Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism/Newspapers forum

Options
  • 17-09-2006 4:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I hope I'm correct in saying there isn't a forum for journalism and newspapers/media discussion.

I think it could be an interesting forum for journalists and people interested in journalism to discuss journalism. Also it would be interesting to discuss how different newspapers and news services (Sky, BBC, RTE) portray different events.

From time to time you get threads, usually in after hours, like "Did you see the front page of the Herald".

A possible line of discussion would be: Didn't Tom Humphries offer great coverage of GAA this year through his journalism but isn't his attitude to rugby very peculiar. Anyone any ideas?

Or something like, Doesn't the Daily Mail after great gimmics like free DAvid attenborough dvds.

Just an idea, anyone else see interest in this or would you think it's covered in different fora already?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What about News/Media under Soc? Sometimes (in AH) we just leave certain news stories for a different take on the issue, other times they are moved. I think more threads need to be moved there in future though, it can't hurt to give it more traffic. If you reckon there needs to be another forum though, no harm in suggesting under the Forums forum under Sys. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Are you suggesting a different forum from news/media which will deal only with print media? The news/media section covers print media already, not just television and internet based news stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

No, I wasn't thinking of a area for discussing the news. But more so how it's reported. Is news/media used for such discussion? EDIT - Yeah the charter seems to imply so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Oh no I just realised I put this in feedback rather than forums. :(:(:(:(:o:o:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

No, I wasn't thinking of a area for discussing the news. But more so how it's reported. Is news/media used for such discussion?
    Yes, news / media is the forum you're looking for. There are often threads on how certain organisations report the news differently to others. Go to the news/media forum and have a browse through the thread topics in the forum. I remember posting in a thread there a while ago dealing with how different media sources such as sky news / BBC / rte were reporting on the conflict between Israel and hezbollah. There was debate about who was being biased/ who was giving it more airtime / who was mis-leading / which reporters had agendas and so on.

Anything media / news related is a go in that forum. Just read the charter first and then post away or start a new thread on any news/media topic you like.

p.s. the mod in that forum is fairly decent, so once you keep on topic you shouldn't have any trouble bringing up media related topics once you stay within the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I can't speak for the moderators of that forum but I'm quite sure they would have no problem about discussing how news/media is reported. The below is from the charter so I guess its fine. Hope that helps.
    This forum is designed to cover the following:
    Discussing News topics and events, their relevance/importance, and the knock on effects they will have. Also up for discussion is media ethics/good practices, and issues related to PR, Advertising, Journalism and other general media.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement