Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FDisk on a laptop with XP

• 16-09-2006 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    How the hell do I get onto FDisk on a laptop with a damaged XP install that does not have a floppy drive

I want to completely delete the partitions and start fresh, but I don't know how to get into FDisk as traditionally I did it with a WinME boot floppy, but theres no floppy drive on the laptop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

From a bootable CD - make one or download one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bootdisk.com is your friend here I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Tap the F8 key when the computer starts and select Command Prompt from the menu. If you have the Windows XP CD, just use that as you can delete the partition during the setup process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Karoma wrote:
    From a bootable CD - make one or download one.

If I copy the stuff from the WinME boot floppy and burn it onto a CD, should that work?

Do I need to burn the CD as a special type? On Nero do I need to change anything?

JohnCleary wrote:
    If I copy the stuff from the WinME boot floppy and burn it onto a CD, should that work?

Do I need to burn the CD as a special type? On Nero do I need to change anything?
    You need to make it bootable, try bootdisk.com you might get an ISO image there, then all you have to do is open that in Nero and click burn!

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:
    You need to make it bootable, try bootdisk.com you might get an ISO image there, then all you have to do is open that in Nero and click burn!

They want $4, I wouldnt have a problem giving it except ive no credit card or paypal

Ok go to http://www.ptdd.com/sdisk.zip save then open the iso file in the ZIP file in Nero and burn the image.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Other options,
    Linux boot disk
    FreeDOS Bootable ISO
    Bootable USB key HP have a nice little utility for this.
    If your laptop had a standard Network Card you could use PXE, but there are so many out there that it's hard to be sure it would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

the handiest way would be to just boot from the windows xp cd, then press "D" to delete partition on the screen where you choose where to install windows to...

/edit
    ah, didn't see that Ruu has already mentioned that...

tman wrote:
    the handiest way would be to just boot from the windows xp cd, then press "D" to delete partition on the screen where you choose where to install windows to...

/edit
    ah, didn't see that Ruu has already mentioned that...

Morning guys, got it in the end by doing the above... Forgot that when selecting partitions to install on, you can also delete etc.

Thanks a million for the help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement