people are impressed with the actual cinema itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

nah it is "all good" lads. I was only being dramatic about it. It was just on the night I was vry sour as the young lads were "distracting" from the flick. The cinema however should have on a couple of security guys after 7pm each evening. It makes sense regardless of the clientel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pipscina

Well, I survived and was mighty impressed. Clean, good sound and except for the film breaking down and having to restart (!) all went well. 3pm show so only 2 scumbags and they were polite. Don't know how they found their way into 'The Devil wears Prada', unless they didn't know what Prada was and thought it was a horror movie. They left after half an hour, passing in a waft of aftershave and with a polite 'scuse me', as I held tight to my handbag. Best of luck to the cinema, and hope to God it works out for them, and for us.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Pipscina wrote:
    Clean, good sound and except for the film breaking down and having to restart (!)
    yeah they are using that ms os for cinemas now, ctrl + alt + del ;)
    Pipscina wrote:
    Don't know how they found their way into 'The Devil wears Prada', unless they didn't know what Prada was and thought it was a horror movie.
    You mean it isn't? ;P

Glad to hear that the majority of the experiences there have been good:) haven't made it down there myself yet but maybe next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Goin to be in Balbriggan at Xmas and will be pleasantly suprised if;

1) Its not attracting scumbags like moths to a flame

2) They're not showing the same films from a couple of months previous

Oh and does anyone know how do the prices compare to Coolock, Liffey Valley, etc,?

The prices are similar (€9), and for all those complaining about the "scumbags" there, a trip to the Coolock or Liffey Valley will put things in perspective...

MAYPOP wrote:
    and for all those complaining about the "scumbags" there, a trip to the Coolock or Liffey Valley will put things in perspective...

Is that supposed to justify scumbags and antisocial behaviour in Balbriggan cinema?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jack O'Bauer

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sunriser

Hi all,

I am a member of staff at the cinema and it's very sad to see the cinema being slated and it's not even opened a month yet! I'm afraid everyone will have to be paitent with us this buisness is all new to us and where just getting into out routine's at the moment we had a lot of technical problem's to deal with to start with and some are still being dealt with at the moment.

As far as the phrase scumbag's go's they are everywhere and not just in Balbriggan i think you'll find Coolock and Liffey Valley are a lot worse just take that poor young fella that was stabbed outside the UCI in coolock a couple of year's back for his mobile phone i think some of you might have forgotten that.

We at the New Savoy Cinema Complex want it to be a very good high quality cinema that's worth every cent you spend. I understand that some people are never happy with what they have but we are trying our very best.

Hope to see you all soon

sunriser wrote:
    As far as the phrase scumbag's go's they are everywhere and not just in Balbriggan i think you'll find Coolock and Liffey Valley are a lot worse just take that poor young fella that was stabbed outside the UCI in coolock a couple of year's back for his mobile phone i think some of you might have forgotten that.

So hypothetically speaking, as an employee of Balbriggan cinema your saying it's OK to have minor antisocial element as other places are far worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I would imagine most of the complaints were directed towards the management not the staff who are doing their best. In general the reaction has been hugely positive that we have a Cinema at last - and the quality of the cinema itself. The constant talk about scumbags strikes me as snobbery. I for one will certainly be back.

wow sierra wrote:
    The constant talk about scumbags strikes me as snobbery.

Your mistaking snobbery for having decorum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jack O'Bauer

Scumbags don't bother me at all (they are in every town), it's people swanning in 20 minutes after the film has started that gets on my nerves. Oh, I've an idea, Let's go to the cinema. Great idea. It starts at 8. Ah sure, they never start on time. Newsflash: THEY F*CKING DO START ON TIME. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sunriser

No bluetonic i am not saying that i'm saying it is imossible to stop teenager's from going to the cinema. We all know teenager's can be messer's and antisocial but i'm sure you where one yourself one day all we can do at the cinema is warn them not to act up during film's and throw them out if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

it is however not impossible to stop drunk teenagers from entering the cinema. A drunk teenager is usually pretty obvious so with adequate security this should not be a problem.

I am bringing this up as I think one poster mentioned that there was drunk teenagers in the cinema.

Bluetonic wrote:
    So hypothetically speaking, as an employee of Balbriggan cinema your saying it's OK to have minor antisocial element as other places are far worse?

Boys will be boys as they say. So far, after three visits to the cinema, the worst I've witnessed is a group of lads laughing and making some noise, which didn't bother me too much. In Liffey Valley, someone tried to steal my car, and the atmosphere around there at night is a hell of a lot worse than anything you will see in Balbriggan. That young boy who was murdered at the UCI in Coolock was also mentioned - this is what I mean by putting things into perspective.

Nobody is justifying antisocial behaviour - merely pointing out that cinemas attract teenagers.

A 4 and a 7 year old at an 18s cert film last week. Great work by the cinema security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Bluetonic wrote:
    A 4 and a 7 year old at an 18s cert film last week. Great work by the cinema security.

Surely more of an issue for the parent who brought them.

Oobie wrote:
    Surely more of an issue for the parent who brought them.

Of course it's an issue for the parent, however it's more of an issue for the cinema. They must ensure the law isn't broken.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Havent been yet, have heard the screens and auditoriums are quite small? Having been to Santry and Drogheda cinemas, im wondering can anyone tell me how balbriggan compares to these if you've been?

Im from the town and still live there, last time we had a savoy it was where the combined clubs is now, it was a massive screen and it doubled as a stage a few times a year for plays and the town festival events.

Would be nice to go to the cinema again in balbriggan, last film I went to in the old cinema was probably Batman (the first one).

I'd imagine the majority of folk will prefer to go to Movies@Swords in the Pavillions when it opens on Friday over going to Balbriggan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Ok, but have you been into balbriggan cinema? I was just wondering how large/small/comfortable the auditoriums are? I will probably try out pavillions cinema when it opens too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Morphéus,

I've been to both Santry and Drog cinemas (both drog cinemas when they were open). I'd avoid drog now because of the smell in the cinemas. Santry is nice since they done it up and it's grand and big but i'd have to say I would prefer going to the brig now. The screens are smaller but the seating is comfortable and the sound system was very good. I had no hastle whatsoever the two times I have gone so far and will definitely be paying another visit shortly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement