Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test in an auto?

Options
  • 16-09-2006 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what the situation is with doing your test in an automatic? Do you just apply as normal and turn up on the day or is there a seperate form?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Think you just turn up on the day - you'll only be licensed to drive an automatic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You do the test as normal but the licence you recieve will have a number '78' on it to indicate that you will be restricted to driving vehicles in the category concerned with automatic transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I don't 100% understand this. Are you still provisionally licensed to drive manuals afterwards? It's seems silly that one day you can drive either, and the day you pass your test you can only drive auto's from then on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

zuutroy wrote:
    I don't 100% understand this. Are you still provisionally licensed to drive manuals afterwards? It's seems silly that one day you can drive either, and the day you pass your test you can only drive auto's from then on.

That's the least of the absurdities in the Irish testing regime.

But, yes, it is that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I assume your on a provisional if your driving a manual. t's the missus' sister and she wont listen to reason and just do a few lesson in a manual for the test.

She's driving an auto micra and wont even consider getting in a car any bigger, so I dread to think whats going to happen when shes restricted to 1 -1.2 autos next time shes buying a car.(i assume shes going to stick with 2nd hand but may not have a choice and have to buy new)

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote:
    Good question zuutroy - AFAIK once you pass a test in a given category, you cannot recieve a provisional licence for that category afterwards but I don't know about manual v. auto within the same category.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you learn to drive properly with an instructor you are not likely to have learned in an Auto....i.e. you are only fit to drive auto if you pass in an Auto because you are not physically capable of driving a manual competently.

There are many others who aren't either, but I agree with this rule as it at least reduces the risk of incident on the roads, even if it prevents 1 incident a century it's still worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Has there being any response to hill starts with electonic handbrakes?

I am quite certain in england an electronic handbrake equipped car cannot be used for the driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In most cases I've heard of people doing their test in automatics, they've been given a full licence without restrictions.

Stark wrote:
    In most cases I've heard of people doing their test in automatics, they've been given a full licence without restrictions.

Totally untrue Stark. It will have a code number indicating that it is restricted. For example Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann drivers are taught to drive using automatics. If they pass the test, they are restricted to driving auto buses. This makes it difficult if they wish to seek employment with a private operator. Many job adverts re driving require a "full, unrestricted licence" in the category concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

My wife got a full unrestricted licence after doing her test in auto, i got the restriction on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

zuutroy wrote:

In theory as part of the driving test you must demonstrate how you work the gears and clutch on the car as part of driving the car. An auto box does this for you so you cannot pass a test on something you were not tested on.

The rediculous thing is though that if you pass your test in a manual you are not restricted from driving an automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    The rediculous thing is though that if you pass your test in a manual you are not restricted from driving an automatic.

In fairness there is a greater skill involved in driving a manual car. An automatic is just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Totally untrue Stark. It will have a code number indicating that it is restricted. For example Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann drivers are taught to drive using automatics. If they pass the test, they are restricted to driving auto buses. This makes it difficult if they wish to seek employment with a private operator. Many job adverts re driving require a "full, unrestricted licence" in the category concerned.
    Where exactly is this code? I did my test in my automatic Mirage and can't see any mention of a restriction on the full license?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's the number 78 printed on the far right of your licence on the same line as the expiry date

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ninty9er wrote:
    It's the number 78 printed on the far right of your licence on the same line as the expiry date
    Just rechecked and nope.. no "78" or anything else aside from the date. So I've a full unrestricted license then I guess! :D

Advertisement