Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for young drivers

Options
  • 16-09-2006 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I'm 18 with provisional, 0 experience. The cheapest insurance I could get is 2200 from 123.ie and the same amount from brittoninsurance. A while ago I was quoted 2000 from wrightinsurance, but now getting 2600 from them.

In the newspapers there are ads from quinn-direct and they say that for 18 y.o. with full licence on 1.8 Ford Mondeo would be 1500. I called them and they quoted me 3700. :eek: (1L Nissan micra), which means that their ad is BS.
    Can anybody give me advice where can i get insured under 2000. I hear stories sometimes that young drivers get insurance well below 2K...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Paul_D wrote:
    I'm 18 with provisional, 0 experience.
    Paul_D wrote:
    In the newspapers there are ads from quinn-direct and they say that for 18 y.o. with full licence on 1.8 Ford Mondeo would be 1500.

there's the reason why your quote from quinn was higher than you expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Paul_D wrote:
    I hear stories sometimes that young drivers get insurance well below 2K...

"Young" driver is anyone under 25 really. There's a huge difference between getting insured as an 18 year old and getting insured as a 24 year old.

€2200 is a brilliant quote for someone your age who has never driven before and is getting insured on their own (not on parents') insurance). At 22 with certificate for 10 lessons, I was quoted €1500 to drive under my parents' insurance.

PS: What company did you get the quote from :) I must also check out wrightinsurance, never heard of them before. I thought at 24 with a provisional, I only had Quinn, Hibernian, AXA and Britton to choose from.

Edit: I see wright are a broker. Cheapest quote €2,000 , I'm currently paying €1600. Brokers are so ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm with Quinn on a 1.8 VVC (154BHP I think) and last year I was paying 1800 fully comp with quinn. This year im paying 1200TPFT (Car aint worth much tbh)

I'm 20 with 2 years NCB. A tip: RING THEM. The online system quoted me 600more than when I rang them (Search my threads to a few months back)

I thought quinn wouldnt insure me on anything over a 1.6, lucky for me I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's weird, they normally won't touch anyone under 25 on anything over 110bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

im 20 with a pugeot 206 1.4L. i got it while 19 and i was on a provis licence, I got quoted about 2500 with quinn but when i provided a letter sayin i "done" 25 lessons they gave me a years ncb str8 away. got insured for 1600. and thats on my own policy TPFT. was the same quote wether the car was anything from 1L to 1.5L and a 1.6L was 2300. thats with a car valued at 6000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

quinn doesn’t want to insure me online. I rang them and got 3700, which is the highest quote i ever seen.

i got it while 19 and i was on a provis licence, I got quoted about 2500 with quinn but when i provided a letter sayin i "done" 25 lessons they gave me a years ncb str8 away. got insured for 1600. and thats on my own policy TPFT.

2500 for 1.4 is good. it's not 3.7K. maybe i'm talking to them in wrongish way...

well to be honest my address is in the midland and my ocupation is one of the more favorable ones in the eyes of the insurers so that helped. and my car is parke "off road in a garage at night"

I got quoted 6K on a 1.2 clio with one company and i actualy laughed at the woman on the other end of the phone when she said it:

Woman: The best we can do for you is 6200
    Me: Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, are you for real?
    W: yes thats the quote im getting.
    M: No thanks, i'll go with quinn, Ha Ha Ha Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm on my mam's insurance on my car.

19 - full licence
    44 - full licnece (1 yr NCB) (23 yrs driving)

1.0 Corsa value €5k

Insurance €1317.50 with Hibernian. Cheapest quote through the broker. There was €1310 from Britton but my parents were paying and are pig headed as regards having to deal with their broker

That was in March, figures change at the beginning of each month in response to the previous month's claims. It's an actuarial risk thing

Really you're doing very well to get 3.7k on a Micra with no experience and a provisional.

That Quinn Quote on the paper is for an 18 yr old who passed their test more than 1 yr ago has 1 yr NCB and most likely living in Cavan where Quinn are based. It states that quotes will vary according to region

I wouldn't touch Quinn with a bargepole!!! Horror stories I've heard.....

3.7K is not a good price. youd be mad paying that sort of money for insurence. If i had to pay that i just wouldnt bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

ninty9er wrote:
    That Quinn Quote on the paper is for an 18 yr old who passed their test more than 1 yr ago has 1 yr NCB and most likely living in Cavan where Quinn are based. It states that quotes will vary according to region

I wouldn't touch Quinn with a bargepole!!! Horror stories I've heard.....

quinn does not quote me online for some reason, regardless any details i input. what kind of stories your heard about quinn?

• Advertisement

Paul_D wrote:
    quinn does not quote me online for some reason, regardless any details i input. what kind of stories your heard about quinn?

In the unlikely event that you do have an accident, Quinn will use every possible excuse to delay the payout in the hope you'll give up in the end. A girl at work was insured with them for a year, but her mother (who's a broker)moved her to the next cheapest company the following year because they had given so much grief to numerous clients

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'm trying to get quotes for a 1.3 Fiesta (it's only 60bhp though), and from the online ones things haven't looked so good outside of Quinn (who I'm a bit weary about) - I got €1800 from them, but over €2,500 from the other two I've tried so far - insure.ie and 123.ie

I'm 21, only got my provisional this summer, and I'm a 4th year college student (which means I have to put the big bad "unemployed" in the quote form :( ).

I've also noticed with Quinn Direct that they put the quote up by €600-800 if I put in any car worth €2,000 or less - even if I put in €2,001 it goes down! And is it true they won't insure first provisional drivers not driving supervised? Couldn't find anything specific about it in their policy...

I'm trying to get quotes for a 1.3 Fiesta (it's only 60bhp though), and from the online ones things haven't looked so good outside of Quinn (who I'm a bit weary about) - I got €1800 from them, but over €2,500 from the other two I've tried so far - insure.ie and 123.ie

I'm 21, only got my provisional this summer, and I'm a 4th year college student (which means I have to put the big bad "unemployed" in the quote form :( ).

I've also noticed with Quinn Direct that they put the quote up by €600-800 if I put in any car worth €2,000 or less - even if I put in €2,001 it goes down! And is it true they won't insure first provisional drivers not driving supervised? Couldn't find anything specific about it in their policy...

TryBritton Insurance. The nice lady in the office will review your online quote and email you with a cheaper one within 14 days

Also if you hgave a part-time job you are not lying by putting that in occupation...studnet sends alarm bells ringing. Broker told my mam that anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

just bought a an opel corsa viva 1.2 XE (5 door) a month ago and tried most quotes online and was getting nothing under 3100 unless i did that ignition course. anyway i rang quinn and got it for 2,300 which seemed to be the best. im a first year provisional driver and its my own insurance happy enough with that but i reckon i could have got it cheaper but i was in a hurry to get it done :) theres a company in either laois or offaly called national direct that are supposed to be cheap for young drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Stephen wrote:
    That's weird, they normally won't touch anyone under 25 on anything over 110bhp.

WHERE did you get this from???

I paid IR£3,000 to be insured as a named driver when I was 19.

I wouldn't be moaning about €2,000. I'm paying the same and I'm 24 with 5 years NCB!! :rolleyes:

OP you mention your occupation being a favourable one, at least that's something cause it's another reason I get done by insurance companies so I'd grin and bear it and enjoy the driving - you'll have paid for it!!

ninty9er wrote:
    TryBritton Insurance. The nice lady in the office will review your online quote and email you with a cheaper one within 14 days
    Just tried them - €2,600! :eek:

And I'm not working part-time - I won't really have the time to work going into 4th year, though I saved a lot over the summer and I got a loan.

And I'm not working part-time - I won't really have the time to work going into 4th year, though I saved a lot over the summer and I got a loan.

wait for the email. should be round 2300

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

i just bought a '03 3dr punto 1.2 for 5400 and been driving a 1.4 puegot 1.4 as a name driver for a year now insured with quinn for 1400 and they have quoted me the same for this car as the only dri er so im happy with that axa quited me 2800 and the guy has how that sounded i told him it was double what quinn offered me. iv filled out loads of forms on the net and the cheapest i got offered was 1800 so i guess its just luck

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

they quoted me that aswell

it was me who said im in a favorable ocupation not the OP.
    The ignition coarse is worth doing if it will give you a good quote coz its piss easy i hear.

• Advertisement

My online quote was €2,700

got this email today
    We thank you for your submission for a Car Insurance Quotation and after reviewing your details manually we are now able to offer you the following quotation: 2244.35 Euro based on this months rates. Terms and Conditions Apply

This quote is subject to you completing a one day driving course. Please ring Kathryn on 074 9721304 to book the course.

Alternatively if you do not wish to do a one day course the next cheapest quote we can get for you would be:***************2384.09 Euro

Payment Details:

Cheque/Bank Draft

Postal Order

Credit Card

Direct Debit Monthly

Should you wish to proceed with this quote please forward me your full address and I will post the relevant form out to you today.

If you require any further information regarding your quote contact Kathryn on 074 97 21304 or 1850 33 22 00

Not too shabby - is their policy any better than Quinn's, and do you know if they insure you driving on your own with a provisional? Don't plan on doing that any time soon, but you know the fookin waiting lists for the test these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 malcoolm

how long are you waiting 4 test?

can any1 answer question above? about insuring car with provi. licence. ?

rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Paul_D wrote:
    quinn doesn’t want to insure me online. I rang them and got 3700, which is the highest quote i ever seen.

I payed 4609 for third party on a 1.4 focus 4 years ago :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

my friends 18 and he got insured from insure.ie.driving a 04 1.2 opel corsa and he is only paying around 1200. and he had no previous experience but has a full licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

Paul_D wrote:
    In the newspapers there are ads from quinn-direct and they say that for 18 y.o. with full licence on 1.8 Ford Mondeo would be 1500. I called them and they quoted me 3700. :eek: (1L Nissan micra), which means that their ad is BS.

Forgive me if I can't follow your logic here.

You don't have a full licence. Why would you expect to get a quote comparable to someone who does have a full licence?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

quinn direct are a pack of jokers ive spend most of the morning on to them and have just fired off an angry email, i updated my car from a 98 punto to a 01brava my insurance went up 400 euro on my original quote for this year, but if i put my details in online it goes down 200 euro and they wont match the F**king thing i had the same problem when i renewed after one year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

quinn direct are a pack of jokers ive spend most of the morning on to them and have just fired off an angry email, i updated my car from a 98 punto to a 01brava my insurance went up 400 euro on my original quote for this year, but if i put my details in online it goes down 200 euro and they wont match the F**king thing i had the same problem when i renewed after one year

I'd look further into that to be honest, I went from a 98 punto 1.2 to a 99 focus 1.6 and my premium didnt change at all. I'm still on a provisonal as well. Oh ya I'm with Quinn as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Why dont you cancel your current policy & take out the online one at the cheaper price.
    Just make sure there is no gap in cover. It wouls make more sense for Quinn to match the online quote rather than having to cancel one policy & set up another for the exact same person.
    When your renewal date is up, get a broker to ring around for you & also check on websites yourself & shop around.
    My mate paid £3,900 with Quinn bought 5 yrs ago when he was 22 on a 1.1 car, prov licence, so todays prices are much better.
    Car insurance has dropped significantly over the years, rumour has it, it will not go much lower & once one company starts increasing prices, the rest will follow :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement