Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aohell

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cabaal wrote:
    Its a call center, all call centers have a high turnover of jobs due to the nature of the industry, while some people may hate the place I've seen people leave and come back to the place :)

True, depends a lot on the individual and what they prefer in a job.
    I guess it's good experience and 'character building' for people- no doubt this stands to people when they leave and go apply for other jobs elsewhere.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mfitzy wrote:
    True, depends a lot on the individual and what they prefer in a job.
    I guess it's good experience and 'character building' for people- no doubt this stands to people when they leave and go apply for other jobs elsewhere.

I honestly think it would do no harm for everybody to do about 2-3 months in a cell center, everybody would be alot nicer if they did ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Cabaal wrote:
    I honestly think it would do no harm for everybody to do about 2-3 months in a cell center, everybody would be alot nicer if they did ;)

Lads, in fairness call centre jobs where they call you is not that hardcore! Try working in a call centre where you have to call them, and sell something to people over the phone! Where you start off with a list of a thousand people to call, most of whom will tell you **** off, knowing that you'll have to be alert for that 1 in a hundred people who will buy what you're selling *if* your pitch is right and you're on the ball.

That's hard enough to do when you're on a fixed wage, try doing that for commission, and that would put AOL's 'pressure cooker' into perspective!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

whats hardcore about that, you already know they're gonna say **** off so wheres the big deal

try configuring a few wireless connections with an old lad who only speaks urdu and you speak waterfordese :confused:

whats hardcore about that, you already know they're gonna say **** off so wheres the big deal

try configuring a few wireless connections with an old lad who only speaks urdu and you speak waterfordese :confused:

Umm... because if you don't flog X amount of product Y, you don't eat!

And if you think configuring a wireless card over the phone is hard, try getting someone to part with their cash over the phone! (Who may also speak urdu or whatever.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

merlante wrote:
    Umm... because if you don't flog X amount of product Y, you don't eat!

And if you think configuring a wireless card over the phone is hard, try getting someone to part with their cash over the phone! (Who may also speak urdu or whatever.)

sigh never heard such rubbish in all my life, are you telling me you live such a hand to mouth existence that you rely only on your commission wage packet to survive, must be pretty meagre wages then

Get a grip, all call centres are pressure cookers and each department has there own unique problems to deal with

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well Said there, Shinzon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

4 yorkshire men sat round a pub table comes to mind.

Mike.

shinzon wrote:
    sigh never heard such rubbish in all my life, are you telling me you live such a hand to mouth existence that you rely only on your commission wage packet to survive, must be pretty meagre wages then

Get a grip, all call centres are pressure cookers and each department has there own unique problems to deal with

I, personally, have earned my living through telesales for a few months, although not on commission, I had a quota to make. I knew other people who were working on commission, and yes it was hand to mouth. (It wasn't in Ireland.)

If you think that answering phones and solving people's problems is as pressurised or as stressful as having to call the people yourself, and sell them stuff in order so that you can eat, then you just haven't thought about it very hard!

For example:
    1 - You have to sell a certain amount of stuff to stay in a job/eat.
    2 - A much higher percentage of the calls are abusive, because the calls are unsolicited.
    3 - When you get tired and stop concentrating, it's you that loses, not the customer.
    4 - You have to physically dial a thousand numbers a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Crazy2262

merlante wrote:
    I, personally, have earned my living through telesales for a few months, although not on commission, I had a quota to make. I knew other people who were working on commission, and yes it was hand to mouth. (It wasn't in Ireland.)

If you think that answering phones and solving people's problems is as pressurised or as stressful as having to call the people yourself, and sell them stuff in order so that you can eat, then you just haven't thought about it very hard!

For example:
    1 - You have to sell a certain amount of stuff to stay in a job/eat.
    2 - A much higher percentage of the calls are abusive, because the calls are unsolicited.
    3 - When you get tired and stop concentrating, it's you that loses, not the customer.
    4 - You have to physically dial a thousand numbers a day.

Well if its that bad do you want any of us to hand ur CV into HR here in AOL for ya. lol ;-)

• Advertisement

This was all in the past. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

I worked there for 4 months about 3 years ago doing sales and billing. Awful awful job, an absolute cvnt of a supervisor/team leader, but met some really sound people there that I unfortunetly lost touch with.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

All i can say is over 6 *beep* years.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭r@t

had interview today for tech support- anyone know what thats like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it is fabulous

edit: really it is

edit edit: i have been known to lie from time to time

seriously, it isnt too bad if you dont let things get to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

r@t
    had interview today for tech support- anyone know what thats like?

well if u can survive the fisrt month

1 basically they will remote (listen to your calls) you like crazy to see how ur going.

2 Then you will have your first PDM (Put Down Meeting) with your sup who will nit pick on why u where 2 mins over ur break or why u took an extra long sh*t on ur time out

3 Then your thrown back to the phones talking to ppl who have no clue about computers / talking to irate customers / Apologising why BT havent fixed their line

magick wrote:
    1 basically they will remote (listen to your calls) you like crazy to see how ur going.

can see why they would do this tbh
    magick wrote:
    2 Then you will have your first PDM (Put Down Meeting) with your sup who will nit pick on why u where 2 mins over ur break or why u took an extra long sh*t on ur time out

havent had one of these for about 9 months now but it wasnt anything like that. it was a listen to a recorded call and give feedback thing
    magick wrote:
    3 Then your thrown back to the phones talking to ppl who have no clue about computers / talking to irate customers / Apologising why BT havent fixed their line

thrown back on the phone? that's what you're paid to do funnily enough, take calls. and yes you will get people who don't know what they are doing, you will get irates and you will have to explain bt's latest **** up. it is the same for every other ISP. in Ireland exchange BT with Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Crazy2262

4+ Years and its been like that since day one. Some if the Supes I had were sound out, but there were 2 that who actually made me feel physical sick each day I had to come to work with the amount of stress they put me under.

It wasn't the Tech Support Job itself, I didn't mind that side of the job, it was the "PDMs" (Put Down Meetings) which they were about why can't I have a lower calltime or why can't I answer the phone like this.... The list was endless, but I had a 80% fix rate 90% of the time and my quality socres were allways above 90%. But that still wasn't enough for the 2 incompent usless supervisers and Most ppl who had them will know exactly how I'm talking about too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

it is what it is.....a sales job, if you dont make targets you dont earn, if you do you can pull out a LOT

if you dont like it, like ANY other job, you leave, simple as.....its a call-centre, they are ALL the same, crappy, but as long as it pays the bills who really cares

starting training on monday- this job couldnt be that bad- the pay is better that minimum wage and you get to sit on your arse all day. i was a waiter in my previous job - where i had to run aroud all day for **** money . plus worse than customers shouting at you the ower who happens to be the chef is screaming at you for doing things the way he just told you to- and that now you should do it another way oh and then you should f*** off.

• Advertisement

very true r@t, the hospitality business is much worse. what department are you going to be training in. if tech then it wont be too bad

yep it'll be tech- they tried to offer me customer service first but i shot that offer down straight away. anyway tech support is more dough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

working there 3 years :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SeanieM

I now haf all de names of de persons that haf told me a lode of crap & bullshyte wen i foned up oldehell about prblems wid mi isp!!!:) :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

r@t wrote:
    yep it'll be tech- they tried to offer me customer service first but i shot that offer down straight away. anyway tech support is more dough.

Base payment in tech is higher then rest of the departments, however if your good in cancellations you can walk away with alot more then tech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

More chances to sell stuff in Cust Service than tech, Some CS agents earn way more than tech based on sales of other services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

SeanieM wrote:
    I now haf all de names of de persons that haf told me a lode of crap & bullshyte wen i foned up oldehell about prblems wid mi isp!!!:) :)

what?:eek:

peepsbates wrote:
    what?:eek:

Another poor chap that was let down by the Irish education system. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

SeanieM wrote:

if you talked to them in txt speak...then I am not surprised:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

merlante wrote:
    Another poor chap that was let down by the Irish education system. :(
    i thought txt speak as frowned upon?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement