Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Hosts file not working! Help!!

Options
  • 16-09-2006 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi!

If I add an entry like -

127.0.0.1 awebsite.com

- to my hosts file (c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc)

awebsite.com still isn't being blocked! I have tried a reboot.

Is there anything else I need to do? Basically I want to block access to awebsite.com on my computer...

Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Hi Aoife,

the hosts file isn't used for blocking sites, generally it's for adding addresses that you may use frequently, or you want to redirect a url to somewhere else (which is what I think you're trying to do).

Try changing to 127.0.0.1 to another IP address (say FM104's ;) ) so that when you type in awebsite.com it *should* redirect to the new IP. You shouldn't have to reboot.

As another alternative, you could use firewall software (if you can edit the hosts file, then someone else can too) and block the site completely...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

Spocker wrote:
    Try changing to 127.0.0.1 to another IP address (say FM104's ;) ) so that when you type in awebsite.com it *should* redirect to the new IP. You shouldn't have to reboot.

Thanks Spocker.

Well ftp and ping goes to the new IP but internet explorer is still going to the old IP!

Is there anything else I can do??

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

After you've typed in the address and the old site still appears, press CTRL+F5, this forces a reload of the page from the website (not from your cache, which is where it could be coming from). Alternatively (?) empty your cache Tools->Internet Options->General Tab->Delete Files

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks Spocker.

Well ftp and ping goes to the new IP but internet explorer is still going to the old IP!

Is there anything else I can do??
    If you're using a proxy server, this is what's causing the problem. IE has a bad habit of ignoring the resolver and asking the proxy server to resolve *all* addresses.

You'll need to go into IE's control panel, change the proxy settings and tell it to bypass the proxy for all addresses that match awebsite.com.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

I have tried removing the cache and there is no proxy... I don't know what's going on!

The reason I want to do this is because I have a blog and my father is reading it. I don't want him to read it (I can sneakily change his hosts file.) He has a dynamic IP so I can't just block him that way... :(

Advertisement