Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin router - HELP!

Options
  • 15-09-2006 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to install a Belkin router on my PC. Now the trouble I'm having is when I connect the router to the PC. I am getting limited or no connectivity. Can anyone suggest as to what I can do to remedy this? Or maybe what am I doing wrong???:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Woah there, Ted! Easy on the details.

Q: Model of the router? wifi or ethernet? Can you still connect?
    Solution:
    Switch to static IP addressing.
    (Start-> Connect To-> right-click on the card -=> Properties -> TC/IP -> assign manually (Assuming XP))

More information in the question gets you more information in an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Nightwish wrote:
    I'm trying to install a Belkin router on my PC. Now the trouble I'm having is when I connect the router to the PC. I am getting limited or no connectivity. Can anyone suggest as to what I can do to remedy this? Or maybe what am I doing wrong???:o
    Is this a wireless problem, or are you getting a "limited or no connectivity" error message on a wired connection?

If it's a wireless problem, read the FAQ on the Wireless forum.

If you're connecting the PC to the router with an ethernet cable, check that the etherent card is set up get get an IP address automatically, and doesn't have a static address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Apologies, I;m just getting very pi$sed off at this stage trying to run this bloody thing (2 weeks now!). Its a Belkin Wireless G Router, and its ethernet...the router is recognising the connection to the modem but not the PC. On the PC network connections it just says either the cable is unplugged (which it isnt) or there is no connectivity.

Nightwish wrote:
    On the PC network connections it just says either the cable is unplugged (which it isnt) or there is no connectivity.
    "There is no connectivity" usually indicates that the PC was looking for a DHCP address, but didn't get one.

Open a command prompt (Start/Run, enter CMD and click OK. In the black window that opens, type IPCONFIG. What does the IP Address: line say?

According to a manual on the Belkin sute, they use 192.168.2.1 for their router interface.

• Advertisement

Well I can pick up the wireless signal on my laptop so something is working somewhere. Its just very strange that the install wizard says there is no connectivity between the router and the PC. I wouldnt normally mind that cos its working, but it just means I cant secure the network.

Nightwish wrote:
    Well I can pick up the wireless signal on my laptop so something is working somewhere. Its just very strange that the install wizard says there is no connectivity between the router and the PC. I wouldnt normally mind that cos its working, but it just means I cant secure the network.
    No, it means that install wizards are a load of crap. If you want support with getting an install wizard working, contact Belkin. If you just want to get your network running, forget about the Install Wizard, and connect directly to the router to set it up.

Ok I've been doing just that! Thanks for your help! Just one last question, how do I secure the network?

Nightwish wrote:
    Ok I've been doing just that! Thanks for your help! Just one last question, how do I secure the network?
    Enable WPA encryption. If you post the model number of the router(Blekin makes dozens of different routers), I'll read the manual for you, and post the page numbers that the relevant screens are documented on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Regarding the wired connection to the PC, it sounds like the cable is not suitable (if it's reporting that the LAN is disconnected). That's why you're not getting an IP address (limited or no connectivity). Maybe you're using a cross-over cable (meant to connect 2 PC's back-to-back) or maybe it's a phone cable or something? Or a dodgy ethernet port (PC or router)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement