Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Little help plz folks :)

Options
  • 16-09-2006 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I picked up a new mother board today along with several other upgrades that are a wee bit overdue for myself..

Anyhow at the moment i have 2 maxtor 120g/80g drives which after searching the maxtor site inside out dont appear to be sata enabled (6Y120LO) and 2 cd/dvd drives, one being a dvd burner, now I could take this down to 1 in honesty although in all honesty im not bothered i would like to keep both but thats neither here nor there.

Ive ran in to the problem that my drives are fine, i like them and have far to much stuff on them to even start thinking about getting new drive that is sata enabled but the fact remains that all the motherboard upgrades only have 1 x Ultra DMA 133/100/66/33 cable slot..

This leaves me with a bit of a dillemma in that i have looked at multiple board upon board and it seems most now (ive not upgraded in over 2 and a bit years) only have 1 of those connectors. All 4 of my drives at the moment are connected through these slots.

Now basically im wondering is there any type of card i can buy that could let me support these or any type of connecters i can buy at all that would act as a conversion of some sort so that I was able to keep all 4, my own fault really for being so impulsive but went out to buy a new gfx card and came back with a full system upgrade..

The new stuff i bought are:

Asus M2N-E Motherboard
    Asus radeon 1600XT gfx card
    and a amd 64 3800+ chip
    1gb pc6000 ram

basically what are my options here? ive always built my own computers and this will be the same, but after being a bit of a bum for a couple of years i havent done much on that side and it seems alot has changed unfortunately.. upgrading from a x800pro and abit an7 board with 2gb ram.. So yes i want to continue

Is there some sort of card or any type of device where i could just continue to use my normal ATA connectors, new hard drives i just dont even want to picture getting and i dont want to lose my dvd burner either as it cost me a small fortune a while back!

What can i do exactly as at the moment im rather annoyed with myself and im looking for options over the net as to what can help me solve this (mainly komplett), and you guys have always been fantastic for me in the past with suggestions as to how to fix these things so i figured this was a good a place as any to start with..

Any help please folks is appreciated as im in dire need of help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

and i just realised that my subbed lil part up top of forum is 3 years out of date also and i clicked the wrong link instead of computers and technology!

I apologise for that and ill post the thread there instead, mod feel free to delete at your will..

Advertisement