Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film/TV work experience

• 16-09-2006 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

We've got work experience coming up alot sooner that I had thought and I have nothing sorted out. Would I be a complete chancer to be looking for something on a film set or a TV studio? Has anybody done it before or does anybody know if a film is being shot anywhere? I haven't a clue how it works, do you have to do something in your area or what? Help me! :eek: :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

You could try RTÉ. A frind of mine did it two years ago, he said he loved it. I'm doing LCVP this year (5th year) so I get to do a week of Work Experience, and that's where I'll be applying when we get the dates.
    I don't think you'd be a "chancer" to go for it.

But, fogive me if this is a stupid question or an insult to Cork, do RTÉ have studios in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭corkarcher

:eek: :eek: :eek: yes they do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

To get into RTÉ (in Dublin anyway) you need to go through your Transition Year head, don't bother emailing them directly as they'll just tell you this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

yeah I'd say RTÉ is very difficult to get into, especially as short notice, but no harm, in giving it a try anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 clickclick

you have to apply to RTÉ and it is basically a lottery to get a place. the transition year ahead of us applied but we were offered their places the year after !!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭wba88

tip:my m8 went to setanta and all he did was sort videos out he sed it was **** and would never go back!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I went to RTE for transition year last year. Our school won two places, its really hard to get a place otherwise..

Anyway, it was amazing, I stayed until 11pm every night nearly, If you do get to go, go to the sound and lighting departments... I would have got to work on the late late show, but i had to leave friday evening :(

Ok thanks everybody for d info... God i dunno what I'd be doing in Cork though they have a major studios, anybody know what they shoot there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 clickclick

i think nationwide is based at the cork studios..................... and thats pretty much it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

fook dat, im applyin for my "work experience" der too

:D

• Advertisement

what in cork??

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

Hey, I am in Transition year and i got into RTE through my year head. We had to do an essay competition and the best two got the places. I am in the television department and i am just wondering if anybody has done it before, if so what did you do for the week and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

film Shooting in Galway from April 26 to May 5th

send cv to oneshotworld@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

PS I dont work for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 roxykid07

Hey, I am in Transition year and i got into RTE through my year head. We had to do an essay competition and the best two got the places. I am in the television department and i am just wondering if anybody has done it before, if so what did you do for the week and so on.

Youve no idea how jealous I am :( what did you do for the week or when are you doing it?

I started on the 8th of March and finished it the following Friday. It was really good. We got to see loads of the television sets such as podge and rodge, fair city, the late late show and the den. We also go to meet Ryan Tubridy and he talked to us for about half an hour on how he became a presenter and how he started off and he also gave us some tips on how we can too!:D On the wednesday morning the 16 of us students on work experience caught a bus into dublin city where we got a tour of the National Concert Hall where the RTE symphony were rehearsing and we got to listen to them for about half an hour before returning to RTE for lunch where we sat along side loads of famous people like Marty Wheelan, Ryan Tubridy, Brian Ormond, Brian Dobsin, Sharon Ni Bheoloin, Pat kenny and Padyy Mckenna and lots more that I cant think of right now. Diring the week we also got a chance to get a tour of all over RTE to see the television department, the radio department and all the other departments too. It was so cool! haa :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 roxykid07

_Pure_Mule_ ; Im holding back the tears. Literally.

It sucks! :mad: I actually would kill for work experience there, id go during the summer and everything!!

Can i just askk.. what school are you in? Or if you dont wana say where bouts is it ? :confused:
    Dont answer if you dont wana :p

( Pardon me being nosy)

st brendans school. its in birr county offaly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I know this is in the TY forum, but I hope this is the right place to ask - does anyone know if RTE take on people studying media in college for work experience or is it strictly a limited number of TY students only?

Im not sure to be honest, having done work experience there it is a very professional set up and i would imagine they are strict on who they take in. Im sure if you sent in a cv and a cover letter explaining why you want to go there they will get back to you with a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 meadhbhxx3

does anybody know if RTE do LCVP work experience cause i would really love to do it and all i can see is about transition year and if they do does anyone know how to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

meadhbhxx3 wrote: »
    does anybody know if RTE do LCVP work experience cause i would really love to do it and all i can see is about transition year and if they do does anyone know how to apply?
    A friend of mine emailed rte for LCVP and they said they didn't do it, trying to get work experience in the film and media area is close to impossible unless you either know someone or some other catch. I certainly emailed alot of places who either declined or never replied

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

thetalker wrote: »
    A friend of mine emailed rte for LCVP and they said they didn't do it, trying to get work experience in the film and media area is close to impossible unless you either know someone or some other catch. I certainly emailed alot of places who either declined or never replied

Try Community Radio stations.

Advertisement