Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Time Better Spent

Options
  • 16-09-2006 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

This has probably been done t death here but...

Driving Dublin-Galway yesterday arvo we came up behind an "L" driver.
    She was out in the middle of the road doing 40-60kph and really struggling through villages having to stop everwhere unsure if she could get through gaps.

Anyway, the usual lunacy ensued and people started taking idiotic chances in a bid to get by.

What annoyed me was a Garda who too busy doing a speed check failed to notice or care this car had about 35 cars held up behind them at 45kph on a main route!
    Is this because there would be no fine to be had from her as opposed to a speeder and the propaganda states that its the guy doing 110kph to get buy her quickly is the danger ?
    Would her time not be better spent in this case doing something about the real danger on the road ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Apparently, there is no offence of driving too slowly, as I found out when I called Traffic Watch one time because of a similar situation.
    Although I would have thought something like 'driving without due consideration for other road users' (or whatever the correct term is) would cover it

Del

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I don't think a Garda can tell you to speed up or pull you off the road for being under the limit. Unless your L-plater was a first/third provisional driver and had noone with them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

Fey! wrote:
    I don't think a Garda can tell you to speed up

i can see the thread now!!!! the gardai told me to speed up today are they not supposed to be slowing people down :D:D:D

D. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Rob Curran

there's only one instance a gard can tell you to speed up or take you off the road for going too slow and thats on a motorway. The minimum speed on a motorway is 30mph(50kph). Its clearly posted on the big blue signs before entering a motorway, you know the ones that say no vehicles under 50cc etc.

Oh, and as far as I know, there is no speed limit when overtaking as it is deemed that the quicker you overtake and pull back into the correct side of the road the safer it is. Obviously this does not mean that you can bail past 10 cars at 150mph all at once, at that stage it'd be classed as dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

But if I recall from the driving test, there is something called "progress" ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement