Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ebay bans sale of black metal

• 15-09-2006 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently, according to blabbermouth:
    eBay Banning Sale Of Black Metal Albums? - Sep. 14, 2006
    Paula Hogan of MANIC Music & Distribution and Candlelight Records USA has contacted BLABBERMOUTH.NET to report that "eBay is [allegedly] currently starting a ban on black/extreme metal. A few of our vendors who have sizeable eBay stores are now finding their items pulled down by eBay directly. The list we have compiled so far that have been pulled for sale via any eBay stores or auctions is noted below. I'm sure there are more."

Added Dan Ferguson of Indianapolis, IN's Abyss Records: "I had a number of items removed and account suspended by selling black metal. It seems a group of so-called Christians have been reporting black metal bands (even though eBay has black metal as a search genre) as all racist and hateful and discriminatory."

The items that were allegedly removed by eBay because they "violated the eBay Hateful or Discriminatory policy" are as follows:

BURZUM - Complete 6 LP SET
    EMPEROR - IX Equilibrium ORIG. LP
    WOTANORDEN - From The.. CD
    BURZUM - s/t / Aske DOUBLE LP
    1349 - Beyond The CD
    DARKTHRONE - Panzerfaust CD
    MAYHEM - Collection 4 LP SET
    PANTHEON - Krihapentswor CD
    DARKTHRONE - Total Death CD
    BURZUM - Draugen CD DVD
    BURZUM - Daudi Baldrs LP
    BURZUM - Daudi Baldrs CD
    ZYKLON B - Blood Must Be Shed CD
    ARMAGGEDON - Imperium CD
    EMPEROR - Demo LP
    1349 - Hellfire DOUBLE LP
    DARKTHRONE - Hate Them CD
    BURZUM - Filosofem DOUBLE LP
    BURZUM - Hlidskjalf LP
    BURZUM - Det Som Engang Var DIGI CD
    CAMULOS / AINSHVAL - Split CD
    BURZUM - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss LP
    BURZUM - Det Som Engang Var LP
    NOKTURNAL MORTUM - Weltanschauung CD
    SATYRICON - Now, Diabolical CD

In eBay's e-mail to Ferguson explaining their decision to remove his listing, they write, "eBay doesn't permit sellers to list items that promote or glorify hatred, violence, or racial intolerance. Items that promote organizations with such views are also prohibited.

"eBay will judiciously disallow listings or items that promote or glorify hatred, violence or racial intolerance, or items that promote organizations (such as Nazis, neo-Nazis and Aryan Nation) with such views. This policy also applies to listings that offer shipping to countries where certain items may be illegal."

To review eBay's list of Prohibited, Questionable, and Infringing items, click here. To learn more about why eBay may remove listings, go to this location.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Hmmm....has their rap selection been taken down aswell?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

No way! Im not a fan of black metal (altho i like alot of metal) but FFS! I love the way they let others knowingly scam you on eBay (just check out the mobile phone sellers) but this takes the biscuit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

burn down a church in protest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Me protesting in a burned down church:
    197309556_ae7ca70a5c.jpg

Were you saving that pic for a special occasion?

• Advertisement

It's my user pic on bebo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Came in handy for this thread!

Crazy decision by ebay, as a previous user said, is the rap section taken down?

But you see if it ok to sing about your bitches and drive bys :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Great Decision by Ebay.

I once listened to "Black Metal" and immediately performed a ritual to Satan and killed four young kids as a sacrifice.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Oddly enough, the majority of stuff thats listed there is Burzum stuff.Odd how he doesnt have hateful lyrics isn't it?
    But, I guess its the fact he has a past and all.

I think chirstians wont stop at BM, they'll go for a full take over.Nothing but christian stuff on eBay. Jebay....has a certain ring to it..

I come for the music, I stay for the church burning!

Seriously though, this is mega annoying but I suppose being an American company everything revolves around being a Christian as the fundamentalists are in charge over there. They've removed the genre completely from the metal section (you used to be able to browse everything listed under black metal). A quick search shows that there's still BM for sale but I reckon a lot of them are going to get pulled (probably when you've just about to win a really rare record for really cheap :rolleyes: ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Aye, once they dont start taking merch down, theres no bother.

eBay Europe should be able to do something, as they're based in dublin.
    I'd like to see eBay europe stand up to this, its a crying shame Ive to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

Hmm, a bit of a heavy handed move by ebay. A bit unfair, since as has already been mentioned, rap often contains equally offensive lyrics. Not to mention that it probably has a larger market than that of black metal.

Although how much of it goes for such inflated prices? BM for its size makes ebay money. I'm not suggesting by any means that ebay is crippled without it but I've seen a lot of BM records go for a lot of money on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Timans wrote:
    I once listened to "Black Metal" and immediately performed a ritual to Satan and killed four young kids as a sacrifice.
    The goat kind or the annoying kind?

2 of each.

The Great One likes both.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

this is a bitch of a move by ebay but as anyone tryed to look if there is someone behind this other then ebay.. it would be stange that a company that is making money off a product would just stop without some sort of pressure being put on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

tis a bad idea. Quite retarded in my opinion. free speech is about listening to everyone, though you dont have to take everything on boards

Although ebay is a private company and has no obligation to BM fans considering they obviously do make up a far smaller minority than the people who are offended by BM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Christians up to no good again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

Yeah maybe if they looked into it theyd see most of burzums lyrics are lord of the rings related. Maybe they should stop selling lotr merchandise too :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Don't tempt them.
    Seriously this is the new way Xian fundies are targeting business they are doing the same to a lot of book chains as well.

What books have they been targetting Thaed? I'm guessing Harry Potter considering all the who-ha they make about it promoting witchcraft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Hmm... could make good content for the Late Late

Plank Kenny vs. Xasthur, kvlt!

eoin5 wrote:
    Hmm... could make good content for the Late Late
    Metal vs Kenny in the 'Bout of the Century.

I'm taking bets, Kenny's 3-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Lol. I guess those crazy christians need to learn to quote black metal to serve their own ends. Though I was watching Road to Guantanamo and they used what I'm pretty sure was BM to try to break those British blokes. Haha.

Doesn't affect me as I neither use ebay nor listen to BM. Coolsauce. \m/

Anyway, TBH, if they're working on this principle:
    "In eBay's e-mail to Ferguson explaining their decision to remove his listing, they write, "eBay doesn't permit sellers to list items that promote or glorify hatred, violence, or racial intolerance. Items that promote organizations with such views are also prohibited."

...Then they should be banning a helluva lot more than BM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Anyway, TBH, if they're working on this principle:
    "In eBay's e-mail to Ferguson explaining their decision to remove his listing, they write, "eBay doesn't permit sellers to list items that promote or glorify hatred, violence, or racial intolerance. Items that promote organizations with such views are also prohibited."

...Then they should be banning a helluva lot more than BM.

this is soooo true, there is loads of other stuff they could ban under this statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kivun Sotilas

Perhaps some extreme black metal fans reported it in protest against black metal being on Ebay... :cool: I know so many people that complain about that (it's not underground tape trading anymore boo hoo). I wonder if they will complain now that it is banned too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

John wrote:
    What books have they been targetting Thaed? I'm guessing Harry Potter considering all the who-ha they make about it promoting witchcraft

Basically they have set up thier own publishing houses and promot thier book at service and get their wide spread grass roots numbers to buy the books and then presnet those numbers to the large book retailers and offer thier lines and customer base but only if they don't carry books by certain authors and that they relabel mind body spirit section to Occult and anything that is not cleary christian is to be put there to no offend decent moral christian folk.

This had such an impact that certain publishing houses will be only doing texts on angels from now on and that reprints of books won't be happening by publishers as they won't have the shelf space in the book retailers. New wave christin capitalism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Autobot Killa

**** ebay, no wonder i couldnt find any Les Legions Noires stuff. And since when was censorship one of their policies??? I realise Varg has a few dodgy views but come on! and why the hell are 1349 banned? and Darkthrone, despite being called 'Panzerfaust' there's nothing discriminatory about them, that whole 'true norse aryan black metal' is dead and buried.

Advertisement