Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any decent dance songs ye can reccommend me as a newbie

• 15-09-2006 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Ive never really being mad into dance stuff and havent listened to much outside of pubs or clubs and suchlike.What tracks should i download, ive got some scooter stuff but not mad on it, dont really know any bands or dance artists to search for. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Judging by scotter, an locigial step would be trance.

Songs by tiesto would be a decent place to start. More commercial bands like chemical brothers, faithless, underworld would be another idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Steveo1983

You should check out mylo. got some good tunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

you cant go wrong with Defected or Hed Kandi some of the better labels out there';)

http://www.defected.com/

http://www.hedkandi.com/Pages/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

Christian alvarez, kiko navarro or the man kerri chandler.Christian Hornbostel is class too
    stereo sushi maybe but hed kandi is for girls.

Sorry just re read the post, you like scooter, I recommend dj daniel O donnell ,he's a maniac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Actually if you did read his post you'd see that he isn't interested in Scooter smart arse.

No need to get into the personal insults, Is that all you are bringing to the table? No recomendations for our buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Judging by scotter, an locigial step would be trance.

Songs by tiesto would be a decent place to start. More commercial bands like chemical brothers, faithless, underworld would be another idea.
    do people really consider underworld commercial? i always thought they were pretty 'alternative', obviously born slippy and 2 months off excluded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Mahou wrote:
    but hed kandi is for girls.

what age are you again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote:
    what age are you again :rolleyes:

The quality of the Hed Kandi comps have gone downhill and more comercial in the last few years.The back to love stuff is still good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Get a copy of the following:

Leftfield "Leftism"
    Orbital "Insides"
    Underworld "Beaucoup Fish"

Three different styles, three great albums, good entry points. Download some mixes from deephousenetwork.com for some good soulful music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

www.di.fm

Listen to the different stations/types of dance music, take down the names of tracks you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

dunno if it counts as " dance" but
    any leftfield, any faithless
    "bow down mister " by JesusLovesYou (Boy George ) (sorry just really wish that song was played more
    Pet Shop BOys- fUNDAMENTALISM , THE REMIXES (especially Sodom & Gomorrah Show/I'm with Stupid)
    Madonna Revisited, espeically the Thunderpuss remic of "Dont Tell Me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lucifers303

Good recommendations there Beans! I would also suggest the following: The Prodigy - Fat of the Land
    The Chemical Brothers - Dig your own hole $$$$$Absolute pure class the both of them.$$$$$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

2 many djs (also known as Soulwax) and tiga - my favourites, everyone loves them...
    the progidy, faithless, chemical brothers are classics
    try also eddie halliwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Tiga was a good call, but try to get one of his dj sets as the quality of stuff is more consistent than on the sexor album. Cut Copy's recent fabric live mix is great. Good mix of stuff and really accesible. Same goes for the 2manyDj's mixes.
    Would actually stear clear of getting the 'classic' albums, though Leftism is solid enough. They're deemed classics mostly by people who were around when the stuff was released, and have seen the acts live at festivals over the years, so the music would have a seminal appeal to them.
    Orbital are great,but get ito them at your peril, as it will break your heart that you will never see them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

bit of mark mc cabe ... Maniac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

OP you gotta listen to abit of all mentioned above and get a feel for what area you like,

Theres House heads, Techno Heads and Trance heads (*boo urns) for which you can be affiliated with (in a general sense ppl).

Tbh though you should start with semi-commercial stuff i.e Underworld and the like as they have a sound that crosses over all tastes then just follow your ears (not what ppl tell you is good) to find your true tastes in dance music.

My own personal vice is funky funky house music followed by some nice rockin techno provided by Dave Clarke, Ben Simms, Jeff Mills.
    Also d/loading dj sets are a great way to build up your music collection freely www.electronics.vizio.biz is a great source of downloading any number of sets from just about any dj.

Or... forget dance music as it exists today. First listen to some dancehall / funk / disco / soul to see where it all evolved from. It's hard to take a genre like house out of this context... well not hard, but unfulfilling maybe.

It's all music, don't get caught up in genre this and subgenre that. Don't overcomplicate it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

GiGi D'Agistino is pretty decent...
    Also check out Cascada, Dj Cammy, Teisto.

some links to mixes of various types:

kind of soul/jazz/hiphop/funk/house/

Some classic house from New York 2002

Vitalic live, tough techno

Greg Wilson house mix Greg is one half of Fish Go Deep, who are also worth checking out

Loads out there to explore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Good recommendations there Beans! I would also suggest the following: The Prodigy - Fat of the Land
    The Chemical Brothers - Dig your own hole $$$$$Absolute pure class the both of them.$$$$$$

Good call, Climbatize still sends shivers down my spine when that bassline kicks in. One of the best intros ever.

Another 2 great albums well worth a listen.

Chemical brothers - Come with us.
    Daft Punk - Homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thanks for all the reccommendations, folk. Just to update ye on what i thought of all the stuff i dloaded.

I liked a good amount of the chemical brothers, and like a couple songs from Daft punk but not overall.

Heres the songs i liked/didnt like from the above 2 artists:

Chemical brothers
    chem brothers - leave hone (60secs soundtrack) Really like
    Dig your own hole - alirght, like the music at the start and halfway thru, but then it strays off and im not mad on the rest..
    in dust - good
    out of control - Good
    let forever be - okish
    bass test - okish
    galavanise - Class, more my thing(i know its more of a song than just music but so far that seems to be what i like. Finding it hard to
    really like any of the just music stuff.
    Replacement killers - Good, nice and fast and not headwrecking beats even if it is repetitive
    galaxy bounce - ok

Daft Punk
    daft punk - technologic - werid- dont like the lyrics, bit nerdy
    around the world good but very repetitive,,, headwrecking after a bit
    Da Funk - is good
    Not mad on "one more time"
    Club soda - bland dont like
    teachers - bland
    Alive - ok music
    phoenix - bland
    revolution909 - bland
    oh yeah - land

To give ye a better idea of what i like. I used to like 2unlimited when i was younger and have listened to them there recently and got back into that sort of stuff. I like that fast/rhythm music,,, dont really like the songs that
    just repeat the same couple of words and same bit of music every
    5secs. I know 2unlimited stuff is more lyrical but i like the just music stuff aswell as long as its not repetitively headwrecking.

faithless - I dloaded some Faithless and wasnt impressed. Is this the same lad that does that classic "God is a Dj" song which i think is class. I didnt really like any of the other faithless stuff i dloaded.

I downloaded a various amount of the bands suggested in the earlier posts in this thread and i didnt really like any of them, but ill update ye better in a while as i want to relisten to them.

Cheers!

If you think Phoenix is bland then don't bother with the whole house music thing. Download 'Out there somewhere' parts 1 and 2 by Orbital for a more melodious experience

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

griffdaddy wrote:
    do people really consider underworld commercial? i always thought they were pretty 'alternative', obviously born slippy and 2 months off excluded

Commercial in a sense that i notice its not just "dance" fans that like them, seem to have a broad appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

anything by cirez d / pryda
    steve angello d ramierez can be good

go onto dj download and listen to the samples in each genre till you find a genre were you like the general sound of the songs beatport is another alright site for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

PeakOutput wrote:
    anything by cirez d / pryda
    steve angello d ramierez can be good

go onto dj download and listen to the samples in each genre till you find a genre were you like the general sound of the songs beatport is another alright site for this
    I thought Cirez D's stuff was vinyl only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

try superpitcher,myer or any of the stuff on kompakt, ****katapult any hawtin stuff,green velvet, **** there's loadsof good stuff, just dive in and enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smurfindan

I am just getting started with the whole DJing thing. Does anyone have some good basic sets or songs to start learning with? I would assume trance is a good place to start but I really know nothing.

What kind of music do you like? I guess that would be the best place to start

If you don't like the music you're playing then you're kind of defeating the purpose

Advertisement