Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

tech2 wrote: »
    Shanaglish Overbridge
    DSC02121.jpg

Shanaglish overbridge now
    DSC02605.jpg

Tubber-Crusheen overbridge
    DSC02598.jpg

Soutbound ramp off Gort GSJ
    DSC02600.jpg

One of the roundabouts for the dumbell layout at the Gort GSJ
    DSC02602.jpg

The overbridge for the Gort interchange(not open to traffic)
    DSC02601.jpg

Curraderra overbridge
    DSC02596.jpg

Section of mainline above the Ballysheedy underpass(open to local traffic)
    DSC02599.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

This scheme is rapidly catching up with all the schemes that have been going for years. This one is still only 10 months old and progress is ridiculously fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

This scheme is rapidly catching up with all the schemes that have been going for years. This one is still only 10 months old and progress is ridiculously fast.

I was in the shop in Crusheen the other day, i heard a few of the locals talking to some of the lads working on it. I heard them say that they should be done by this time next year and that if the weather continues dry for the next few weeks they will make up serious time.

Good to hear :D I hope Races 2010 will be the target for this, getting Gort bypassed for that would be fantastic.

glineli wrote: »
    I was in the shop in Crusheen the other day, i heard a few of the locals talking to some of the lads working on it. I heard them say that they should be done by this time next year and that if the weather continues dry for the next few weeks they will make up serious time.

Lets hope the weather stays ok!

They are going about it the right way leaving no gaps and not focusing on the one section. Every bit of it is at the same level of progress. Both the overbridges for the GSJ's are nearly complete and the others have all started.

I wonder when the first overbridge will open to traffic? Should be before the new year anyway. I wont put my money on the tubber to gort one as it seems the realignment will take a while.

No CBM has been laid down on any part of the scheme yet.

• Advertisement

I think once one overpass opens they will all open in quick sucession. My money is on the one at Lahadran, for no particular reason.

Yes all the project seems to be at the same pace so once they start laying down CBM you would imagine they would be able to go from start to finish with no delay.

Its great progress considering a year ago it wasnt even fenced off!!!

glineli wrote: »
    I think once one overpass opens they will all open in quick sucession. My money is on the one at Lahadran, for no particular reason.

I agree that they will most of them will open in a short space of time when they do. I wont guess any cause I got it totally wrong with the tubber to gort overbridge. The actual structure has been complete for 5 months now!
    Yes all the project seems to be at the same pace so once they start laying down CBM you would imagine they would be able to go from start to finish with no delay.

I'm hopeful that no part of the scheme has an issue like drainage or boggy land.
    Its great progress considering a year ago it wasnt even fenced off!!!

They must want the motorway more than we do! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Is building it on the edge of the burren a huge advantage? Very few rivers to worry about and plenty of rock?

I know a lad working the Nenagh bypass / M7 who was hoping to get work on this road, looks like there will be very little left by the time the Nenagh / M7 opens.

Is building it on the edge of the burren a huge advantage? Very few rivers to worry about and plenty of rock?

I know a lad working the Nenagh bypass / M7 who was hoping to get work on this road, looks like there will be very little left by the time the Nenagh / M7 opens.

Theres two river bridges on the scheme.

There will still be a lot of work on the road from Janurary when Nenagh to Limerick opens. G-C might open sometime between July and September so a good few months of work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 crusheenman

I am living quite near these works, the guys are doing a great job - when the weather is good they really fly throuht it, if we had normal weather in ireland they would be near finished!!! I hope they get the M18/17 Tuam job:) will this be starting soon??

• Advertisement

MotteDai wrote: »
    The public consultaancy has started around the Tuam area for the M17 bit, but its hard to see where they'll get the money. They still havent chosen a route around milltown so i would believe design stage hasent even started..

Isnt it Public-private partnership? I.e the contractor puts up some of the money and make it back with toll money? Yes - Correct me if im worng. Had a look last night, the contractor on the M18 is Wills Bros Ltd, a good west of ireland company i believe. Spoke to the Gernal Foreman in Corrib Oil, Gort he said 3 weeks of good weather and the Bulk earthworks will be complete. He also said they have there own Tarmac Plant so there will be no delay with the tar.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Isnt it Public-private partnership? I.e the contractor puts up some of the money and make it back with toll money? Yes - Correct me if im worng. Had a look last night, the contractor on the M18 is Wills Bros Ltd, a good west of ireland company i believe. Spoke to the Gernal Foreman in Corrib Oil, Gort he said 3 weeks of good weather and the Bulk earthworks will be complete. He also said they have there own Tarmac Plant so there will be no delay with the tar.:D:D

That would be fantastic. What's everyones opinion on completion if CBM and tarring starts? Lining and signage erection would be the main items to complete after that presumeably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

After bulk earthworks comes the 804. That is assuming that the drainage is in place. Both CBM and HDM/TSCS are very weather dependant in respect of rain and temperature. Production rates in winter drop off very sharply in comparison with the summer given weather and daylight.

Drainage has been on going for the last 6 months, i have seen the lorry loads of pipes and man holes off loading. Is there a bonis if they finish ahead of time? I thought construction work would slow down due to the recession i.e less resourses make the job last and ride the recessionery times?? Any opinions...?

The Early Completion Bonuses were removed some time ago, so they get no benefit for finishing early.

Unless this group are looking to impress by going quickly incase they get the M17/18 contract or anything else.

Mid to end of 2010 I guess, before the contract is signed.

It will suit Wills Down to the ground if the get it then... I'm sure they wish it was that easy! :D

Hopefully the contractor will repair the street surface in Gort passed through today and it is as bad as ever, due to construction traffic id say. i heard the contractors building the road from Galway to Dublin have had to repair some heavly used roads durning construction..

Yeah they were told to repair all the roads around Athenry because they destroyed them. They still havent repaired them properly.

I have been told by some of the lads that work for Wills that they are looking for a project in Derry after the M18. If Crusheen to Gort goes well it will have a very positive impact on the result of this project in the North. This is from a lot of lads that work for Wills and are from Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Hopefully the contractor will repair the street surface in Gort passed through today and it is as bad as ever, due to construction traffic id say. i heard the contractors building the road from Galway to Dublin have had to repair some heavly used roads durning construction..

I wouldn't be sure that it is the responsibility of the contractor to repair the streets in the town. Whether it is or not, most towns to be bypassed don't get fixed until well after the bypass is fully open - though in fairness they usually do a good job afterwards. I'm thinking of Claremorris and Swinford in Mayo as examples. Claremorris was brutal until the bypass was built - and although it took them a good while after the bypass to fully finish the re-surfacing, it looks and drives well now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The street in Gort was crap long before the M18 work started.

I remember the day before the Arklow bypass opened, there was loads of work on the old N11 through the town, as it was coming from the central govt/nra budget where it'd be from the udc budget the day after.
    The fact there were tailbacks back to Jack whites didn't seem to matter to the powers that be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gort is crap because they dug it up for water or sewers, then they were supposed to dig it up again for the other of water/sewers ...a Regional Water Scheme in 2007 .

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/WaterServices/CapitalSchemes/TheFile,5923,en.pdf

Needless to say we are still waiting . By 2013 , maybe ??

http://www.gortchamber.com/new/133-Public-Meetings-Reports.html

Till then the road will be crap.

And they are digging gort up at the moment aswell, its a joke!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You know that Frank Fahey has been fighting for the Gort Regional Water Scheme since at least 1983 . I would like to take this opportunity to thank Frank for his tireless campaigning on the issue . The interests of the people of Gort could not be in better hands.

That gives you an idea of how soon they will fix the road in Gort, m'kay ?!? .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Gort is crap because they dug it up for water or sewers, then they were supposed to dig it up again for the other of water/sewers ...a Regional Water Scheme in 2007 .

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/WaterServices/CapitalSchemes/TheFile,5923,en.pdf

Needless to say we are still waiting . By 2013 , maybe ??

http://www.gortchamber.com/new/133-Public-Meetings-Reports.html

Till then the road will be crap.

They were also doing digging for the MAN:
    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/B13384AE-0F6C-41F4-9CF8-217F44C39C78/0/GORNR.pdf

As to why street digging can't be cordinated so it all happens at the one time in this country is beyond me, perhaps it would require abit of forward planning :rolleyes:

They should ask Wills to price this while they are winding down on the bypass, the may do it for good value?? Make hay when the sun shines and all the, construction work could never be cheap as it is now..??

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

The street in Gort was crap long before the M18 work started.

I remember the road through Gort being disgracefully bad as far back as 3 years ago. It's just laughable that nothing has been done to improve it since then, being a national route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It was disgracefully bad for longer than that, like Balinasloe and Loughrea were. These two got resurfaced, and Loughrea's main street was rebuilt completely, but now has been dug up at junctions to put down gas mains....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

See link to Wills Bros website below confirming October 2010 completion date for G/C.

http://www.willsbros.com/Road_and_Bridge_Construction/86/project-page.html

Going on progress I'd still stick with July 2010 in the run up to Galway races as posted previously on this thread

• Advertisement

black47 wrote: »
    See link to Wills Bros website below confirming October 2010 completion date for G/C.

http://www.willsbros.com/Road_and_Bridge_Construction/86/project-page.html

Going on progress I'd still stick with July 2010 in the run up to Galway races as posted previously on this thread

Interesting to see the Price 81m, i thought it was a lot more than that.

anyway, any opening in 2010 is fantastic, the earlier the better

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement