Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Broadband sooo slow!

• 17-09-2006 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey,

Whats with eircom broadband, it seems fine for downloading material but then loading a web page or any kind it takes ages to load, ive tested my speed on irishisptest.com and it seems fine, download around 2.7mbs and upload around 300 kbs,, i have no clue whats going on. even when im not downloading anything, its still the same

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Static on your line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭xbox360dublin

what do you mean by static?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Sounds like a DNS problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Like your line quality has been wrecked by nearby building work maybe?

The DNS problem is more likely though.

how do i solve that problem?

downloads are flying at 360kbs down, at first i thought it was because i was downloading something at the time the web browsing was slow, so i stopped it, and its still the same?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

downloads are flying at 360kbs down, at first i thought it was because i was downloading something at the time the web browsing was slow, so i stopped it, and its still the same?

Have you done the usual stuff like looking for spyware and running a virus scan because if you are downloading stuff quickly the actual speed is not the problem.

Have you any settings on your pc from another isp? have you a firewall runing? Have you tried another browser?

Normally it should work by getting the DNS settings by DHCP, so check that your router and your PC does not have hardcoded DNS settings. If that doesn't work, go to eircom.net's broadband support area and get the IP addresses of the DNS servers and hardcode those settings on your PC. If that doesn't work, the problem is not with DNS. But I would be very surprised if that isn't the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Blaster99 wrote:
    Normally it should work by getting the DNS settings by DHCP, so check that your router and your PC does not have hardcoded DNS settings. If that doesn't work, go to eircom.net's broadband support area and get the IP addresses of the DNS servers and hardcode those settings on your PC. If that doesn't work, the problem is not with DNS. But I would be very surprised if that isn't the problem.
    You can test whether it's a DNS problem much more eaily that that - just try to open another page on the same site. Your PC caches DNS results, so if it's a DNS problem, the second page will load without a delay, because the address will come from the cache, not from the DNS server.

Another simple test is to open a DOS propt and ping the server address - if the ping response takes more than 3 or 4 seconds, you might have a DNS problem. If the response is pretty instantaneous, it's not a DNS problem.

Even easier is to whip up nslookup and see what the response times are like.

thanks guys, i will try all of these when i get home!

actually set up on wireless now through a usb dongle, but still the same issue! same speeds when downloading, just browsing is a pain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

actually set up on wireless now through a usb dongle, but still the same issue! same speeds when downloading, just browsing is a pain!
    Same PC or different PC? Have you tried a different browser to see if its a browser problm?

same pc, no change, i used to have NTL broadband and no issue, i rang their customer support but they told me just to delete my cookies and it should be fine ???

in work now so i might give that a go when i go home!

hey guys, got it sorted, DNS problem, i manually entered in the dns from the eircom.net page and now things are flying!! thanks for all your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimogr

Where did you enter the DNS settings? I'm having a similar problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

and i think i might have the same.... so where????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

From windows help:
    To configure TCP/IP to use DNS

Open Network and Dial-up Connections.
    Right-click the network connection you want to configure, and then click Properties.
    On the General tab (for a local area connection) or the Networking tab (all other connections), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
    If you want to obtain DNS server addresses from a DHCP server, click Obtain DNS server address automatically.
    If you want to manually configure DNS server addresses, click Use the following DNS server addresses, and in Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server, type the preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server IP addresses.
    To configure advanced DNS properties, click Advanced, click the DNS tab, and do one or more of the following:
    To configure an additional DNS server IP address:
    Under DNS server addresses, in order of use, click Add.
    In DNS server, type the IP address of the DNS server, and then click Add.
    To modify the resolution behavior for unqualified DNS names, do the following:
    To resolve an unqualified name by appending the primary DNS suffix and the DNS suffix of each connection (if configured), click Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes. If you also want to search the parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix up to the second level domain, select the Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix check box.
    To resolve an unqualified name by appending the suffixes from a list of configured suffixes, click Append these DNS suffixes (in order), and then click Add to add suffixes to the list.
    To configure a connection-specific DNS suffix (local area connection only), type the DNS suffix in DNS suffix for this connection.
    To modify DNS dynamic update behavior (local area connection only), do the following:
    To use a DNS dynamic update to register the IP addresses of this connection and the primary domain name of the computer, select the Register this connection's addresses in DNS check box. This option is enabled by default. The primary domain name of the computer is the primary DNS suffix appended to the computer name and can be viewed as the full computer name on the Network Identification tab (available in System in Control Panel).
    To use a DNS dynamic update to register the IP addresses and the connection-specific domain name of this connection, select the Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration check box. This option is disabled by default. The connection-specific domain name of this connection is the DNS suffix for this connection appended to the computer name.
    Notes

To open Network and Dial-up Connections, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Network and Dial-up Connections.
    You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure.
    To completely disable DNS dynamic update for all names on the computer, clear the Register this connection's addresses in DNS and Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration check boxes for all connections in Network and Dial-up Connections.

Advertisement