Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost Office 2003 Serial Code

• 15-09-2006 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi,
    While away for the summer my family purchased a new computer. It came with Office 2003 and they installed it. However, until I got back and needed to use it, they never actually ran any of the programmes, such as Excel or Word.Now when I run Word I am being asked for a serial code, one I'm sure they had to enter during installation but which I can no longer find. I can't even find the installation cd. Any ideas as to what I could do to get a serial code? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dell PCs that come with Office, usually come with office preinstalled. When you first start any of the office applications, you're prompted for your CD key.

Chances are your family didn't install it, so the magic jelly bean keyfinder is probably no use to you (but it wouldn't hurt to try). The key is usually on the CD sleeve. You'll have to find it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

paper hunt most likely, since 2003 needs activation someone elses serial number is no use to you.

if all else fails http://www.openoffice.org

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check with Dell to see what was ordered. If you've paid for office 2003 OEM then I'm not sure who you call to get a serial. But since it can't be installed on any other machine you should be entitled to a serial.

I think you'll get bounced between microsoft connections and Dell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

dell are under no obligation to replace a key that you lost.
    nor are microsoft.
    its a different story if you just bought it and no key came with it,
    then dell will have to send you one which they can claim back from the distributor.

your looking at a new license unfortuately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

wait a sec,
    if i read that differntly,
    your family installed office themselves.

that means theyve already used the key.
    what your being asked for now is the activation code.

there should be an activate online option,
    or else call the PA centre and be done with it

http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/assistance/ha011508341033.aspx
    Replace lost Office product keys
    To obtain a new product key for your Office program in the United States, call 1-800-936-5700 and speak to a Microsoft customer service representative. Outside of the United States, call the number that appears in the activation wizard.

When you call Microsoft for a new Office product key, have the following items available for the customer service representative:

* The product CD-ROM
    * The computer on which you want to install Office
    * The readable parts of your original product key (if available)
    * The ProductID information in the registry

ShowHow do I find the ProductID?

Caution If you use the Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using the Registry Editor incorrectly. Use the Registry Editor at your own risk. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on the computer.
    1. Quit all programs that run on Microsoft Windows.
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type regedit and then click OK.
    4. Expand the registry to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    5. Under Uninstall, there may be several globally unique identifiers (GUID) that contain long names (a combination of alphanumeric characters). Each GUID is specific to a program that is installed on your computer.Registry Editor

Select a GUID and then view the DisplayName in the right pane. If the DisplayName is not your Office program, continue to the next GUID. After you find the GUID that contains your Office program, find the ProductID key and make a note of the Data column value.
    Registry Editor Data column

Caution If you use the Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using the Registry Editor incorrectly. Use the Registry Editor at your own risk. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on the computer.

1. Quit all programs that run on Microsoft Windows.
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type regedit and then click OK.
    4. Expand the registry to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    5. Under Uninstall, there may be several globally unique identifiers (GUID) that contain long names (a combination of alphanumeric characters). Each GUID is specific to a program that is installed on your computer.Registry Editor

Select a GUID and then view the DisplayName in the right pane. If the DisplayName is not your Office program, continue to the next GUID. After you find the GUID that contains your Office program, find the ProductID key and make a note of the Data column value.
    Registry Editor Data column

Note The ProductID for your version of Office may not appear in the Office GUID on your computer. Inform the customer service representative that the ProductID is not available.

Advertisement