Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fiddle sound post

Options
  • 16-09-2006 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

I brought my fiddle to the local shop to have the strings changed and the pegs loosened slightly (they were new and far too tight.) Anyways when I got it home I realised the sound post is lose and rattling about. I didn't want to bring it back to the shop until I know what needs to be done to set it right. What procedure would a person go through to set the post upright again? I don't want my fiddle damaged any more than it already is!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

I brought my fiddle to the local shop to have the strings changed and the pegs loosened slightly (they were new and far too tight.) Anyways when I got it home I realised the sound post is lose and rattling about. I didn't want to bring it back to the shop until I know what needs to be done to set it right. What procedure would a person go through to set the post upright again? I don't want my fiddle damaged any more than it already is!

First thing I have to say is why you didn't do this maintenance yourself, surely you have been shown how to change strings and maintain your instrument?

Second thing is, not to go back to the same shop. They obviously took off all the strings at the same time, releasing the tension on the sound post allowing it to loosen (not a good idea, change each string one by one). Don't know where you should go, where are you located?

Advertisement