Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Store

Options
  • 17-09-2006 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone out there installed a Thermal Store cyclinder (vented pressurised system) and are there any suppliers in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Wigster wrote:
    Hi all,

Has anyone out there installed a Thermal Store cyclinder (vented pressurised system) and are there any suppliers in Ireland.

Vented pressurised? are u sure.

Looked at site http://www.rayotec.com/htm/underfloor_heating/triple-tube/boilers.htm
    Hot water is provided at 5 GPM at 500C at 3-bar pressure (standard thermal store at 70ºC cylinder temperature) from the top multi coil.

500c: thats hot, man:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

ircoha,

I am in the process of instaling a pressurised cyclinder. I like the idea of a thermal store as it does not need all of the safety devices as in an unvented pressurised system. Have a look at this website.

http://www.heatweb.com/

Wigster wrote:
    ircoha,

I am in the process of instaling a pressurised cyclinder. I like the idea of a thermal store as it does not need all of the safety devices as in an unvented pressurised system. Have a look at this website.

http://www.heatweb.com/

I have just ordered one of their thermal stores, expecting delivery in four weeks or so, watch this space;)

dolanbaker,

What size cyclinder did you buy? Is delivery to Ireland costly?

Thanks guys,
    had a look at the website.
    Must confess all new to me and I dont u/std the detail, which I would like to so would appreciate any help, as I think would some other members.

The overall concept is as follows, correct me if wrong.

1 U heat an insulated, vented, unpressurised cylinder say with a gas boiler.
    [I presume the heating is direct, as opposed to indirect]

2 The cylinder has a coil in it which is used to feed a plate heat exchanger [PHE] and the rising main passes through the PHE to give hot water.
    The heat source for the PHE is the hot water in the cylinder, so u could say the system is the reverse of the ordinary indirect cylinder system.

The main advantage seems to be that in the UK u need "approval" of some sort to install a pressurised HW cylinder so this gets over that problem.

One that confuses me is how do u intend getting the pressure?

There seem to be three main options
    a: use the rising main as is.
    b: pressurise the rising main. **
    c: pressurise a feed from the usual cold water tank in the attic.

** AFAIK, at least in Fingal CoCo, pressurising the rising main is not permitted.

Would be nice to know exactly what yee are ordering

• Advertisement

Wigster wrote:
    dolanbaker,

What size cyclinder did you buy? Is delivery to Ireland costly?
    I am getting a 250 litre unit with 160Kw plate heat exchanger, UFH mixer and hot water circulator pump.

£1350 inc delivery (aint cheap :( just hope its worth it)

ircoha

the pressure is dependant on your rising main. Its no different to any pressurised system so a pumped reserve is required. I still have not decided if I will go with this or not. I like the idea if the system not under pressure.

Wigster wrote:
    ircoha

the pressure is dependant on your rising main. okay so if ur rising main is off u have no hot water/ here in Fingal we have regular water outages so it would not work for meIts no different to any pressurised system its very different to my pressurised system so a pumped reserve is required.
    I dont understand what you mean by a pumped reserve

I still have not decided if I will go with this or not. I like the idea if the system not under pressure.
    See above

If one does not have enough pressure in their well/ mains a reserve tank with a pump supplying water at 3 bar to your pressurised cylinder!

ircoha wrote:
    Thanks guys,
    had a look at the website.
    Must confess all new to me and I dont u/std the detail, which I would like to so would appreciate any help, as I think would some other members.

The overall concept is as follows, correct me if wrong.

1 U heat an insulated, vented, unpressurised cylinder say with a gas boiler.
    [I presume the heating is direct, as opposed to indirect] yes it's direct, but you have the option of a coil for solid fuel or other boiler type.

2 The cylinder has a coil in it which is used to feed a plate heat exchanger [PHE] and the rising main passes through the PHE to give hot water.
    The heat source for the PHE is the hot water in the cylinder, so u could say the system is the reverse of the ordinary indirect cylinder system.

The main advantage seems to be that in the UK u need "approval" of some sort to install a pressurised HW cylinder so this gets over that problem.yes that's correct, with the heatbank you have no closed & pressurised unvented loops.

One that confuses me is how do u intend getting the pressure?

There seem to be three main options
    a: use the rising main as is. you can all in what is called a cold water accumulator , it doesn't raise the pressure but maintains the flow until empty, I am getting one of these for my system
    b: pressurise the rising main. **
    c: pressurise a feed from the usual cold water tank in the attic.

** AFAIK, at least in Fingal CoCo, pressurising the rising main is not permitted.

Would be nice to know exactly what yee are ordering

• Advertisement
Advertisement