Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recordings of authors reading their works

Options
  • 16-09-2006 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

I recently got this CD of James Joyce reading a chapter each from Ulysses and Finnegans Wake and I've also got a great CD of Seamus Heaney reading his poetry while accompanied by Liam O'Flynn on the uileann pipe. Both are a delight to listen to.

Anyone got any other good recordings of authors reading their works?

I was listening to the best of Rattlebag on Thursday and they had a fantastic archive recording of Sylvia Plath reading Lady Lazurus. She had such an attention-demanding voice. I've only been able to find cassettes of her reading her works, does anyone know if there's any CDs available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

John wrote:
    I recently got this CD of James Joyce reading a chapter each from Ulysses and Finnegans Wake and I've also got a great CD of Seamus Heaney reading his poetry while accompanied by Liam O'Flynn on the uileann pipe. Both are a delight to listen to.

Anyone got any other good recordings of authors reading their works?

I was listening to the best of Rattlebag on Thursday and they had a fantastic archive recording of Sylvia Plath reading Lady Lazurus. She had such an attention-demanding voice. I've only been able to find cassettes of her reading her works, does anyone know if there's any CDs available?
    I've an MP3 of Plath reading 'Daddy' - powerful stuff, she's nearly in tears at the end, poor thing.

Where did you get the CD of Joyce? I always thought it was pretty strange how he had a very strong 'culchie' (sorry) accent for someone born into a middle-class family living in Dublin.

I know it's hardly high-literature, but I have a CD of Lynn Truss reading an abridged 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves'. Also Bill Bryson reading his own work is pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I got the Joyce CD from a store in Berlin called Staalplaat but it's not on their site for mail order. It's out of print so I'm not sure if it's easy to find.

EDIT: Aquarius Records have the Joyce CD. Can't link directly to it, you'll have to search from their site directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Been trying to get my hands on some readings by Frank O'Hara. One of my lecturers played 'The Day Lady Died' and 'Ave Maria' as read by O'Hara when I was in second year, and actually hearing the poet read his work puts a whole different spin on the piece.

Advertisement