Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Records!!!

Options
  • 16-09-2006 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have been wondering if anyne could help me out on a question. All the outdoor world records in Athletics have been set on a 400 metre track, apart from the marathon. Is it possible for example that the mile could be run faster on a single stretch of road or track, with no curves under normal conditions, wind factor of say 0 or +1 max. Basicaly a straight line from A-B. Surely this would be faster than the current record. The mile is obviously only one discipline. Would it be possible in all the other races which require at least one lap of the track (400, 800, 5000 etc etc).

Just a thought!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

It would help people to run faster, but the longer you go the less effect it has I'd say. If you look at indoor records, people run faster on a 300m track than they do on a 200m track.

Incidentally, up to around the 1970s, there were substantial differences between 200m records that had been set on a straight 200m track and those set on a curved track.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Unless they build a mile long track of the same type of stuff as regular 400m tracks they would probably loose any benifit though due to the cushioning of the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

The world mile record for an over 40 (and incidentally, the only sub 4minute mile by an over 40) was set on an indoor track (200m) by our own Eamonn Coghlan.

Advertisement