Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackie Skelly

Options
  • 15-09-2006 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Anybody heard this 'amazing' *cough* offer where the above gym will give you a reduced membership fee if you are one of the next 20 callers after their radio ad? Even though their radio ad is played 5-6 times a day.
    Talk about hooking in suckers in the belief they are getting a deal.

Loada bollix.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

why dont you ring your friends in the ODCA :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

why dont you ring your friends in the ODCA :rolleyes:

Why dont you post something relating to the post? zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah that'll sort it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Are they giving what they promise or not?

The point was it's misleading advertising....or clever...depends which side of the fence you are on;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

How do you know its misleading?

Do you know for certain they're not honouring the offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sizzler wrote:
    Anybody heard this 'amazing' *cough* offer where the above gym will give you a reduced membership fee if you are one of the next 20 callers after their radio ad? Even though their radio ad is played 5-6 times a day.
    Talk about hooking in suckers in the belief they are getting a deal.

Loada bollix.

So say you undertake a radio advert marketing campaign with a radio station. Obviously the radio station will not tell you when they will play your ad because they are so inept that they don't have any type of advert slot system and just play ads whenever they feel like it. Hence you cannot tell your staff to expect calls at certain predesignated times of the day.

Isn't that how it works sizzler?

So say you undertake a radio advert marketing campaign with a radio station. Obviously the radio station will not tell you when they will play your ad because they are so inept that they don't have any type of advert slot system and just play ads whenever they feel like it. Hence you cannot tell your staff to expect calls at certain predesignated times of the day.

Isn't that how it works sizzler?

Jimmy, explained it all much better than I ever did, that was exactly my point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

It is possible that the advert is true. Say they play the advert 4 times per day (average radio campaign) and they offer the next 20 callers the deal, thats 80 deals sold - that would be a phenomonally successful campaign.

Basically they are giving a number way above any reasonable response rate that can be expected and therefore they get around any legislation there is about the offer.

as to times of the ads all radio stations will provide a list of precise times your advert goes out approx 3 days beforehand. - Alternatively you can pay a premium and have your advert played at a certain time. Some freebies are generally added during the night time programming.

My knowledge is based on working in sunshine radio for 3 years (many moons ago - one advert I sold advertised 4 bed houses in goatstown for £42,950!!!!).

Sunshine Radio :eek: Crikey I remember that....I was a nipper tho;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 scubasteve217

hi, just joined this site...its so entertaining...any way if ya fancy knowing any hidden secrets in relation to gyms...ask me anything..from radio adds/memberships....you ask i will tell...how i know ? ive worked in gyms..no names will be mentioned thou as i know too much...moving to charelsland greystones by the way

• Advertisement

hi, just joined this site...its so entertaining...any way if ya fancy knowing any hidden secrets in relation to gyms...ask me anything..from radio adds/memberships....you ask i will tell...how i know ? ive worked in gyms..no names will be mentioned thou as i know too much...moving to charelsland greystones by the way

Welcome :)

Now how about commenting on the subject on this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm curious to how a gym can determine how many members it can have. i.e. X join in January and nevercome back by March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 maxxxsensation

Well Jimmy, all gyms recruit the most members in January. Jackie Skelly have aover 4000 members in each gym, which is plenty even though the gyms look big. They will still try to get over 350 in January. Of course, the industry standard is that 90% of people who join a gym leave within 3 months. There is a rival to JS in Charlesland, a hotel gym, although I can't remember the name, but on th N11 I think. I'd try that one. At least kids don't do their business in the pool there!!! That place is a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭maireadmarie

There was a piece in the papers about a fortnight ago, which was talking about Jackie Skelly collectors chasing after people who signed up and then stopped paying, probably because they didn't even attend. Various other gym managers were quoted as saying that they would never tie members in for a year as Jackie Skelly does. If you don't give two months notice that you're leaving JS after your contracted period is up, apparently they keep taking the money. Relatives of mine rang several times to get cancellation forms from them, no-one ever rang back; finally they wrote letters of cancellation and registered the letters, well within the time. There has been no response, should be interesting to see what happens after 1st April (when JS opened in Charlesland and 'special offer' membership began for most new members there including these relatives). What happened to the pool and the publicity about it turned these people right off; also there are rules there about wiping down machines after you use them, etc.. (a job, I would have thought, for employees of the gym) but no-one bothered from what they could see, and no-one enforced the rule. It does seem that the gym are on to a good thing, e.g. the minimum of employees in the gym and the office; the manager, they were informed, for instance, is a part-timer; the standard answer to queries about how to get in touch with her was "you can't, she's at a meeting", or "she doesn't work today".

Advertisement