Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Cinema Opens!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Can't wait to check out the new cinema, good luck to the staff.
    I hope it's a big success and they keep up the strict no tolerance policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 lollipops

thank you didihno. at last someone with a bit of cop. im sure you will really enjoy your trip to the cinema!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

lollipops wrote:
    saw 111 starts tonite. enjoy
    lollipops wrote:
    ...at last someone with a bit of cop. im sure you will really enjoy your trip to the cinema!!!;)

Lollipops - Your defence of the cinema is one thing, but you're pimping now. I can picture you sitting on the hood of a sedan parked on Drogheda Street dressed in a fur coat & a felt hat, smoking a doobie & telling passersby, "C'mon on in 'n' check out mah bitchin' pictshur-ho'!" ;)

haha hill billy you know me so well.im more of a thigh high boots girl thoughnthan a hat!!! (im on commision);) ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ok so I was feeling brave and inquisitive and decided to go investigate the Cinema...
    The young staff at ticket sales and the food desk were lovely and friendly and appeared to be enjoying being there:)
    The cinema was clean,tiny though and really empty so no one interupted the film!
    So for once I have no complaints..well it was a bit chilli.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

was there again last night

and once again no complaints at all. Was clean and tidy abd wasnt cold last night anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Hopefully going to Saw III this week (had to abort plans to go last week.) Will be spending my time trying to guess who lollipops is now, though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

blastman wrote:
    Hopefully going to Saw III this week (had to abort plans to go last week.) Will be spending my time trying to guess who lollipops is now, though! :D

Look out for thigh-high boots & no hat.

you will spot me a mile away.im the friendliest,nicest, most hard working staff member there!!!!!!!!hehe:p :p:p

lollipops wrote:
    you will spot me a mile away.im the friendliest,nicest, most hard working staff member there!!!!!!!!hehe:p :p:p

john carroll says the same thing

• Advertisement

I'm running out of days to get to the cinema. Hopefully tomorrow, now.

haha john carroll is pretty darn hardworkin and friendly too:cool:

blastman wrote:
    I'm running out of days to get to the cinema. Hopefully tomorrow, now.

just put the knittin needles down for the nite and get your coat on!simple ;)

Well, I would have done but I was at something tonight that I've already been banned from one forum for hinting at, so I can't discuss it further! :D

Anyway, technically, it's needlepoint....

lollipops wrote:
    haha john carroll is pretty darn hardworkin and friendly too:cool:

no way, id never say that about him:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

lollipops wrote:
    oh my god. i was in looking at guardian last nite on my nite off.i was there with a mate and there were 2 other people there,both of whom i knew.WHAT RED LINES AND MORE TO THE POINT WHERE WERE U SITTING??UNDER A CHAIR???????????????????????????/

Judging by the post dates it seems we were at the flick on different days. Every now and then short vertical red lines appeared on the screen - no joking! Dont get me wrong, I wasnt complaining and they were hardly noticable. Maybe they were just figments of my hangover from the previous weekend! Must pay a trip again soon.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Some questions so...

Food: Nachos? Butter popcorn?

Does this Savoy have any tie-in with the main one in Dublin? Any chance it will be joining in on those nice 5 euro tickets when bought online etc?

Does doesn't really interest me but I'm curious, film or digital projectors?

Good to hear generally positive feedback, I'm sure we will check it out some evening.

One thing that would be wonderfull ideal if this Savoy got together with the main one in Dublin and the various Omni cinemas and had something akin to the Cineworld Unlimited card. Pretty much a pipedream though but it would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

sunriser wrote:
    i think you'll find Coolock and Liffey Valley are a lot worse just take that poor young fella that was stabbed outside the UCI in coolock a couple of year's back for his mobile phone i think some of you might have forgotten that.

no. I didn't forget that. I don't see what the point is? We have had a fatal stabbing balbriggan too??? I don't think thats anything to do with the cinemas lack of security staff.

I think I can say this though... I have been going to ster century (liffy valley) and coolock UCI for years. seriously. once every 2/3 weeks for about 4 years. I have never EVER seen lads hopping over the rows of seats... so thats why I feel justified in being bitter with my trip to the brig flicks. This anti-social behavior kinda took away from the film. bit distracting like. The facilities themselves are great, and I'll give it another go on a saturday in a few weeks. See if it was just teething problems etc. I hope it was. But generally speaking, folks who jump the rows and go in and out for deli burger kinda ruin it for everyone else who pays 9.50.

cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

did you immediately leave the cinema when they jumped the seats and call the cinema staff?

did you just sit there tut tutting and pretending that you were really annoyed yet not bra ve enough to do something about it, or in the hope that someone else would?

If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem and NOT reporting these ASBO muppets is definitely not the solution.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The cinema in balbriggan was empty when I went a few Friday nights ago, as for the other 2 in my experience UCI Coolock can be a complete nightmare and loads of kids and stuff hanging around outside too,Liffey valley on the other hand is lovely,comfie,has electric ticket machines and tbh never had a problem there except maybe the huge queues for tickets which is now fixed by the ticket machines:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sunriser

100gSoma wrote:
    no. I didn't forget that. I don't see what the point is? We have had a fatal stabbing balbriggan too??? I don't think thats anything to do with the cinemas lack of security staff.

I think I can say this though... I have been going to ster century (liffy valley) and coolock UCI for years. seriously. once every 2/3 weeks for about 4 years. I have never EVER seen lads hopping over the rows of seats... so thats why I feel justified in being bitter with my trip to the brig flicks. This anti-social behavior kinda took away from the film. bit distracting like. The facilities themselves are great, and I'll give it another go on a saturday in a few weeks. See if it was just teething problems etc. I hope it was. But generally speaking, folks who jump the rows and go in and out for deli burger kinda ruin it for everyone else who pays 9.50.

cheers

That fatal stabbing in Balbriggan was nothing to do with the cinema or infact the cinema was'nt even brick's and mortor at that stage where as the stabbing of a teenager was in the ground's of UCI in coolock.

I agree with Morpheus how the hell are the cinema staff suppose to know that there is anti social behavier going on in the screen's if it is not reported and if i can just remind people that happend in our second week of opening we have tight rain's on these kinda problem's now.

As for kiosk's (ticket printer's) our's is up and running now

"how the hell are the cinema staff supposed to know if theres anti social behaviour in the auditoriums if it's not reported?" I would of thought you would keep an eye on whats happening in the auditoriums for the first couple of weeks anyway to weed out the "messers" which inevitably will go in and disrupt the picture for everyone.

and Morpheus, as for your "did you not leave cinema immediately and report it" eh no... I paid €9.50 to see a movie, not to miss part of it babysitting!! and no, I did not tut tut all night or hope someone was "brave" lol enough to confront the drunkards. Neither did I act annoyed all evening, In fact I listened to a group behind me postulate how they would "give that ****ing c**t the slaps" if he didn;t stop jumping the rows. they must not have been brave either though as they sat there too.

As for this "if your not part of the solution your part of the problem" attitude... Your wrong. The cinema are providing the service. I pay my money to see the movie, I am not part of the problem because I don't leave the picture immediately to report this ASBO behaviour, or interfere directly.

anyways, as it happens I did do my part and wrote a letter to the manager. So in this case, I am certainly not part of the problem when I take the time to highlight some problems and to make a few suggestions to management. I am delighted we have the cinema locally now and hope it thrives.

This bit about the stabbing is really out of order. I suggest it be dropped right now but let me clarify something, it did not happen in the cinema, nor even in the grounds. It happened outside the grounds. It is just up the road from me. It used to be a dark spot and they have since added lights along the way. None of it is at all relevant. Move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

halenger wrote:
    This bit about the stabbing is really out of order. I suggest it be dropped right now but let me clarify something, it did not happen in the cinema, nor even in the grounds. It happened outside the grounds. It is just up the road from me. It used to be a dark spot and they have since added lights along the way. None of it is at all relevant. Move on.

Forgive my ignorance, but are you referring to the tragic stabbing that happened up near Hampton Green possibly 8 or 10 years ago in Balbriggan or about the equally tragic stabbing outside the UCI in Coolock??

This may not be my favourite thread yet I believe that people are entitled to discuss their rational feelings about security in and around cinemas and the tendency of 'undesirables' to frequent these places. Like it or not, the stabbing happened, and ignoring it or telling people not to talk about will not hide the fact of what happened.

I'm going to finish up now, this thread is starting to go down the line of something from 'After Hours' ;)

Hmm, I should've made that clear, I was talking about the UCI. People are free to discuss security etc but I feel this is out of hand. sunriser said it happened in the grounds in the post above, I should have quoted that. That was what I was clearing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Chopperdog wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance, but are you referring to the tragic stabbing that happened up near Hampton Green possibly 8 or 10 years ago in Balbriggan or about the equally tragic stabbing outside the UCI in Coolock??

Good memory, April 27 1996.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Good memory, April 27 1996.

I cannot believe its over a decade ago.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

100gSoma wrote:
    I cannot believe its over a decade ago.... :eek:

Yeah it's gas isn't it, a shocking 'accident' of sorts I suppose.

ok lads and ladies.dont make me get all flustered again!just behave yourselfs and get along:p and absolutly no more given out about my luvly cinema.any more problems , go to the kiosk and ask for lollipops to sort out the bold chappies!!! now play nicely:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

oh my!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement