Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

max power of headlights

Options
  • 16-09-2006 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

What is the max wattage/power that is allowed for headlights/dips on a normal motor car? Is it defined in law anywhere?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Erm good question, I suspect 80/100w bulbs will get you an NCT fail.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I asked because I am sick of getting blinded by headlights that would put the floodlights in Croke park to shame. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bond-007 wrote:
    I asked because I am sick of getting blinded by headlights that would put the floodlights in Croke park to shame. :mad:

Croke park doesnt have floodlights.

But I get your point, I've seen an awful lot of extremely bright headlights lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

No law in Ireland as to max wattage.

I have passed a few NCTs with 100w/80w.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

There is a maximum limit - can't point you to it at this moment, but I am pretty sure it is 60 watts. Normally, in a lot of cars, their dipped AND hi beam bulbs are compact i.e. - one bulb has two filaments. The dipped filament has (average) 50 watts, while the highbeam is 55 or 60 watts. What makes it brighter is simply the construction of the light housing to focus it 'out and up' as opposed to 'dipped' down.

(Sorry for the next bit Mike65)
    It is also a reason why driving with front fogs on when not needed is illegal. You are in effect doubling the total output power - a lot of proper fog lights are also c. 50 watts.

I'm adding: if you wouldn't mind driving with your fog lights turned off, other drivers would appreciate it for both on-coming and following-behind visibility.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Your typical H4 (combination) bulb is 60/55w alright. Anything brighter is illegal in the UK, hence the "offroad use only" writing on the packagaing.

The NCT test manual makes no mention of brightness, only focus.

Most manufacturers refer to what we would have called "fog lights" as "driving lights" anyway, and the NCT even makes mention of "Aux lamps (long range driving lights)" as well as "fog lamps".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

JHMEG wrote:
    Most manufacturers refer to what we would have called "fog lights" as "driving lights" anyway, and the NCT even makes mention of "Aux lamps (long range driving lights)" as well as "fog lamps".
    I don't know about the "most" in that sentence. Driving lights are, AFAIK, supposed to only come on together with main beam, which is not what most factory fitted fog lights are wired to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Be careful when uprating headlight bulbs. Naturally, more wattage means that a higher current is required to power the light. If your cars wiring is not suitable for the extra current then you are running the risk of overheating the wiring and possibly going on fire. Most cars will take a small increase in wattage, but if you're going to increase it by a bigger margin then you should consider fitting a relay with wiring suitable for the current required.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

JHMEG wrote:

Two different things. You don't see it much these days cos so many cars have foglamps, but there was a time when the easiest way to "pimp your..." was to put spotlights on it. These were usually bolted onto the front bumper somewhere, or sometimes built into the grill.

The difference between these and foglamps is that usually they were wired to the main beam : when you dipped your headlights, these spotlights would switch off. It meant you had a very bright view of the road when there was no-one else around, but didn't cause a hazard to other drivers you met on the road.

A lot safer and more considerate than having your foglamps on all the time.
    I don't know when was the last time I saw a car with spotlights? Anyone??

My point is that they may be fog lamps in the classic definition but they are sold as "driving lamps" by a lot of manufacturers.

My wife's car has "driving lamps", very low down in the bumper, and the beam from them is very low. They do a fantastic job at "filling in" the low areas that the normal dips don't get. Unless an oncoming driver is staring straight at them (dangerous - not looking at road) there is no way they could be blinded by them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

JHMEG wrote:
    Your typical H4 (combination) bulb is 60/55w alright. Anything brighter is illegal in the UK, hence the "offroad use only" writing on the packagaing.

Same here in the US, however no cop is going to stop you for having brighter dims. Though they might if you are like a traveling WWII searchlight.
    You can buy the "offroad" versions in any store, right next to the "onroad" ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

JHMEG wrote:
    My wife's car has "driving lamps", very low down in the bumper, and the beam from them is very low. They do a fantastic job at "filling in" the low areas that the normal dips don't get.
    What's the point of that? There won't be anything in that 2ft of road that you haven't seen already, if you're watching the road.
    JHMEG wrote:
    Unless an oncoming driver is staring straight at them (dangerous - not looking at road) there is no way they could be blinded by them.
    Of course not. Especially if the road is wet. Of if the other driver wears glasses. Or if....

Advertisement