Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pheasant Trapping

• 16-09-2006 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

I was driving up our lane today and noticed 5 pheasants on the lawn. Where i am i cant shoot and wouldnt want to because they're tame enough now they're nice and all but i was thinking about trapping them and releasing them somewhere else more er..... suitable ;) .

The only trap i know of is a pipe with one end covered in chicken wire and you put corn in it and leading up to it the pheasant goes in and cant get out because theres no room to turn around and birds cant walk backwards. The other good thing about this is it will only trap the adults.

If i do manage to trap them ill release them next weekend but how much of a cage do i need for them and how much water/food and what food will i give them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

ok i got no replies so i went ahead and did it

3 sections of 6" pipe each one 2 foot long along the hedge where i see them eating hidden in the hedge with the opening to the front and the covered end in the hedge. I found some poridge oats in the cupboard so thought they'd do and sprinkled a small amount outside the pipe with a little trail up it and a small pile at the end . I'm going to build a hatch now it's going to be fairly big if it doesnt work out for pheasnts i might keep a pet rabbit;) im not sure though.

Will see if it works and take pictures tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

standard pens for pheasant are pretty big (but we usually have a lot in at once)

if you do catch any i'd suggest you relocate them asap rather than keeping them confined for a week in a space that may not be adequate

that's my 2 cents but if the pen or whatever is quite big then i'd say you'll be fine til next week

Are pheasants worth anything? i mean if i sold some to a gun club or anything what would i get for a hen or cock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I cannot remember for certain but they are worth very little, to be honest if you like the birds and don't intend to shoot them i'd leave them be. I'd even encourage them to stay in the area breed and multiply while keeping vermin numbers low.

They're a beautiful bird to look at, would be a nice surprise to see in the garden every now and then.

We get feck all return for the birds we release. I guess vermin numbers are just wiping them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Hi Psitta,

Whatever about capturing wild creatures for relocation purposses is ok, but you might be stepping outside the boundaries of the law by keeping them or selling them.I would strongly advise you to check up the wildlife act so you don't unwittingly land yourself in hot water.:o

Hezz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I've read a few of those 'tales of old poachers' type books - a lot of the stuff is pure BS but still a good read - here's one way they say will catch a pheasant:
    Dig a hole and put in a wine bottle upsidedown - fill around the bottle and then remove it. Fill in some peas to the 'mould' that's left - the pheasant will eat the peas down to the end of the bottle neck and then won't be a ble to get back up :rolleyes: :D;)

My main intention was to reloacte them in the hope that they would breed there and that i could get some sport out of them next year as there isnt that many pheasants around the place.

I wasnt really thinking of selling them for some reason i thought that the birds might be worth €50 each or something and i might have considered it.

Tbh as vegeta says its nice to have them around the place and if the traps dont work out ive no real intention to get them out of the place i do think there might be a fox around but as we live on the edge of the city shooting them is not an option as there are neighbours close enough around the place

Advertisement