Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring equipment that dies

Options
  • 16-09-2006 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hello there folks just a quickie, I hired a mini digger yesterday and about 5 hours into it the hydraulic fluid started pissing out of it. The fluid is coming out through a hydraulic arm joint thing underneath, the one that pulls the tracks together. What would have caused this?I definitely didnt go over any rocks as I'm on grass. Im a bit worried now its gonna seep out completely over the weekend.
    I'm just wondering where I stand with the hire company. Is a remortgage on the cards?!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

I'd be looking for a refund and not worrying about them. Sounds like a mechanical failure. Once it is not obvious damage caused by you they should be only too happy to replace it.
    Probably best not to keep using it as this could cause damage to it.
    Any chance it is a loose pipe that could be tightened. Probably nothing you can do till Monday anyway,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Its probably just a seal gone , i'm not really sure of where its leaking though from " a hydraulic arm joint thing underneath" ...pic maybe ?
    You'd usually just have to pay for damage caused by doing something like turning it over etc

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

As already said its probably just a seal gone or possibly a hydraulic pipe has burst . maybe from wearing against the frame of the machine.The most important thing is report it to the hire company as soon as you can and not to run the machine until the oil has been topped up.
    Its very unlikely you will be charged for the failure as it sounds like wear and tear. Most hire companies don't maintain their equipment that well anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

Ta for the replies. went and checked it today, the stuff has seeped out completely and nothings working. No digital camera so no pic sorry, its your standard hydraulic joint, bright steel disappearing into a chamber pushing fluid.Its this circular ring where it enters that the stuff sprays out from. Anyway, I'll get onto em first thing monday morn. I was just worried theyd have some angle to screw me on.Ouch!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

awishawash wrote:
    its your standard hydraulic joint, bright steel disappearing into a chamber pushing fluid.Its this circular ring where it enters that the stuff sprays out from.
    Thats a hydraulic cylinder ,the rod seal has failed. the only problem you may have here is if the machine has been started with no oil in the hydraulic system, it can cause irreprable damage to the hydraulic pump and they may try and say you didn't stop the machine in time. I'm not sure where they'll stand on this. Best bet is play dumb and say it happened really quickly (which it probably did anyway)

• Advertisement
Advertisement