Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop won't detect my battery

• 15-09-2006 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

My laptop no longer detects that I have a battery. It seems to think that my laptop is always plugged in, no battery shows up in power options. Also, The standby button is disabled and when I turn off the laptop it goes to the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" (something I've never seen on XP!).

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, no luck, no battery shows up in device manager (quite certain it did before). When this started happening, I was installing VMWare Server on XP home which I was hacking at to get working (as it requires IIS and IIS ain't sposed to install on XP home). During the same boot I was cleaning up loads of files that were in C:\, and I must have deleted some important files accidentally.

AFAIR, when I rebooted it gave me two errors, one about missing boot.ini and something about HAL (Hardware Access List). Realising that I had probably deleted important files, I went into XP repair console and ran bootcfg which rebuilt boot.ini. XP booted up then, but that's when the battery stopped being detected.

It is still detected in the BIOS (i.e. I can check how much it is charged).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What is the make/model of the laptop? Is the any battery recalibration feature that you could try in the BIOS and see if it makes any difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

It's a Dell Inspiron 630m. I haven't tried that recalibration yoke you think of, but I think it's purely an operating system issue (hence the windows forum) because I have fedora installed and it has no problems with the battery

Advertisement