Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metal parents

• 17-09-2006 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I know - I know - It'll probably get moved but.......

I'm getting sick of talking to other parents that I have absolutley nothing in common with - besides the actual kid - So me and the hubby are looking for other "metal parents" out there - I hate doing this as it seems needy and whatnot but it's gotta be done.

Our 'little angel' (devil more like) is a 15 mnth old girl.

PM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

heh other metal parents - well I suppose I could be classed as that, aswell as mental :) But I was a bold boy in my youth, so my little girl is not so little 11 year old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

heh - i know it's all kinda sad but believe me when you've had yet another conversation with some one you having nothing in common with and they're looking at you like you might eat your child at any given moment (do tattoos, red hair and black clothes mean that??!?) you start wondering.....do others like us exist?

true, true we have mates who don't have kids, and loads of 'em but sometimes you wanna go somewhere with your kid and not have pressure to drink ten cans but still have an adult conversation.

plus us living so rural means there's few and far between a) kids her age and b) people like us - gotta pimp ourselves out there. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Funny how so called Alternate lifestyles susposedly dont inculde kids. Stupid really.
    There are Alt parents site and groups out there but they tend to be in the usa and the uk more then over here. LJ land has a lot of them.
    Funny how some parents judge other paents and by extension thir kids cos Mammy/Daddy are goths/metalers.

yeah you should the parents/teachers and children at my daughter school when I come up :)

THe daughter bounds up - going all "daddy" :) and then they see who she is talking about - me being all grim and lovely

I still get a kick out of the look of pure shock when her teachers meet me for the first time (since myself and the mother dont live together any more)

Aren't the sideways stares when your waiting to pick up you off spring just sooo musing ?

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    Aren't the sideways stares when your waiting to pick up you off spring just sooo musing ?

Indeed - always feel like the cops are going to come screeching around because of the "big hairy bloke hanging outside in the trench coat"

That said she goes to school in Tallaght so you can imagine so of the classy abuse some eejits try to level at me.

Think the best so far is "how tall is your coat".....I was speechless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Dreamcrusher

Well to tell truth, i think its a bit sad.
    Theres nothing worse than seeing some 30yr old in a trench coat and leather trousers desperately clinging to thier youth. "Im still hip! im still with it!".
    Seriously, you can still love your metal/goth/whatever music, but you dont have to dress and look like a central bank teenager.
    People who still dress like a mini rocker at the age of 30, should deservedly be laughed at.

Theres nothing worse than seeing some 30yr old in a trench coat and leather trousers desperately clinging to thier youth. "Im still hip! im still with it!".
    Seriously, you can still love your metal/goth/whatever music, but you dont have to dress and look like a central bank teenager.
    People who still dress like a mini rocker at the age of 30, should deservedly be laughed at.

I never said anything about leather trousers :)

But if I was hip and with it, I am sure the burberry hat, shirt, white chinos and "just reach puberty pencil thin 'tache" would look really well on me :)

or I wanted to sit with the kids at the central bank, then maybe I should rip my clothes a tad, get millions of piercings, and wear immensely and oversized baggy trousers that cover my feet and yet at the same time, appear to be falling off me

ye fecking troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Dreamcrusher

Ph3n0m wrote:

But if I was hip and with it, I am sure the burberry hat, shirt, white chinos and "just reach puberty pencil thin 'tache" would look really well on me :)

No, but dressing like an adult might ;)

well luckily one of us here is an adult - and as such I choose to dress in the way I am comfortable - normally a studded thong, turned inside out :) and of course the infamous "leather trench coat" (that as an adult I can afford to buy, damn this disposable income)...now wheres me jeans and boots and stereotypical tshirt

Oh and the myspace link underneath - that be me and the sprog in atleast one pic :) (aw bless)

• Advertisement

Charming and what a wonderful example of tolerance Dreamcrusher will be to thier kids . :rolleyes:

Personally I dread to hink my kids will grow up to be that closed minded and be into 'dance and rap' music /shudders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

To be honest, i would hardly consider dressing like a metal music fan, or a punk, or a goth at any age to be an attempt to be hip, or with it.

Rather i would hope it was an attempt by that person to simply dress how they want to dress.

And i will also tack on my opinion here that laughing at anyone because of how the dress is well, immature really. There's much better things to laugh about out there. ;)

Dragan wrote:
    There's much better things to laugh about out there.

yup like people driving moped whilst balancing their helmet on their heads :)
    drunken people ordering chinese food in a chipper
    drunken people ordering food in a pub (that doesnt serve food) at 11pm :)
    me
    people falling
    and cartoons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Drummo

That has to be one of the stupidest things I read on these boards in a long time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's satisfying to see there might still be a chance of some kids out there growing up with enough self-confidence instilled by their parents that they are above the mediocre level of those who feel the need to look, think and act like everyone else, lest some sheep point and laugh.

Kudos to you all :)

Doctor J wrote:
    It's satisfying to see there might still be a chance of some kids out there growing up with enough self-confidence instilled by their parents that they are above the mediocre level of those who feel the need to look, think and act like everyone else, lest some sheep point and laugh.

Kudos to you all :)

what is this Kudos you speak of and can I trade against me butter vouchers (ah the life of the dole years ago)

anywho - give you an example - whilst my wee girl is not into her metal (like her old man), she does like black, watching buffy, charmed, etc. She chose to wear black into school and got asked (more then once) - "are you meant to be a goth"!!!!!!

Seriously!!! Good christ, I nearly cried. She wore black - and that makes her a goth, she listens to McFly for christs sake! (oops better not admit that I brought her to McFly last year - which was funny for all the right reasons)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Careful now, next thing you know she'll be thinking for herself!!! :eek: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kivun Sotilas

I can't imagine in 5 years when I turn 30 that I will all of a sudden start dressing differently. Why would anyone dress in a way that they are not comfortable with just to fit into other peoples ideas of what an "adult" should dress like...........

I think in general people should dress a bit more tastefully than they do but it has nothing to do with age.

I can't imagine in 5 years when I turn 30 that I will all of a sudden start dressing differently. Why would anyone dress in a way that they are not comfortable with just to fit into other peoples ideas of what an "adult" should dress like...........

I think in general people should dress a bit more tastefully than they do but it has nothing to do with age.

what you mean eventually I will have to get rid of the multiple nipple rings :) only kidding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I love your "Me and friend pic" on myspace Ph3n0m :D

Oh and the clothes you wear doesnt make any different to your maturity or personality..... they're just clothes...

• Advertisement

Dr.Poca wrote:
    I love your "Me and friend pic" on myspace Ph3n0m :D.

hehehe, I'm reminded of that eternal quote

"what about all the good things Hitler did" - and then I realised I just saw it on a tshirt

does that mean that i'll ditch the big boots and stop dyeing my hair? eep! dear lord god in heaven no!
    i only have 2 and a half years left!!

(that half year is even more important now)

does that mean that i'll ditch the big boots and stop dyeing my hair? eep! dear lord god in heaven no!
    i only have 2 and a half years left!!

(that half year is even more important now)

nah keep the boots in case the sprog starts to out grow ya

Ph3n0m wrote:
    nah keep the boots in case the sprog starts to out grow ya

and i'm sure she will seeing as i'm 5'3" and her daddy is 6'

waz it say on yer lip on myspace? my blindness is flaring up today......

and i'm sure she will seeing as i'm 5'3" and her daddy is 6'

waz it say on yer lip on myspace? my blindness is flaring up today......

my lip? er nothing...now I am really scared

Ph3n0m wrote:
    my lip? er nothing...now I am really scared

see...i said my blindness was flaring up today - i thought it said something on your lip......

........nevermind

see...i said my blindness was flaring up today - i thought it said something on your lip......

........nevermind

heh speaking of blindness, when you pick up your sprog make sure its not a bag of flour and if it is, check your oven - that might not have been a cake you made :)

oh the hilarity of me

hardy har har :D

...now, what was i cooking for dinner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Ph3n0m wrote:

Oh and the myspace link underneath - that be me and the sprog in atleast one pic :) (aw bless)

Knew I recognised ye from somewhere!!

• Advertisement

Dathai wrote:
    Knew I recognised ye from somewhere!!

and where am I known from?

Advertisement