Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardiner St

Options
  • 16-09-2006 9:38pm

Is this street really that bad? It seems to have a pretty negative rep. I viewed a flat there a while back and didn't like the area at all but how dodgy is it really? A friend is thinking of living there and I don't think it's a good place to live, but I've never heard of it being awful. I haven't heard much at all really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

full of scumbags and asylum seekers. sorry to be blunt but its very rough, the gov practically turned it into a ghetto in the last 10yrs chucking every antisocial missfit and people who didnt know any better or have a choice there. the few people i know whove got mugged in the city got mugged there, compleate kip. avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jesus, if you think it's bad now, you should have seen it 20 years ago - a wasteland.

• Thought it might be like that. It didn't look so bad when I went but it was during the day and it was full of tourists from the many hostels there. Are all the Custom Hall apartments dodgy? The girl in the flat I went to see swore she never had any problems at all and I asked 4 or 5 times. I guess she was lucky or never went out at night or an outright liar. I'll be trying to talk my friend out of moving there then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

full of scumbags and asylum seekers. sorry to be blunt but its very rough, the gov practically turned it into a ghetto in the last 10yrs chucking every antisocial missfit and people who didnt know any better or have a choice there. the few people i know whove got mugged in the city got mugged there, compleate kip. avoid

Complete tripe.

I've been living in the area for over 2 years and have never been mugged, never gotten into a fight, never been started on, never been offered drugs.. I find it baffling as to why it has such a bad reputation. It may have been bad in the past, but it's not like that anymore.

OP - If you're going to be worried about living near Gardiner Street, then God help you if you're going to live anywhere else. There are much.. much worse places in Dublin.

K.

• Where would you consider the worst areas of Dublin to be? It's actually my friend who is thinking of living there. She is a Muslim and wears a headscarf, and has had hassle before so I don't think a rough area would be any good for her. I went myself to see a flat a while back and I just didn't like the look of the street. It was very grey and drab looking, there were council flats opposite the apartment block, a park which looked really run down and it's close to the bus and train stations which is never a good sign really. There are a lot of places in Dublin I'd rather live in personally but I was just wondering if Gardiner St was actually dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Re the council flats.. No matter where you are in the city centre, you're never very far from a set of flats. They're everwhere, even in the poshest areas like Ballsbridge.

Dublin City Centre is home to people of many different cultures and backgrounds these days.
    Everyone will have different ideas as to where is 'rough'. Personally speaking, I'd steer clear of backstreets moreso than main streets.

The worst parts of Dublin IMO are some dodgy areas of the suburbs, and not the City Centre. In the City Centre, you're less likely to be singled out for being 'different'. More likely that if anything were to happen, it would be because you seem an easy target, or you're a woman walking alone etc..

K

(I didn't mean to sound so aggressive in my previous post btw, but it just gets on my nerves when people automatically assume areas to be rough because of their history, or because there's litter on the ground.)

Advertisement