Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Cinema Opens!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Bluetonic wrote:
    I'd imagine the majority of folk will prefer to go to Movies@Swords in the Pavillions when it opens on Friday over going to Balbriggan.

I don't see why Balbriggan folk would want to drive/bus/taxi all the way to Swords, especially with all the new restaurants beside the cinema.

You seem to be very opposed to the Balbriggan cinema - any reason why? I think it's a great resource for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

You seem to be very opposed to the Balbriggan cinema - any reason why? I think it's a great resource for the town.

Yes I was wondering the same - constant criticism from the clientele to the fact that some parents brought young children to an 18s film( for which you dont find the parents as culpable/responsible! They will be the ones in control when it comes out on video) The cinema in Balbriggan is a great resource and I certainly hope people dont go to Swords.
    Why, Bluetonic, do you assume that the negative aspects of Balbriggan Cinema ( real or imagined) wont be replicated in Swords?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

MAYPOP wrote:
    I'm not at all opposed to the cinema, what gave you that impression? I've highlighted a few negative aspect, but that doesn't make me opposed. I also wouldn't go as far as to say it's a great resource for the town, great facility perhaps. The new extension to the Carnegie Library, that's what you call a great resource.

Do you think that Balbriggan would have a cinema if it wasn't a clause of the planning permission for the developed of Gallans Mill?

Do you think that the cinema has much of a future in Balbriggan?

Would you care to fathom a guess at why it's already for sale?

It's a shame it was built for the wrong reasons.
    wow sierra wrote:
    Why, Bluetonic, do you assume that the negative aspects of Balbriggan Cinema ( real or imagined) wont be replicated in Swords?
    Where exactly did I make that assumption? Truth is I didn't, you made the assumption on behalf of me.

My comment regarding the majority of folk probably preferring to visit Movies@Swords was made in respect of the larger screens, the higher density picture format, the better facilities/choice Swords had to offer and the how well the cinema can be easily combined with a few hours shopping.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Cinema has been on sale for a long time, nobody bought it as far as im aware, the company that built it decided to operate it itself until a buyer can be found. Most potential buyers will probably want to wait to see how successful the cinema is over the first 6 months or so before bidding.

Morph&#233 wrote: »
    Cinema has been on sale for a long time, nobody bought it as far as im aware, the company that built it decided to operate it itself until a buyer can be found. Most potential buyers will probably want to wait to see how successful the cinema is over the first 6 months or so before bidding.

Given the fact the the developer tried unsuccessfully for over a year to find someone to operate it I'm sure it will be difficult enough to find a buyer.

Has anyone any idea of turnover/profit during the first 4 weeks? It would be interesting to know if the cinema operators are making much, if at all, over their 27,500 euro monthly rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sunriser

I was standing beside the manager at the box office when this foreign family came in and asked to see a film they did'nt specify any film so Martin my manager told them they could only go and see one of them and he sent them off to Step Up. He told them under no circumstances can they go and see the Departed which has a cert of 16's not 18's. These people obvouisly went into screen 3 where the departed was shown during film's when nobody was looking.

They where then caught by Security and Managment at the door and where told they had broken the law but they drove off in there car before anything could be done about it this is all on camera for future reference.

Bluetonic i think you have a serious problem with Balbriggan your very bitter towards it.

As for your question on the size of the Auditorims Screen 1, 2 and 3 are a very nice size Screen one being the biggest. Screen 4 and 5 are small but the quality of the Screen in them are a lot better believe it or not. Seating is very comfortable.

It's kept very clean and tidy we have a great selection of snack's more than i ever seen in any other cinema that's for sure. And there's free parking just two mins across the way.

There's only one way to find out what it's like lad's and that's come in and find out for yourself's.

See ya soon

Sunriser

Has anyone any idea of turnover/profit during the first 4 weeks? It would be interesting to know if the cinema operators are making much, if at all, over their 27,500 euro monthly rent.[/QUOTE]

I know for a fact it is making close to your estimate in a week. So i don't think it will be going anywhere soon the developer is extremley happy with the profit's. Onwards and upward's as they say:)

sunriser wrote:
    Bluetonic i think you have a serious problem with Balbriggan your very bitter towards it.

What exactly are you basing your opinion on? A few thoughts and opinions I have with regards to the cinema? Behave yourself.

Apart from that I can't see where your coming from with regard my good self having a 'serious problem with Balbriggan'. You've obviously not read through the many other Balbriggan posts on Boards, or else your are very misinformed.

sunriser wrote:
    I know for a fact it is making close to your estimate in a week. So i don't think it will be going anywhere soon the developer is extremley happy with the profit's.

The developer currently has it up for sale. The annual rent from the cinema operators to the developer (or whoever buys it) is fixed and under guarantees so whether the cinema makes or losses money is of no consequence to the developer (or new owner).

Anyhow best of luck with it. Hopefully my misgivings will be proven wrong.

I'm not arguing with you Bluetonic everyone is entitled to there own opinion I'm just wondering have you been to the cinema yet? you seem to be very judge metal that's all.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me what the star's are in aid of under everyone's name's? I just got one there a minute ago.

sunriser wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what the star's are in aid of under everyone's name's? I just got one there a minute ago.

I think they are given to you when you post a certain amount of posts. You'll get two when you get to 100 posts and three when you get to 1000 - hopefully they won't be all about Balbriggan Cinema :rolleyes:

By the way I've visited the once alright, I though it was grand. Certainty no worse than many a cinema I've visited. My major complaint would be the quality of the film, mind you such is the decline of cinema!

oh great thank's.

Would that have been in the first week of opening you visted? There was a few problem's the Projectionist was just getting aquainted with the new equipment!

Im willing to go tonight with girlfriend.

purely for research reasons so I can give an honest account of the cinema facility.

any chance we can get in for free.

*queue tumbleweeds and howling wind*

:D worth a try! :D

Incidentally, what films are on and what times for tonight? I couldnt find you on entertainment.ie cinema section and as im not in the brig i cant get the times, plus you'll save me a detour on way home from station!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭thetrickykid

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p313.htm

Cinema listing are now being posted on Aertel..grand and handy that, as their own website is a bit banjaxed with some awfully annoying music too.

Bluetonic wrote:
    My comment regarding the majority of folk probably preferring to visit Movies@Swords was made in respect of the larger screens, the higher density picture format, the better facilities/choice Swords had to offer and the how well the cinema can be easily combined with a few hours shopping.

Personally, a few hours shopping with the girlfriend is my idea of hell, whereas a nice meal in one of the new restaurants in Balbriggan before or after the cinema is rather more attractive. Granted I can do that in Swords too, but I don't fancy paying €20 each way in a taxi for the pleasure.

Hope if you go to the new italian nearest the station that you give yourself 2 hours for a pizza and chips!!! Lovely food, shame about the service, bring back Liberos sit in!!!

Now which film? The Guardian, The Departed or Borat, reccomendations on a stamped self addressed envelope please.

Morph&#233 wrote: »
    Hope if you go to the new italian nearest the station that you give yourself 2 hours for a pizza and chips!!! Lovely food, shame about the service, bring back Liberos sit in!!!

Now which film? The Guardian, The Departed or Borat, reccomendations on a stamped self addressed envelope please.

I've been to both and the service was good!

And The Departed is a must-see!

I agree with Maypop The Departed is a brill film and Borat is great for an oul giggle. Borat is on at 8:15 and the Departed is on at 8:05.

The Itailan restaurant next door is lovely quiet reasonable price's too.

My girlfriend is a part time swimming instructor and qualified lifeguard and mad about all things water and sea.

i do helicopter training exercises (jumping into and out of while they hover, soaring down the side of a mountain at 100mph +) with the army and love all things thumpingly loud and potentially crashable, plus id love to fly the coastguard chopper.

As a result, we've decided to go see

"The Barnyard"

sarcasm intended!!

were going to The Guardian!

• Advertisement

we enjoyed the film, no trouble makers, comfortable seats with good legroom, quality screen and image and sound, nice popcorn AND you do hotdogs mmm.

Couldnt hear the cinema next door which some people said you could do, although have heard this while in santry (or was it drog... cant remember)

Will go again, girlfriend liked it too, nice staff and clean surroundings.

No "security" issues on the night, would like to think that they will be sorted very quickly and executed with extreme prejudice as in, no warnings, zero tolerance, ejected immediately, my advice, do your damndest to keep it that way, its the small things that make people turn away and with so many screens in close proximity (santry,swords,drog and brig) its the small things that will make a difference.

Keep up the good work, thanks for a nice evening.

Almost forgot, The Guardian... great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

The Guardian, decent flick alright apart from the dodge ending. I was there too last nite, not many in screen5 and still couldnt hear the other cinema. good sound and picture(although did ya notice the vertical red lines that appeared every now and then?).

That's great i'm delighted to hear you had a pleasent experience at the cinema.

verticle red lines? no.... as for the ending!!! Typical kostner mystic crap... also known as the sad - not - sad ending, or more commonly, "pants" :D film was really good and the actors were great, kuchtner (cant spell it) was v good in a serious-ish role for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Must pay the new cinema a visit soon, sounds like things are going teh right way anyway. Are they showing Saw III, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 lollipops

oh hello people. wake up and smell the coffee!!! i work at the cinema and i canm assure u it is the safest, most well run bussiness i have ever worked in.our manager has a no **** tolerence barrier and i can assure u there are no scumbags in there.the cinema is clean, comfortable and has relly nice staff. so get off ur high horse people and see that this cinema is what the town has been cryn out for for years. count your blessins folks. we have somewhere to bring our children, go on dates or just hang out with our friends and all on our doorstep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!XXXX;)

saw 111 starts tonite. enjoy

oh my god. i was in looking at guardian last nite on my nite off.i was there with a mate and there were 2 other people there,both of whom i knew.WHAT RED LINES AND MORE TO THE POINT WHERE WERE U SITTING??UNDER A CHAIR???????????????????????????/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Went to see Saw 3 last night and although I didn't think the movie was that great I love the new cinema. Very comfy, no scumbags, great sound.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement