Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into business with your other half

Options
  • 16-09-2006 7:44pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever do this? Any tips on how to not let it impact your relationship?

I want to go into business with my babe but we are both worried about consequences. Aside from the fact I will want to leap on her every day in the office, we're worried about personality clashes!

Any tips/experiences? Oh it will be an office based environment and we live together. (its a long term relationship!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Make it a rule to leave work issues / problems at work.

If your both mature and comfortable with each other it shouldn't really be a problem, however I have seen couples who wouldn't have the most solid relationship completely fall apart, particular when business gets tight.

best of luck!

Cheers
    Fintan

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SmoothyG

I think it would be important to outline each others strengths and define clearly which areas of the biz you each will have the final say on. although obviously you will both input into everything it might help in later decisions where there is a disagreement. How not to bring it home is anyboies guess, as a husband or boyfriend part of you duty to your relationship is to listen to her unload all her guff from the office when whe gets home. If you are the guff giver (for lack of better wording) she will have to go else where for this.

So i really think it will depend heavily on the strength of you relationship and on how often you think you are prone to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

As much fun as it would be leaping on your girl in work, I think you both should make it clear that as soon as you guys enter for work. Obviously the leaping part is taken for granted most of the time ;). You are there for buissness and not relationship. Like don't make it wierd but it would be important part of keep your business seperate.

Also make sure you talk before hand about how to handle disagreements.
    Maybe positive and negative lists or somthing but it has to be an inpersonal and constructive system. Disgreements will always follow people from work to home so keeping it as personally uninvolved as possible would be a great help.

It must be an exciting thing to be considering.

Advertisement