Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

black47 wrote: »
    Going on progress I'd still stick with July 2010 in the run up to Galway races as posted previously on this thread

I personally did not predict that this particular scheme would open in time for the races lest any demented finger waggers show up to hound me :cool:

In fact if Wills get it open for the races I think that only Wills and Roadbridge should be allowed to bid for any big road contract in Ireland for the next 5 years .

It would be a simply outstanding piece of project management and we cannot lose companies like Wills and Roadbridge who have project management capabilities above the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

glineli wrote: »
    Interesting to see the Price 81m, i thought it was a lot more than that.

anyway, any opening in 2010 is fantastic, the earlier the better

I would think that the construction cost is €81, excluding land acquisition costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I personally did not predict that this particular scheme would open in time for the races lest any demented finger waggers show up to hound me :cool:

In fact if Wills get it open for the races I think that only Wills and Roadbridge should be allowed to bid for any big road contract in Ireland for the next 5 years .

It would be a simply outstanding piece of project management and we cannot lose companies like Wills and Roadbridge who have project management capabilities above the norm.

Ironically enough they have tendered in separate J/V for Gort To Tuam. Shame really.

http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/SecondPPPRoadsProgramme/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

black47 wrote: »
    See link to Wills Bros website below confirming October 2010 completion date for G/C.

http://www.willsbros.com/Road_and_Bridge_Construction/86/project-page.html

Going on progress I'd still stick with July 2010 in the run up to Galway races as posted previously on this thread

Good find on that balck47. I reckon it will be completed before that. My original guess was September 2010 that may now be late August 2010 judging on continued rapid rate of construction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

AFAIK Roadbridge have never tendered with Wills Bros. Roadbridge's usual partner are Sisk/Lagan. Wills usually go in with SIAC for their JV's.

BTW it's SIAC/Wills doing the N18 Crusheen-Gort. My experiences of Wills wouldn't have been the mae west in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Roryhy wrote: »
    I would think that the construction cost is €81, excluding land acquisition costs.

That's value for money in anyone's eyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

nordydan wrote: »
    That's value for money in anyone's eyes!

The rates/km were very very low considering some of the ground that they have to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Incase anyones wondering, I was the one who suggested a Races 2010 opening for this and it seems to have spread. Seems to me like a reasonable target and something similar to the Races 2009 opening of Athlone - Ballinasloe on the M6. Its pure guesswork though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 crusheenman

AFAIK Roadbridge have never tendered with Wills Bros. Roadbridge's usual partner are Sisk/Lagan. Wills usually go in with SIAC for their JV's.

BTW it's SIAC/Wills doing the N18 Crusheen-Gort. My experiences of Wills wouldn't have been the mae west in the past.

Any expericences ive had are top notch with them and any one in the area.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

i'll second that!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

AndysLittlePet, two posts in and you're drawing my attention. Posts should be of a higher standard than what you're putting up here. Please read the forum charter before posting again.

Furet, the above poster can be banned from this forum and can be recommended to the moderaters to ban from the entire site also. No significant contributions will be made by this person or organization (ie 3 dumbasses) in the near future as they have a brain the size of an ant. Will pm you later.

Nuked. :)

Cheers :)

Now back to the M18, the Gort to Crusheen scheme is progressing very well lately. The earthworks are well advanced near the tie in with the Ennis bypass scheme. The embarkment is well advanced for the Ballyline overbridge.

No pics this time, will try to get some next time I pass.

Hey guys, a local guy working for a Dumptruck hire company on hire to Wills told me that they have cut down on the amount of plant on site. i.e only Wills Own plant now working on earthworks. Hope this does not slow the project down... some Taring work has started on some of the side roads also, it is been mixed from Wills own Plant i am told... Is there a such thing as a mobile tar plant it was moved from the Athlone Job ???

Hey guys, a local guy working for a Dumptruck hire company on hire to Wills told me that they have cut down on the amount of plant on site. i.e only Wills Own plant now working on earthworks. Hope this does not slow the project down... some Taring work has started on some of the side roads also, it is been mixed from Wills own Plant i am told... Is there a such thing as a mobile tar plant it was moved from the Athlone Job ???

Almost all schemes set up their own asphalt 'batching' plants. The units are assembled and then disassembled as surfacing nears completion. The Gort to Crusheen scheme seems to have most of the bulk earthworks complete, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were less guys working on it now. I'd say you'd have a fair few dumpers for laying CBM and a few excavators on site still. The landscaping contractor will bring his own machinery on site when the time comes. The barrier is laid by a small crew as well, as is the tarmac itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Target opening date is in time for the Galway Races next year

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9244-nra-chief039s-strong-signal-gort-tuam-motorway-still-track
    once the Gort to Crusheen section of the N18 is completed around the middle of next year.

Some photos of the M18 posted over on polish forum over on skyscrapercity
    sassenach wrote: »
    p1100298n18przedshannon.jpg

p1100301m18.jpg

p1100305m18zjazdnaennis.jpg

Still mistakes :(

p1100298n18przedshannon.jpg

Why is the countdown '1' marker blue? The road is still N18 here, it should be green.
    Edit: Shouldnt the Galway/Ennis sign be green too with (M18) written beneath? At the point where the gantry is, its still N18.

p1100305m18zjazdnaennis.jpg

Why isnt the roundabout sign up the sliproad blue? Still under motorway regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

First photo - blue countdown markers before the start of a motorway are common. Not correct I suspect but they're there on other roads too (M6, M4 at Lucan at least)

Second photo - the green sign is after the chopsticks isn't it?

• Advertisement

Chopsticks are wrong so. Its motorway right up to the roundabout (or the end of the slip road).

www.openstreetmap.org has the best images of where its motorway and where it isnt, because road nerds drew it :D

Ah, but the sign agrees with the chopsticks ;)

Theres a chance the chopsticks were placed there to save reprinting the sign.

Mentioning OSM, I have a (one way) trace of the brand new Dunboyne Bypass on an etrex in my car if anyone can make anything usable of it? Doubt its on yet seeing as it opened last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

also that white van shouldn't be on the hatch marking where the lanes merge.

biffoman wrote: »
    also that white van shouldn't be on the hatch marking where the lanes merge.

Good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Nath wrote: »
    So, assuming this goes ahead, there will be motorway from Patrickswell to north of Tuam within 3 years, assuming a 2 year construction time?

Nope - There'll still be a motorway gap south of Shannon.

MYOB wrote: »
    Mentioning OSM, I have a (one way) trace of the brand new Dunboyne Bypass on an etrex in my car if anyone can make anything usable of it? Doubt its on yet seeing as it opened last night!

It's already mapped - I surveyed it a while ago on foot, and I've just opened it this evening. But thanks - trace donations are in general very useful. Right now I'd love one for the Tullamore Bypass.

mackerski wrote: »
    It's already mapped - I surveyed it a while ago on foot, and I've just opened it this evening. But thanks - trace donations are in general very useful. Right now I'd love one for the Tullamore Bypass.

Unlikely from me in the next week anyway, unfortunately... I suspect OSM already has the N2 and N4 which is about all I'll be driving for the next while!

MYOB wrote: »
    Unlikely from me in the next week anyway, unfortunately... I suspect OSM already has the N2 and N4 which is about all I'll be driving for the next while!

Yes, though not all features (petrol stations etc.) or turnings along it, so keep logging and you never know what good will come of it.

I had a good look at the scheme today which I haven't had a chance to do for a few months. So whats going on with it? Well the first major note is nearly all earthworks are completed, although there is one section where more groundwork has to be done before the construction of the last overbridge to start.

Shanaglish Overbridge is very close to completion. As you can see the asphalt is being laid over now with the side rail and footpath down.

DSC02633.jpg

Looking east from Shanaglish overbridge
    DSC02634.jpg

Looking west from Shanaglish overbridge
    DSC02635.jpg

R460 overbridge is also very advanced
    DSC02636.jpg
    DSC02637.jpg

Mainline north of the R460 overbridge
    DSC02638.jpg

Mainline north of the Curraderra overbridge
    DSC02625.jpg

Curraderra Overbridge
    DSC02626.jpg

Gortahover overbridge
    DSC02630.jpg

Crusheen Interchange
    DSC02627.jpg

Lahardan overbridge
    DSC02628.jpg

Tubber to Crusheen overbridge
    DSC02629.jpg

• Advertisement

This section needs close attention where the Rathwilladoon overbridge is being construced. The area is flooded with water as the mainline passes through a Turlough in the area. It was realigned to avoid parts of it due to habitat in the area of the Turlough, blasting is ongoing on the limestone here at the moment. The overbridge will be the last to start on this scheme.

Looking south
    DSC02632.jpg

Looking north
    DSC02631.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement