Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aohell

• 16-09-2006 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

well thats what the Taxi drivers call the place anyway.
    Ive had the displeasure of working there , every1 I know has had a job in there at one time or another and all leave because their head is wrecked.
    Wondering if anyone here worked there ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i work there

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

yeah i did my time there too, had to get out of it after just over a year, was a good learning experience but i'm not sorry i left ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I work there also, started the same day as Mossy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Crazy2262

I'm in here nearly as long as magick at this stage and it just wrecks my skull. I've been trying to get out of there and get a new job for ages. It is really good to get experience and everything and I will say I've never met a sound out bunch of ppl to work with (ie on my team and friends) except BUT what does really anoy me, is the way they deal with ppl who are sick. Its one call after another and they wonder why the place has high turnover and sick rates.

Crazy2262 wrote:
    Its one call after another and they wonder why the place has high turnover and sick rates.

It is the same in all call centres sadly. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

What makes me laugh is a lot of people leave half decent jobs to go out there then cant handle it.
    Theres bound to be a lot of stupid people ringing up asking dumb ass questions.
    Such is the nature of the beast:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I started. 4 hours later I quit.

fade2black wrote:
    I started. 4 hours later I quit.
    Really, do tell what happened?

I really didn't want the job in the first place but I was going through a period where other things weren't moving and shaking for me. So, I applied. During the interview I actually spoke the following words -

"It seems people come to AOL as a sort of stop-gap to something better"

I think I genuinely didn't want the job.

Anyway, I started with a few other scobies and we were brought on a tour of the place. I didn't like that for starters, parading the new meat in front of everyone. I was easily distracted though when I saw a pinball machine in the corner...that info was to stand to me when the tour finished and we had to do a sort of treasure hunt for a free lunch. What was the name of the pinball machine...Darkman if I remember correctly. Anyway, got my free lunch, went home, rang them and told them i wouldn't be back. Nothing major really, I just knew I'd be useless at it. I couldn't sell a lifebuoy to a drowning man. (Or convince him to keep using said lifebuoy instead of another nearby)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

No offense to anyone working there, but I'd prefer to work done a mine. The work is more honest.

God love anyone who came out of college with a computer science degree and ended up answering phones in there. I'm pretty sure that the rationale for them leaving Dublin was that there were less jobs in Waterford so they knew workers in Waterford would be more qualified and loyal than their high turnover, Dublin counterparts.

The truth of this seems to be borne out in the fact that in Dublin they hired students, in Waterford they hire graduates. I was looking for a job in Waterford 3/4 years ago. I had a degree with a years experience in web application development with a startup company. I was recommended AOL! I remembered friends of mine working for them in Dublin as students who just didn't give a ****, and they were trying to get me answering phones as a permanent prospect: no bloody way.

Anyway, I know that AOL have other positions other than answering phones, but, and again no offense, I would top myself if I had to do that job day in day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I worked there for 6 months. It was hell and then some.
    The worst part was the way you're timed doing everything.
    Calls, lunch. taking a piss. You can't take 2 minutes to just relax without going into a code. I hated it so much. :mad:

I'm surprised they haven't simply run out of people to hire. Everyone in Waterford under 30 has had a spell there it seems.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i worked there for the training period then packed it in. . . so 3 solid weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I went through the application and interview process and finally got a job offered to me. My uncle was working there at the time and he told me to avoid, after that phone call to me I declined to go there even to try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

been working there going on 4 years now, it hurts my brain, and my soul...... i die inside every time i go there, and i come alive when i leave.

its win-lose in there.

Someone will probably go crazy in there with an Uzi sometime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Crazy2262

fade2black wrote:
    Someone will probably go crazy in there with an Uzi sometime soon.

Tbh if you just took the call I just did, doing that it feels soooooo tempting to do right now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I applied for a job there. I'd been made redundant from my last job and had been unemployed for a few months, so I was starting to get desperate.

I was called for interview, thought it would just be that but then discovered that I had to fill out an application form and that awful multiple choice thing on the computer.

Eventually had the interview which didn't go too well, she asked some pointless questions and I think she could tell that I didn't really want to work there.

Was nevertheless slightly insulted that they didn't offer me a job, but by the time the rejection letter came I was already working in a better place.

You must be the first to be refused a job. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I believe half of Waterford may have worked their from time to time, if you let things get to you and bring things with you when you go out the door at the end of your shift then your in awful trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I worked in the old AOL call centre in East Point, Dublin. I lasted less than 5 months, just before the announcement that they moved totally to Waterford. Again, as others said, your colleagues in any call centre are amongst the soundest people you will ever meet. I felt really bad for those who lost their jobs at the time, it really was a bolt from the blue. With that news, I was lucky to get into the company I still work for when I did. I think I advised Mossy and Bond at the time that their man management wasn't the best.

As Cabaal said, don't take any calls personally or to heart. If you keep thinking doom and gloom, the job will grind you down. Dont take your work home with you. Call centres are not for everyone, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cabaal wrote:
    I believe half of Waterford may have worked their from time to time, if you let things get to you and bring things with you when you go out the door at the end of your shift then your in awful trouble

this is true. some people take the calls in that place personally. those who i know that do are miserable in general because of it. the people that call in dont give a **** about the workers, everyone working there should think the same about the vice versa imo. horrible place to work but it provides an income for a lot of people

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was offered a job a few times there but due to repeat exams, I didnt take them up on the offer. Im a student in WIT and was going to call to see if they had part time work available (just a few hours a week) to get some cash.. After reading this thread im unsure.

Id be good at answering calls, I do it already as a day job (reservation making for family run B&B). Not to sure if I could handle calls of people moaning tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

If you havent got the temprement for the constant shouting and abuse you get on the phones in there then your better off not going near the place

Ive worked in there nearly 5 years now and tbh the comings and going in there are unblieveable hardly know anyone in there now from when i started

Theres no availability at all anymore, just call after call after call, its gotten to ridiculous proportions now, and yet they dont have the staff to deal with it, so its left to whose there to take up the slack

My advice to anyone thinking of getting work in there, dont, plain and simple youll be happier and healthier because of it

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

That's a pretty damning indictment. Is there anyone working there for more than a year that actually likes the place?

btw., be careful what ye post here while you're at work, they might be able ye're IPs... Can you find out someone's IP on boards?

I actually don't mind it but as said it's not for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

I went for an interview there and didn't get it either. I think my answer to the "how long would you work here?" question might have done it. I said 6 months to a year. I was waiting to see if I could get a masters and killin time, thought AOL is handy to get a job in, but seems not that handy! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just looking at their website and there are many vacancies listed- hardly surprising reading the comments and experiences of people here.
    The HR department must be the busiest dept in the place. Sounds like an awful place to work..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I work there as well, actually sitting quite near mossy..the workshy b**tard :p

Its a piss easy job, I don't get many people yelling at me, ye all must be doing something wrong LOL. You see some lads getting worked up alright but in fairness they only get to you if you let em. With me its in one ear and out the other, if they started shouting I just get a laugh off em then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mfitzy wrote:
    Just looking at their website and there are many vacancies listed- hardly surprising reading the comments and experiences of people here.
    The HR department must be the busiest dept in the place. Sounds like an awful place to work..

Its a call center, all call centers have a high turnover of jobs due to the nature of the industry, while some people may hate the place I've seen people leave and come back to the place :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

aye i just like to add that i dont want anyone getting the wrong impression of the people there cause they are the nicest people youll ever meet, because of the pressure cooker environment you can end up forming some close bonds and friendships in the place, its the nature of the business to help each other out etc etc

So while the work is ****e, the work place is quite a different kettle of fish

Shin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement