Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration raid cripples Ga. town

Options
  • 17-09-2006 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,214042,00.html
    Interesting story this, a town of about 1000 had a illegal immigrant sweep out. Unfortunatly the town is now pissed off because there is nobody left. It seems the town was built around a chicken canning plant ( I guess what you'd call a company town). Of 600 of hte 8000 employed there were immigrants. So the police rounded up a few hundred and rest fled. And now all the business in town are reporting an 80% drop in business.

At Sucursal Salina No. 2, a store stocked with Mexican fruit sodas and snacks, cashier Alberto Gonzalez said Wednesday that the owner may shutter the place. By midday, Gonzalez has had only six customers. Normally, he would see 100.

The B&S convenience store, owned by Keith and Regan Slater, the mayor's son and grandson, has lost about 80 percent of its business.

Now parts of Gerogia has seen some of the most servere immigrations laws being implemented includng fines for tohse employing and servicing 'illegals', do I reckon this chicken plant owner will get fined ? nope cos it it would probably bankrupt him.

Details how the Cride chicken plant that employed all those illegla immmgrants 'co-operated with the Immigration services.
    "We have been working with ICE for 12 weeks or longer," said David Purtle, president of Crider, Inc. He said Crider, Inc. and ICE have been eliminating fraudulent documentation on alien workers and that the raid was "the final part" of the investigation.
    http://www.forest-blade.com/news/2006/0906/Front_Page/001.html

The plant employed about 900 people -- and 600 of them were (apparently) illegal immigrants. The poultry plant has limped along with half its normal workforce. Crider increased its starting wages by $1 an hour to help recruit new workers.

Stacie Bell, 23, started work canning chicken at Crider a week ago. She said the pay, $7.75 an hour, led her to leave her $5.60-an-hour job as a Wal-Mart cashier in nearby Statesboro. Still, Bell said she felt bad about the raids.

http://breakingnews.redstate.com/blogs/dana_r_pico/2006/sep/16/the_immigration_conundrum_part_3

The guy here makes a good point
    Uh hello? The only serious economic impact that I saw was that people got a better wage when they all left

But I think this shows you can't just kick them all like most redstaters would like, so the best solution is
    working conditions, working conditions, working conditions., althought I don't have a huge problem with ecomic immigration, and if slightly better working conditions and pay for everyone means slighly less illegal immigrants come im happy with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure what your point is, but as I see it people are paying more for their chicken now while other chickens rot in the fields because there's nobody to harvest them.

Advertisement