Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Chain Hopping on middle sprockets

Options
  • 16-09-2006 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've a trek 7200fx, one year old.
    By measuring the chain wear as advised on this forum, it looked like a new one was needed.
    The components on the bike are shimano, so I bought a new Shimano IG 70 8sp from chainreactioncycles, and fitted it yesterday.
    Comparing the old and new chain, the old chain was almost one full link longer - is that too much wear?
    The bike is a 24 speed, and the new chain is not engaging properly on the middle 3 sprockets i.e. 4/5/6th, 12/13/14th gear etc, every few revolutions. It sits up on the sprockets before engaging, hopping into place.
    I put back on the old chain and all is fine.
    Is this simply a case of the rear chainset worn, and it needs to be replaced?
    I would have thought that given that the bike only had about 1500 miles done, overwear would have been a problem.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Wou need new sprockets also.

If the old chain was nearly a full link longer then the new one it will wear out the sprockets about 10x faster then a new chain.

Neil.

Advertisement